Royal Gossip
May 27, 2017, 08:27:34 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sophie accepts bloody jewels  (Read 5557 times)
Tatiana
Countess

I come from a long line of Monarchists.

« on: January 07, 2012, 12:26:02 am »

Sophie , Sophie, Sophie ..  bignono

The Countess of Wessex has accepted two lavish sets of jewels from one of the Arab region’s most bloody regimes.
Sophie, wife of Prince Edward, was handed the fabulous ‘suites’ of gems in December by the Bahraini royal family

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2083358/Sophies-gems-despots-Countess-Wessex-accepted-jewellery-bloody-Bahrain.html#ixzz1ijAsTW6Y

Alexandrine
Super Moderator

« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2012, 02:18:05 pm »

wopedo

But at the same time I *despise* how some regimes are considered ok and others are not; the BRF and other RFs receive lots of jewels from the middle east but sometimes this is accepted and others it isn't.

Furthermore, they shouldn't even be able to receive gifts.

“Three things are to be looked to in a building: that it stand on the right spot, that it be securely founded, that it be successfully executed.” ~ Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
YooperModerator
Super Moderator

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2012, 11:32:27 pm »

Yeah and if she had refused them she would have caused diplomatic trouble due to insult! X-Mas_rolleyes
It's one of the things you just can't do in the Arabic culture!
You just don't refuse their hospitality and the gifts that come with them!  bignono
To refuse would be as if you would spit in there face!
That's just not done!

\\\"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.\\\"  Thomas Jefferson
Tatiana
Countess

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2012, 11:47:35 pm »

Then it should have been taken as a gift to the country and used for funding some very good causes.

YooperModerator
Super Moderator

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2012, 12:09:37 am »

You got a point there. that would have been a good way to deal with this sticky situation.

\\\"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.\\\"  Thomas Jefferson
meememe
Duchess

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2012, 01:56:02 am »

To sell them would be just as big an insult as it would have been to reject them. 

These jewels will end up in the royal collection - the rules have changed and although they will be Sophie's for now when she dies they will be in the royal collection that is owned by the nation.

All royal ladies who visit the Middle Eastern states end up with these types of jewels and within their culture to refuse the gifts is an unforgivable insult. 

The fault lies with the British government - they know the set up but they allow the royal ladies to visit these nations and then let them take the flak for accepting the gifts.
Kuei Fei
Princess

Moderator/I'm so royal I piss blue

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2012, 05:56:54 am »

Yeah and if she had refused them she would have caused diplomatic trouble due to insult! X-Mas_rolleyes
You just don't refuse their hospitality and the gifts that come with them!  bignono
That's just not done!

I wish the DM would acquaint themselves and the readers with this fact.

It's easy for the DM and the readers to judege, they aren't the ones who are living and working and dealing at this level; the RF is at a point where more often than not, personal principles have to be set aside and cultural courtesies accepted and gone along with. I wonder how many DM editors clearly understand just how often the people at 'the top' are often forced to set certain better parts of their personalities aside in order for things to be run smoothly. The point is that Bahrain and the UAE in general are the only liberal places where people from the West can go and do business without getting stoned by crazy mobs and having to wear a burka. I am so sick and tired of these tabloid reporters getting nasty about stuff like this, not at all bothering to understand that to refuse would make trade ties difficult and diplomatic relations well nigh impossible.

This is just more Wessex bashing; the DM has basically exhausted themselves with bashing the York princesses and Harry, so now they are moving on to the Wessexes. Is it just me or is British tabloid culture getting out of control? I cannot understand why teh press in Britain doesn't equate themselves with these salient facts?

To receive regular news, go to "@gossippsychotic" to get updates from various other gossip websites such as "Downtown Chatter" or "Royal Gossip Psychotic" and end up reading all about all sorts of peccadilloes.
Alexandrine
Super Moderator

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2012, 02:01:10 pm »

I knew that the jewels go to the royal collection, but I still think that there is too little transparency of the gifts they get from third people (although at least they have some kind of rules other RFs do not!).

If it's part of the royal collection and then of the state, all the gifts should be made public.

Possibly they thought that no one would know about the gift  thumbsdown

“Three things are to be looked to in a building: that it stand on the right spot, that it be securely founded, that it be successfully executed.” ~ Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Catrina
courtier

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2012, 08:23:12 pm »

Which is why comments of Charles discrediting other members of the RF sound very very valid.

In the future, a gift given to someone by an evil dictator will be just that - a historic item.

Also, as one bahraini commenter said: in Bahrain, the king gives and gives to the people, but it is the riots and guerrilla groups that make it seem as though he's not wanted.

Think about last year's riots near London, and how the international press could spin them to mean they're against the Queen because she's such a despot and what not. That's Bahrain's case.
Kuei Fei
Princess

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2012, 10:51:53 pm »

I don't think it's Charles, I think it's William.

Even Charles wouldn't og this far and he (Charles) has no reason to end up doing this against his sister-in-law.

To receive regular news, go to "@gossippsychotic" to get updates from various other gossip websites such as "Downtown Chatter" or "Royal Gossip Psychotic" and end up reading all about all sorts of peccadilloes.
Tatiana
Countess

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2012, 07:18:01 am »

It is Charles, William does not have the clout, nor does he have any reason to do so.

Charles has every reason to do so.

Charles , Edward and Sophie have been at odds for some years now, due to Ardent, and the fact HM is very fond of Sophie.

Not to mention that Sophie has looked down her nose at Mrs Parker Bowles and made little secret of it.

Besides Charles will not tolerate anyone who takes the attention from himself and his mistress.

Mark my words, when HM is no more .. we shall rarely see the Wessex family.

Palace says Sophie will NOT return the jewels ..

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2084009/Sophie-wont-tainted-jewels-gifted-bloody-Bahrain-says-Palace.html
« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 07:24:55 am by Tatiana » Logged

serene grace
Princess

Appointed Moderator

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2012, 09:37:39 am »

You just don't refuse their hospitality and the gifts that come with them!  bignono
That's just not done!

I wish the DM would acquaint themselves and the readers with this fact.

This is just more Wessex bashing; the DM has basically exhausted themselves with bashing the York princesses and Harry, so now they are moving on to the Wessexes. Is it just me or is British tabloid culture getting out of control? I cannot understand why teh press in Britain doesn't equate themselves with these salient facts?

I agree, the notice DMail is being selective in what they notice some Royals do and what they ignore in others. I can only magine the uproar in the DailyMail if Sophie and Pr.Edward attended a movie premiere, then had a gathering in which everyone had to pay $10,000 to meet them. It would have been labeled cozing up to celebs,using their positions for money and scandalous instead of a stunning night out like they call it when others do it.
I knew when Sophie came riding up in the car sitting next to the Queen that the DailyMail was going to see red.
This is more press bashing, imo.
We still have no clue where certain jewels a new Duchess wore a few weeks ago came from (all the palace would say was a family friend and that was good enough for the DailyMail and the rest of the press, no other questions asked.

« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 09:40:25 am by serene grace » Logged

[/URL]
Kuei Fei
Princess

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2012, 07:52:41 pm »

This is why I think that if anyone is behind anything, it would be William. Charles has no problem accepting massive gifts for either wife and there is not at all any reason to attack Edward or Sophie. Quite honestly I am sure that William and Kate (mainly Kate) have been using hte DM to target practice on various members of the RF and this is why I'm not really getting worked up about this. It's humerous because I am sure that if Kate were gifted a massive suite of jewels from an Arab sheik or dictator she would certainly not refuse due to some principle.

serene grace
Princess

Appointed Moderator

« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2012, 11:47:54 pm »

I think it's PW's man in his press office, is it JLP? He's been creeping around PW and Kate since their dating days, I think he sees Kate's climb in the Royal House as his mission. He's a climber himself. I think Sophie still being the Queen's favorite really bother's certain people in Pr.William's camp,because they want Kate to have that spot. I never liked the way he looked so please with himself hovering over Kate at sports outings when she was waiting for PW.

[/URL]
Magnolia
Duchess

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2012, 12:34:40 am »

Off topic but this JLP dude does he work for Harry too?
If he likes Lazy too much I really don't trust him and Harry should get someone else. snob

THIS IS YOU:NET- FXCKER A PERSON WHO SPENDS DAYS ON THE INTERNET AT A TIME USUALLY LATE AT NIGHT OR VERY EARLY IN THE MORNING HE OR SHE IS A RECLUSE AND A NET-FXCKER! THIS IS YOU:NET-JUNKIES TEND TO NOT HAVE LIVES ALTHOUGH ON RARE OCCASIONS ONE OF THEM UNWITTINGLY DOWNLOADS IT FROM THE INTERNET
meememe
Duchess

« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2012, 01:29:28 am »

Yes he does work for both of them.  At the moment neither of them do enough work to warrant separate offices so Harry's is piggybacked to William's.  When William and Kate go to full time royal duties Harry might be able to have his own office or just go back to his father's but I don't think he wants to.  I do think Harry is happy with Kate and with the way things are going.  He thinks it is all good. 
Yooper
Princess

« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2012, 01:48:53 am »

^Perhaps.  But, I tend to believe that Harry doesn't give a rip one way or another about Kate and, frankly, finds her kind of a joke.

As for the jewels, it is diplomatic suicide to refuse unless you are under an article of war.

\"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.\"  Thomas Jefferson
Kuei Fei
Princess

« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2012, 02:20:55 am »

I wonder how many of these self righteous idiots would do the same if they were in the situation and it was made clear that to refuse would mean wrecking the relations between the two countries? Easy when you aren't the one in the situation.

Yooper
Princess

« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2012, 02:34:31 am »

Too many, KF.  TOOOOO many.

\"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.\"  Thomas Jefferson
Kuei Fei
Princess

« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2012, 03:49:58 pm »

Actually when I think about it, I have to admit you have a good point.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: