Royal Gossip
April 25, 2019, 05:21:12 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Charles & Camilla's Marriage: is it legal?  (Read 20218 times)
Alexandrine
Super Moderator

« Reply #80 on: November 18, 2011, 10:10:14 pm »

I agree Mosaic I don't think that polls can prove anything. Imo the death of QEII will bring many changes in the UK not just because there will be a new king but because a new era will start and public perception is not positive towards Charles&Camilla. Just consider if the young people would have tried to attack the queen's car or the low number of people that came to see them in Canada.

“Three things are to be looked to in a building: that it stand on the right spot, that it be securely founded, that it be successfully executed.” ~ Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
mousiekins
Super Moderator

Harryite #2

« Reply #81 on: November 18, 2011, 10:31:02 pm »

Meememe,

there may not be a poll saying it outright plus polls are not actually a good indicator of anything really as they are only done to prove the opinion of those who make it. I have worked for firms and people who did polls and basically everytime they were made to guarantee the outcome desired.

Plus as mentioned before timing is everything, having a poll mere weeks after the Royal Wedding was always going to say the monarchy is loved because everyone was still in the glow of the wedding. Just like when a poll was done just days after the Golden Jubilee it was of course going to be in favour because everyone was proud to have a RF after the celebration we just had.

Also the polls I was 'involved' with were always worded to make sure they answered what you wished usually making it possible to say either yes or no depending what they wanted.
For example here is a poll I saw yesterday, Is Kate Middleton either a) a style icon or b) simply stylish.
Now I think she is neither but if I had to answer I would have to go with b because it is by default the one I think most.
So this poll will say she is stylish either way even though there will be many like me who think she is a walking fashion mistake

But back to the original question, living in the UK the talk of ending the Monarchy is talked of more openly and in more quarters then in has in a long time. I cannot show you a definitive poll to prove this but if I did whichever poll I showed would be bias in one way or another. However I can say there does seem to be a dissatisfaction in the RF even with HM herself. Revolutions do not start or happen with polls they are done underground, in dark corners and slowly.

However I can give you a statistic or sorts, the anti monarchy groups gain more members each year. Their intake of members double each year and this year even around the wedding - which in years past would mean a stop of members as many are caught up in the hype - still had a huge influx of members.  
« Last Edit: November 18, 2011, 10:33:46 pm by mousiekins » Logged

Tatiana
Countess

I come from a long line of Monarchists.

« Reply #82 on: November 19, 2011, 04:55:44 am »

I can only go by the people I know personally.. none of have really changed their minds about Charles, Camilla, HM, PP ...

HM and PP are regarded with much affection.

Charles and Camilla, generate laughter or disdain for the most part.

...and most would like to see William as their next King, for most the jury is still out on Kate.

meememe
Duchess

« Reply #83 on: November 19, 2011, 07:35:38 am »

So based on annecdotal evidence you are drawing a conclusion that there is consensus to end the monarchy.  I know no one in the UK who wants to do so - and I have just posted well over 1000 Christmas cards to friends and family there.  So my annecdotal evidence is that there is no support for a republic there.

I have sent an email to them to ask them to get back to me with the number of their friends that they have contact with in the next week who would support a republic - it will be interesting to see in a week's time how many of my 1000+ friends and family who a) respond and b) what they say.  All I have asked them to do is ask their friends etc if they support the idea of a republic for the UK at some time in the future.
mousiekins
Super Moderator

Harryite #2

« Reply #84 on: November 19, 2011, 08:34:22 am »

My post was not annecdotal and I did give you a fact.

It is also proof that is not bias like a poll done just after a Royal Wedding when everyone is still  flirt oohh pretty dress lets keep the monarchy.

Alexandrine
Super Moderator

« Reply #85 on: November 20, 2011, 01:42:59 pm »

There are people who want a republic (http://www.republic.org.uk/index.php) they have 3,262 followers in twitter so not a small number.

However, I don't think that people want a republic but passing over Charles and have William as king. But this feeling may change when the Queen dies and there is a new king.

“Three things are to be looked to in a building: that it stand on the right spot, that it be securely founded, that it be successfully executed.” ~ Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Tatiana
Countess

« Reply #86 on: November 20, 2011, 08:08:45 pm »

I shudder to think what will happen when HM passes, I really do.

Alexandrine
Super Moderator

« Reply #87 on: February 16, 2012, 07:19:39 pm »

By George! Descendants of monarch have to ask Queen's PERMISSION to marry due to 1772 law

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2101954/By-George-Descendants-monarch-ask-Queens-PERMISSION-marry-1772-law-repealed.html#ixzz1mZeqfr6A

so asking for permission to marry is not against human rights??

Jane23
Princess

« Reply #88 on: February 16, 2012, 09:14:53 pm »

^Harry has to have her permission your point? Anyway she gives her consent not "permission" and it's not like the Queen forbid anyone from marrying it's more of a symbolic thing...in Prince Charles case she gave her consent his marriage is legal.
Alexandrine
Super Moderator

« Reply #89 on: February 16, 2012, 09:57:08 pm »

C&C used the argument that not being able to marry in the anglican church because of being divorce and part of the royal family was against their human rights. It's not symbolic if they don't have permission they lose their position in the line of succession. Even Prince Ernest asked the Queen permission to marry Princess Caroline.

milagro
courtier

« Reply #90 on: February 16, 2012, 10:06:21 pm »

This is a very interesting discussion. I have some questions.
Did Camilla get her first marriage dissolved by church? I take it she had been married to Parker-Bowles in church and he's still alive.
PaulaB
courtier

« Reply #91 on: February 17, 2012, 06:46:54 am »

Not Catholics! And not everyone is the next head of the Anglican church.

Catholics do divorce my brother in law's sister married a non catholic divorced him and got the marriage annulled in the church so she could do the whole church wedding.  As for head of the Anglican Henry VIII anyone? Any way even if the church didn't accept his divorce his ex wife was dead when he remarried so any church (including catholic) would consider him a widower.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 06:51:47 am by PaulaB » Logged
meememe
Duchess

« Reply #92 on: February 17, 2012, 06:49:44 am »

C&C used the argument that not being able to marry in the anglican church because of being divorce and part of the royal family was against their human rights. It's not symbolic if they don't have permission they lose their position in the line of succession. Even Prince Ernest asked the Queen permission to marry Princess Caroline.

Charles would NOT lose his position in the line of succession if he married without consent.  What he would lose is the right of his wife to be HRH and in time HM as well as any children of the marriage wouldn't be able to succeed.

Ernest actually didn't need to ask as he is the descendent of a British princess who married into a foreign royal house - the Hannovers still do so even though they don't need to do so (not do any of the British Royal Family actually - being descendents of both Queen Alexandra and Queen Mary - who were also descendents of British princesses who married into foreign royal houses - those descendents are exempted).
Alexandrine
Super Moderator

« Reply #93 on: February 17, 2012, 04:30:31 pm »

PaulaB there is a misconception in the spanish press about Camilla being catholic which has already been explained to me.

thanks Meememe I love having an expert on royal laws and titles here even though you always have to correct me!  tehe

Tatiana
Countess

« Reply #94 on: February 18, 2012, 12:56:05 am »

If a Catholic marriage is anulled, does it make the children illegitimate, as it did in the old days. ?

milagro
courtier

« Reply #95 on: February 18, 2012, 08:30:45 am »

If a Catholic marriage is anulled, does it make the children illegitimate, as it did in the old days. ?

I don't think marriage can be annulled if there are children unless it is proved the children are not fathered by the husband. But annulment is not the only option, there is ecclesiastic divorce (though it is a very difficult and rare procedure). It does dissolve the marriage but children remain legitimate.
I asked above if Camilla's marriage is dissolved by Church. I never saw any mention of this.
Alexandrine
Super Moderator

« Reply #96 on: February 18, 2012, 12:20:23 pm »

No, it has never made the children illegitimate AFAIK.

Jane23
Princess

« Reply #97 on: February 18, 2012, 01:29:22 pm »

It is a symbolic thing since I have never heard of The Queen forbidding anyone from marrying  tehe I doubt she wanted Mike in the family or that Kate was on top of her list when she thought of a feature Queen Consort for her people just like I doubt she liked how Prince Charles and The Duchess came together the woman never forbid anyone from marrying let alone very distant cousins ...anyway she gave her permission for this marriage so it is legal just saying...
Tatiana
Countess

« Reply #98 on: February 18, 2012, 11:50:59 pm »

Very glad to hear that Alex thankyou

.. just saying..  tehe  laugh

christina01
courtier

« Reply #99 on: February 20, 2012, 03:22:54 am »

I hope you guys don't mind me joining in. My ex husband was catholic, and after we got a divorce, (at his volition) he tried to have our marriage annulled, as were married in a catholic church. The grounds were that he couldnt make me convert. The church virtually told him where to get off, and he was sent packing. What I'm saying is it isn't that easy to get a marriage annulled, which is good IMO.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: