Royal Gossip
July 23, 2017, 05:55:44 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Angry students attempt to disrupt Princess Royal speech  (Read 8344 times)
Alexandrine
Super Moderator

« on: September 27, 2011, 07:40:40 pm »

Angry students attempt to disrupt Princess Royal speech

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/universityeducation/8790523/Angry-students-attempt-to-disrupt-Princess-Royal-speech.html

Photos: Harry Potter author JK Rowling receives award for 'remarkable act of philanthropy' after £10million university donation

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2042257/Harry-Potter-author-JK-Rowling-receives-philanthropy-award-10m-donation.html#ixzz1ZBCdEWdI

“Three things are to be looked to in a building: that it stand on the right spot, that it be securely founded, that it be successfully executed.” ~ Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Lauracrazygirl
courtier

« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2011, 08:35:00 pm »

OK, Right message, wrong target.

Princess Anne is one of only afew members of the british royal family I respect. I feel bad that she was yelled at because of the raise in tutions fees. But the students are right. We can afford to send will/kate on a grand tour to Canada/USA but we cant help students get a decent education at a reasonable price.

It may also interest you all to know. That there are 3 protest marches in Glasgow over this weekend (one on thusday,saturday and sunday I'm going to the one on saturday!) that are solely protesting the tories cut backs and tutions fees, I think this is something of a build up to these protests. Keep an eye open people. The next few days are going to be interesting.
Kuei Fei
Princess

Moderator/I'm so royal I piss blue

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2011, 08:48:25 pm »

Usually Princess Anne gets the best reception from crowds; it's definately getting ugly out there.

To receive regular news, go to "@gossippsychotic" to get updates from various other gossip websites such as "Downtown Chatter" or "Royal Gossip Psychotic" and end up reading all about all sorts of peccadilloes.
rogue
Duchess

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2011, 09:38:50 pm »

Princess Anne is one of only afew members of the british royal family I respect. I feel bad that she was yelled at because of the raise in tutions fees. But the students are right. We can afford to send will/kate on a grand tour to Canada/USA but we cant help students get a decent education at a reasonable price.

It may also interest you all to know. That there are 3 protest marches in Glasgow over this weekend (one on thusday,saturday and sunday I'm going to the one on saturday!) that are solely protesting the tories cut backs and tutions fees, I think this is something of a build up to these protests. Keep an eye open people. The next few days are going to be interesting.

Good Luck , Laura Hi Is it true that the Scots get free education ?
Kuei Fei
Princess

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2011, 10:26:24 pm »

In all frankness, if you do blow that kind of money on a degree, it should not be something centered on the arts; if/when I decide to go back, it'll be in medicine, the sciences, not arts or anything I can get a certificate in.

To receive regular news, go to "@gossippsychotic" to get updates from various other gossip websites such as "Downtown Chatter" or "Royal Gossip Psychotic" and end up reading all about all sorts of peccadilloes.
memyselfandroyals
Countess

Good and bad things return

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2011, 11:19:35 pm »

When crises rise, people usually fed up the wealthy classes, in british case, BRF.

All my comments/posts are only assumptions, thoughts and belifs. I don't make affirmations about facts i don't know about.

Kuei Fei
Princess

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2011, 01:10:07 am »

Given how used they are to this, you would think that by now, they would know how to respond effectively.

Yooper
Princess

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2011, 05:57:18 am »

$36K (that's what, $50k in US approx?) is chump change compared to what is paid here for a four year degree.  The average, in the US, is $20k a year, so I'm slightly confused.

\"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.\"  Thomas Jefferson
Grey Mare
Countess

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2011, 04:29:01 pm »

“if you can afford a Princess, you can afford my degree”

I agree with the students. If the RF can afford to bring in someone like Kate who wasted her degree (if you can even call that a degree) while using the educational system to go rich husband hunting and is now living off the public's money through the RF, then students who are serious about getting an education, working and building successful careers should not be left struggling. I like Anne but she and the RF really have a lot of nerve.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2011, 04:31:11 pm by Grey Mare » Logged
Yooper
Princess

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2011, 06:21:22 pm »

So, students in the UK don't pay for their own college ed with loans, scholarships or working?  I have a difficult time wrapping my head around that.  A person, from my experience, who has to earn their education, has more appreciation. Now, it would be great if the BRF sponsored students thru competitive scholarships.  They may do that already.  Dunno, but free higher ed is, to me, not as wise as working for it. Sorry. 

\"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.\"  Thomas Jefferson
Lauracrazygirl
courtier

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2011, 06:51:36 pm »

Good Luck , Laura Hi Is it true that the Scots get free education ?

Allot of it is, some of it is not. It's very complex because every person has different circumstances and there for, some may need to pay half and some don’t need to pay anything.

Take me for example. I am studying a NC and HNC in Childcare (National Certificate - Higher National Certificate)

I’m under 25, my family earns under 45,000 per year. Clearly nether I nor my family can pay for it out right (the over all cost of my education would be about £8,000). So based on my circumstances I am entitled to "Bursary" a one time thing, where the Scottish government kindly pays for my education and because I live 30 miles from my college they pay my travel cost (about £1,500 per year) and on top of all that! I get £50 per week in “maintenance” money, to buy food and college stuff.
And I don’t have to pay any money back once I’ve finish college. I FREAKING LOVE BEING SCOTTISH!!   loveshower  loveshower

But When you turn 25 you don’t get as much support. My older sister had to pay for half of her law degree but she still got her transport paid for and some maintenance money. But the whole system very complex but I hope by using myself as an example you can get a rough idea about how things work in Scotland. I have no idea how much help English students get (if any)

The Scottish government has this philosophy "you teach a person a skill for free they will pay you back in a life time of work." The better educated a person is, the higher their wage thus the higher amount of taxes the Scottish government can get every year. Do you see what I'm getting at? The Scottish government regard education as a long term investment. Yeah, it might cost allot in the short term but the long term benefits will be great.  thumbsup
rogue
Duchess

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2011, 07:25:47 pm »

@Laura , thanks for replying , The reason why i asked was , because somebody placed a snide comment (DM) about how the Scots were getting their education for free .
« Last Edit: September 28, 2011, 07:30:48 pm by rogue » Logged
Kuei Fei
Princess

« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2011, 08:21:57 pm »

The Scottish government has this philosophy "you teach a person a skill for free they will pay you back in a life time of work."

Didn't quite work out for them with Kate, did it?

Lauracrazygirl
courtier

« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2011, 09:10:49 pm »

The Scottish government has this philosophy "you teach a person a skill for free they will pay you back in a life time of work."

Didn't quite work out for them with Kate, did it?

LOL! Well Kate is english. She not entitled to any money from the scottish government,

@Laura , thanks for replying , The reason why i asked was , because somebody placed a snide comment (DM) about how the Scots were getting their education for free .

^^^^ See! I think alot of english students really want westmister to have the same education system as scotland.
YooperModerator
Super Moderator

« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2011, 09:55:01 pm »

Well Laura
Scotland has only like a 5 million population, Wales has 3 million, Northern Ireland 2 million but England has approx 50 million!
So I guess getting the Scottish ed-system for all of the UK is not that simple..
Oh and I know it's off topic here but do Wales and Northern Ireland have their own parliaments as well or is the something only the Scots have in the UK?
I'm just curious..

\\\"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.\\\"  Thomas Jefferson
Yooper
Princess

« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2011, 09:55:18 pm »

^^^ding, ding, KF. No sympathy from me for anyone who gets something without earning it.  WK should be the poster child for dollars wasted.  It's a US state of mind I guess, but sounds like welfare to me. No offense.

Kuei Fei
Princess

« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2011, 10:16:39 pm »

If someone gets that much help, there should be a contract that states taht the student will work for five years after graduation in their degree field and if not, the student is responsible for the bills/tuition that the government paid. There are a lot of women out there who are getting degrees and not using them, wasting time and taking up space that should be going ot people who are serious about a career. It's a slap in the face to the government that pays for the student's schooling and other additional costs as well.

Yooper
Princess

« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2011, 03:28:31 am »

Sounds good to me, KF!  Nothing is 'free'.  Somebody's paying and deserves to have some tangible return. Scholarships are hard-earned as they should be and a sense of accomplishment for one's participation sets the tone for work ethic later. Or how about a college fund? That's what we do from birth.  I do not see how this is the BRF's fault. If you want to go to college, earn it. 

Kuei Fei
Princess

« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2011, 04:06:37 am »

If ever there were a justified focus for anger, it would be Kate; but to be perfectly frank, the 'subjects' of Scotland need to end up dealing with the problem themselves, which is that students are not getting practical degrees in practical topics that will actually pay their bills. Too many students are being as dumb as bricks when it comes to thier actions in regards to choosing their degree subjects. Kate epitomizes the problems that people are having, since Kate decided to sit on her arse not using her degree and the only work she did, was in her degree field. Go figure, eh? Go freaking figure. Princess Anne never went and I honestly think that it's vulgar of the students to be so cruel to Princess Anne, while they couldn't lick Kate's boots enough when she (Kate) deigned to come back.

Lauracrazygirl
courtier

« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2011, 06:28:30 am »

If someone gets that much help, there should be a contract that states taht the student will work for five years after graduation in their degree field and if not, the student is responsible for the bills/tuition that the government paid. There are a lot of women out there who are getting degrees and not using them, wasting time and taking up space that should be going ot people who are serious about a career. It's a slap in the face to the government that pays for the student's schooling and other additional costs as well.
Sounds good to me, KF!  Nothing is 'free'.  Somebody's paying and deserves to have some tangible return. Scholarships are hard-earned as they should be and a sense of accomplishment for one's participation sets the tone for work ethic later. Or how about a college fund? That's what we do from birth.  I do not see how this is the BRF's fault. If you want to go to college, earn it. 

Can I just say. The Bursary that I have is a once in a life time thing. So If I drop out of my course then I have to pay back to the government everything they have already paid for. Or if I simply fail my courses I will have to pay to reset them and I need 100% attendance in order for the government to continue to give me money.  I just wanted to say that cause I think you guys are getting the impression that their are no rules that students have to follow.
I suppose you could call it a welfare of sorts. But we don’t regard it as welfare in Scotland. It's an investment in the people of Scotland. Like I said before the better educated the people are, the better Scotland does as a country.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: