Royal Gossip
December 14, 2017, 06:54:11 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Angry students attempt to disrupt Princess Royal speech  (Read 9242 times)
memyselfandroyals
Countess

Good and bad things return

« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2011, 11:33:20 am »

The problem is there is no jobs to students earn money to pay their degree and they are angry with all of privileges of BRF. I am not stating that what they did to PA was wright. People is freaking out, that's all.

All my comments/posts are only assumptions, thoughts and belifs. I don't make affirmations about facts i don't know about.

Yooper
Princess

« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2011, 04:54:29 pm »

I understand what all of you are saying, but there is a little thing called a student loan that you pay back whether you finish or not, so the ownership factor of your education is YOURS alone and your responsibility.  There are some students who work/save ahead for their education but a lot who work very hard for scholarships and student loans/grants.

When you are the recipient of these scholarships your resume for future hire skyrockets so it is competitive and fierce.  I guess that's the difference with a democracy.  In addition, our population is far higher than Scotlands or the UK put together, so it would be financial suicide to pay for every student who wanted to go to law school, for instance. 

Teachers in higher high school (11-12 grade) begin encouraging students to apply for scholarships way ahead of attending college, so it's a life plan.  I'm glad to hear that if you drop out in Scotland that you have to pay it back, although I wonder how realistic that is and how much interest, if any, is added to the 'loan' from the government.

You see, in our minds, the point is to limit as much government in our lives as possible.  It's getting harder all the time, but the mindset is firm in the US that government doesn't take care of, nor should stick their nose in, what we decide to do with our lives, be that school or doctors, or anything else.  What we have, we have earned and that, to us, means freedom.

Regardless, the way the students treated PA is unreasonable.  IF you want to be a country where the government includes a monarchy that doesn't suit financially, then it's more prudent to extricate yourselves from it, which I firmly believe is the future.

\"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.\"  Thomas Jefferson
Kuei Fei
Princess

« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2011, 03:08:51 am »

The problem is there is no jobs to students earn money to pay their degree and they are angry with all of privileges of BRF. I am not stating that what they did to PA was wright. People is freaking out, that's all.

You're post is quite perfect really; people are rightly angry with the RF that doesn't seem to be putting the people first. The RF still has a security that eludes their 'subjects' and the RF isn't at all putting half as much back in (they are capable of doing more) as they are taking out. The anger is simply manifesting as a target because they are constantly in the public eye and they are promoted so much as being the 'best' and being the 'grandest' of all the monarchies still reigning.

To receive regular news, go to "@gossippsychotic" to get updates from various other gossip websites such as "Downtown Chatter" or "Royal Gossip Psychotic" and end up reading all about all sorts of peccadilloes.
Grey Mare
Countess

« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2011, 03:59:19 pm »

I understand what all of you are saying, but there is a little thing called a student loan that you pay back whether you finish or not, so the ownership factor of your education is YOURS alone and your responsibility.  There are some students who work/save ahead for their education but a lot who work very hard for scholarships and student loans/grants.

True, but the anger these students are expressing really has nothing to who is responsible for their loans. The world is going through some extremely bad economic times and when things get bad like this people are going to lash out at those who they view as being better off or in the public eye. The bad times have nothing to do with the RF but the blame is going to fall on them if things get worse and the public continues to grow in anger.
memyselfandroyals
Countess

« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2011, 11:00:02 pm »

You're post is quite perfect really

Thanks KF  Embarrassed

All my comments/posts are only assumptions, thoughts and belifs. I don't make affirmations about facts i don't know about.

Kuei Fei
Princess

« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2011, 12:06:19 am »

True, but the anger these students are expressing really has nothing to who is responsible for their loans. The world is going through some extremely bad economic times and when things get bad like this people are going to lash out at those who they view as being better off or in the public eye. The bad times have nothing to do with the RF but the blame is going to fall on them if things get worse and the public continues to grow in anger.

The more fear that is out there, hte more angry people will be with those whose job it is to solve these problems and restructure the economy responsibly.

To receive regular news, go to "@gossippsychotic" to get updates from various other gossip websites such as "Downtown Chatter" or "Royal Gossip Psychotic" and end up reading all about all sorts of peccadilloes.
Yooper
Princess

« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2011, 03:48:40 pm »

http://gawker.com/5845775/police-corral-arrest-occupy-wall-street-protesters-on-brooklyn-bridge

There's anger about the financial collapse everywhere.  It's just a different point of view is all I was trying to say.  In this case, the protesters on Wall Street haven't fully provided a clear statement, but the response is typical US-speak.  Maybe this will help make my stance a bit more clear.  Some quotes:

I really like what's happening even though it will do about as much good as when these same people demonstrated against the Iraq war in the 2000s. But this kind of crap from the MSNBC article makes me crazy:

"Erin Larkins, a graduate student at Columbia University who says she and her boyfriend have $130,000 combined in student loan debt, was among the thousands of protesters on the bridge. She said a friend persuaded her to join the march and she's glad she did."

If you have $130,000 in student loan debt, why the *copulate* are you going to graduate school at Columbia?

On Government bailout of student loans:

First of all, it doesn't matter if I only had to pay a cent of it. It's not my responsibility nor the responsibility of other tax payers. These are people who were of sound mind when they made the decision to go into debt to finance their education. They were not duped. They simply came to the procrastinator's reckoning point and are now all like "rabble!!"

Second of all, the stimulative effect argument is shortsighted. Yes, it would free up consumer spending, but it was also put the gov't into 100% debt-to-gdp range, which is historically the point where *poo* goes haywire for economies. See the example of the Southern European countries, investors aren't buying their bonds anymore because they don't trust them, at that point, economic growth becomes impossible...

The idea of forgiving all student debt, which I have seen heralded both here and in several other protest articles, is crazy. If you got upside down with your student loans and have a degree in a noncompetitive field, with no hope of ever repaying, why the hell did you go to a school couldn't afford and why the hell should anyone else have to pay for your four years of French Lit at Columbia?

I knew my parents weren't going to pay my way once I decided on my degree program and when faced with the realities of tuition and living expenses, I TURNED DOWN my number one prestige school and went to a very good state school and still worked at Banana Rebublic to make my nut. I had manageable debt when I graduated, and although I still think my Mom was wrong to make me pay my way, it certainly showed me how to make decisions that wouldn't cripple me financially and I am pissed every time I see "Forgive All Student Debt" as a way to get our economy going.

Protest? Sure. Take a works project job and build a damn or something? No way this group of mollycoddled, entitled, wanna be communists would ever touch manual labor. Over educated and allergic to dust.   

Sorry so long, but the point is, people are protesting everywhere and I fully agree that it's an anger-point that is frustrating and somebody needs a place of attack, which is why this attack of Wall Street makes about as much sense as attacking PA.  But, people still look at their anger from a different place.  We do NOT see the reason for the gov't (IOW, the taxpayers) should be burdened any more and if you go to University, pay for it.  This, from our side is about higher-end corporate greed, which is just people without crowns, I suppose, getting perks that they may or may not have earned.  In capitalism, it's every man/woman for his/herself.

\"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.\"  Thomas Jefferson
memyselfandroyals
Countess

« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2011, 09:51:20 pm »

I understand you and agree with you, but pay how, Yooper? There is no jobs!that's the point. banks don't lend money to students to go to the university in Europe (at least in some countries anymore). Young generations are desespared.

Yooper
Princess

« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2011, 10:32:37 pm »

Well, no, why should the banks provide loans when the tuitions are supported by taxpayer monies.  I see their point.  The way our students get money is varied and all over the map, but basically, most students in the US use a two-pronged approach and get a federal loan which must be paid back no matter what, but no interest accrued while a student, and then scholarships which are nurtured and planned for and worked for ahead of admittance, based on grade point average and area of study.  The only exception I know of is the Pell grant and there is no pay back for it, but it isn't very large and is a small piece of the pie.

There are work-study programs (what I did), scholarships, gov't/state loans, and any savings accrued.  But, in each university or junior college (2 year) there is a financial aid department and each student gets their butts there asap to get what they can as early as they can.   

What I do, at times, is work mostly with graduate student Fellowships.  These are funded by private donors through the university and are funded through an endowment set up by a donor and is a very worthwhile program that I adore working with.  Fellowships do not have to be paid back, but the work is arduous and respected.  Anybody who's had a Fellow knows what I mean.

The bottom line is that, if you work hard enough and are dedicated enough, you can get into a university in the US.  It just has to be paid back whether you graduate or not, so you are under the gun to commit yourself.  I think that's the only difference.

The cold, hard fact, however, is that the wealthy students whose parents can afford to pay for a top-tier education, do indeed have it much easier than others less fortunate, but that is what our government is based on, which is capitalism or free market.  If you want to get ahead, you work your a$$ off, become competitive, inventive or entrepreneurial, whatever it takes.

It kind of becomes a habit that, well, most families I know, take any monies given to their children for their birthdays or holidays or whatever and put it away in their college fund, if applicable.  It's just ingrained in most people's minds.  I know of very few families who are not already thinking about college the minute their kid graduates at least from the 6th grade.  Some kids take a year off after graduating from high school and work, stay at home and save.  After the first year of university, the student is allowed to stay off campus and mom or dad or whomever usually houses the kid (I did four times) until they finish.  Never, ever, ever, do we expect the gov't to do anything without being paid back in entire, if it comes to that.

What the Wall Street protests are about is still a little convoluted to me, but it's boiling down to the same problem everybody has...lack of jobs.  Even with a four year degree, you're in trouble.  It takes at least a masters now to get anywhere in the US.  It's a sad state of affairs but a fact to be dealt with.

Grace and Diana Fan
Baroness

« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2012, 10:17:18 pm »

Is there a site where I can hear or watch her speech?
Tatiana
Countess

I come from a long line of Monarchists.

« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2012, 10:49:37 pm »

You might want to try here ... http://www.ed.ac.uk/home

I loved Edinburgh Uni .. have very happy memories.

Anne will be a good Chancellor.

... Scottish Education at it's best, available to the rich and not so rich.

Two of my siblings lecture at Edinburgh Uni.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 10:52:00 pm by Tatiana » Logged

royalwindsorfan
gossip insider

« Reply #31 on: August 05, 2013, 04:54:50 pm »

So, students in the UK don't pay for their own college ed with loans, scholarships or working?  I have a difficult time wrapping my head around that.  A person, from my experience, who has to earn their education, has more appreciation. Now, it would be great if the BRF sponsored students thru competitive scholarships.  They may do that already.  Dunno, but free higher ed is, to me, not as wise as working for it. Sorry. 

I had a friend from leeds who told me that they got free college education at least some.i don't think they have to get the loans that they do in the usa
mysha
Countess

What should have been

« Reply #32 on: August 05, 2013, 05:01:20 pm »

Undergrad degree cost £9,000 if a UK student
Direct govt give loans of £9,000 plus living £3,000 but it is not easy and much paperwork

It changed from under £3,000
International students pay a lot more, over £20,000

There is NO free uni in UK unless you get a scholarship.
YooperModerator
Super Moderator

« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2013, 06:36:49 pm »

euhm gal's this is an old topic so please don't revive it.
I like that you wanna give your two cents but it's a bit weird to see these year old stuff pop up again.
Next time just start a new topic okay!

flower A

\\\"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.\\\"  Thomas Jefferson
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: