Royal Gossip
October 18, 2017, 10:08:24 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Downton Abbey  (Read 17380 times)
Yooper
Princess

« on: September 19, 2011, 03:54:41 am »

http://www.dnaindia.com/entertainment/report_emmy-awards-live-downton-abbey-wins-three-emmys_1588942

(And Mad Men, yay!!!  John Hamm.  Yummy!)

\"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.\"  Thomas Jefferson
Grace
Countess

« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2012, 04:06:14 pm »

I like this serie very much. loveshower

Yooper
Princess

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2012, 05:11:00 pm »

Yeah, it's HuffPo, but the slams for Season 2 are all over the place here in the US.  This one is gentler.  Has anybody seen it yet and, if so, what do you think?  I have the first episode of #2 on my DVR and haven't watched it yet.  Thanks.  Y.

Still, your investment in the many stories spun out by creator Julian Fellowes may take longer to develop this year, because the costume drama's pace is off in the early going and it's far more contrived and inconsistent than it was in its first season. The fact is, in its first few episodes, as it struggles to get dozens of different stories in motion, "Downton" itself lacks a certain elegance. Gradual buildups are achieved in some story lines, but others suffer from an abruptness that smudges the show's much-celebrated elegance.

Sixteen seconds: That's the length of an Episode 3 scene that almost caused me to throw the TV remote across the room. It's a key meeting between two characters who have endured a painful separation, and the scene's brevity was emblematic of the choppy editing that especially affects the first half of Season 2. Yes, the wordless scene was followed up several minutes later by a conversation between those characters, but what was the point of slicing the scene into bits? There wasn't one.

\"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.\"  Thomas Jefferson
Yooper
Princess

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2012, 05:35:04 pm »

Thanks to the Mod(s) who moved this.  I couldn't find the original thread.

Alexandrine
Super Moderator

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2012, 05:38:08 pm »

That's a good thanks or an ironic thanks?  tehe

“Three things are to be looked to in a building: that it stand on the right spot, that it be securely founded, that it be successfully executed.” ~ Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Yooper
Princess

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2012, 05:01:26 am »

A genuine thanks.

Then, there's this:

http://jezebel.com/5874422/andrew-lloyd-webber-wants-to-buy-downton-abbey-is-being-a-real-dick-about-it

Do hit 'all' for the best comments.  Thank you.  Y.

Alexandrine
Super Moderator

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2012, 09:43:05 am »

Kiss

“Three things are to be looked to in a building: that it stand on the right spot, that it be securely founded, that it be successfully executed.” ~ Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Yooper
Princess

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2012, 06:50:36 pm »

http://jezebel.com/5883808/downton-abbeys-obrien-is-a-total-babe

O'Brien a hottie!  You will not believe your eyes.  I didn't.

Tatiana
Countess

I come from a long line of Monarchists.

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2012, 01:35:41 am »

I enjoy Maggie Smith very much, and the other performers.

However, when I see employer/servant being so open and kind to one another, it leaves me a bit frustrated.

This is so far off base from reality.. but because of Maggie etc I shall continue to watch.

Staff below stairs were rarely spoken to by their employers, and even ladies maids had very strict limits with their mistresses.

Nymph
Countess

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2012, 01:14:45 pm »

The production has taken much license with their story lines, but I only really tune in to see the Maggie Smith's character retorts and note the costumes that I have seen used in other period productions.
HC
Countess

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2012, 10:35:15 am »

I've just seen the beginning of world war 2.

This is such a great serie. Love it.
Kuei Fei
Princess

Moderator/I'm so royal I piss blue

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2012, 01:03:15 pm »

The production has taken much license with their story lines, but I only really tune in to see the Maggie Smith's character retorts and note the costumes that I have seen used in other period productions.

I wonder what the Dowager Countess will have to say about Hitler and the Germans, that is one thing I look forward to.

To receive regular news, go to "@gossippsychotic" to get updates from various other gossip websites such as "Downtown Chatter" or "Royal Gossip Psychotic" and end up reading all about all sorts of peccadilloes.
AlisVolatPropriis
courtier

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2012, 01:12:10 pm »

I love the series but I've only been able to catch season 1 on netflix as we got rid of cable. Season 2 was on PBS.com but I seemed to have missed it blink(

If someone betrays you once, it’s their fault; if they betray you twice, it’s your fault.
Eleanor Roosevelt

"It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities" - J. K. Rowling

Con te partirò
Acornia
Countess

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2012, 05:53:39 am »

I was expecting a very stiff upper lip atmosphere then I spy Mary and Cora crying... a lot. Cora even doing it in front of Mr. Carson once! The music editing is BAD. They get one going for a scene then all of a sudden cut it for the next. It's very choppy and distracting. At least let it flow smoothly (fading) into the next scene.

Maggie Smith has the best lines and I think Julian knows that the audience love it/her.

I think the Season 1 Emmy win was well-deserved. I hated Season 2 - it was all over the place - and still won an Emmy. I haven't seen the other nominations but i don't think DA deserved it. Still, it is always amusing to hear Fellowes make his speech tehe

The Christmas special is really good though! It made up a lot for Season 2.
Yooper
Princess

« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2012, 06:13:29 am »

^Agreed.  Maybe my expectations were too high when S2 came along but it didn't have the same depth as S1, to me.  Maggie Smith keeps me coming back along with the valet's dismal storyline.  The rest was a little too precious for my taste, not that I wasn't glued to it every minute!  HA!

How Fellowes handles WWII should be interesting.

Kuei Fei
Princess

« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2012, 07:33:53 am »

I was expecting a very stiff upper lip atmosphere then I spy Mary and Cora crying... a lot. Cora even doing it in front of Mr. Carson once! The music editing is BAD. They get one going for a scene then all of a sudden cut it for the next. It's very choppy and distracting. At least let it flow smoothly (fading) into the next scene.

I think the Season 1 Emmy win was well-deserved. I hated Season 2 - it was all over the place - and still won an Emmy. I haven't seen the other nominations but i don't think DA deserved it. Still, it is always amusing to hear Fellowes make his speech

From what I've read about Season two, it has been a huge letdown and the thought of an Earl's daughter running off with the Irish car driver is more than a little too farfetched for me to understand. Another disconcerting aspect is the fact that there were more than quite a few celebrity appearances that added characters that had nothing to do with the main set and plots so it was a distraction. All in all, it sounds like Downton might become another 'celebrity playground' where big names make cameo appearances (because said celebs need the cachet) and ends up being like SNL (used to have a brilliant cast, but is now a real joke) and the REAL charm of the show ruined.

Maggie Smith has the best lines and I think Julian knows that the audience love it/her.

She deserves no less; I only hope she doesn't end up the only one who carries the show while the rest become jokes/caricatures.

I loved Season One, but I haven't watched Season two and don't intend to.

To receive regular news, go to "@gossippsychotic" to get updates from various other gossip websites such as "Downtown Chatter" or "Royal Gossip Psychotic" and end up reading all about all sorts of peccadilloes.
Yooper
Princess

« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2012, 02:11:19 pm »

I wouldn't go so far as to say it was a huge letdown, but it was a hard task to keep the magic going with this show.  S1 was a hard act to follow and I enjoyed S2, just not so much.  Some of the actors were at fault as well.  They just didn't seem to be as hungry as they did first time around.  Nobody ever is, tho, and that level of success is a killer.

You know what turned me off?  The instant healing and celestial lift from the wheel chair.  That just smacked of insincerity in writing.  From there on forward it was just a fairy tale.

Acornia
Countess

« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2012, 04:00:51 pm »

^ Oh yes!! That was straight from the cliche book. And Edith's little affair with the farmer... horrible acting.

Now that I think about it, I have no problems at all with the dialogue, it's just the plot (and the execution) that failed me. Stil, for all its faults, I can't wait for Season 3. easter-wink
serene grace
Princess

Appointed Moderator

« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2012, 04:19:23 pm »

From what I've read about Season two, it has been a huge letdown and the thought of an Earl's daughter running off with the Irish car driver is more than a little too farfetched for me to understand. Another disconcerting aspect is the fact that there were more than quite a few celebrity appearances that added characters that had nothing to do with the main set and plots so it was a distraction. All in all, it sounds like Downton might become another 'celebrity playground' where big names make cameo appearances (because said celebs need the cachet) and ends up being like SNL (used to have a brilliant cast, but is now a real joke) and the REAL charm of the show ruined.

She deserves no less; I only hope she doesn't end up the only one who carries the show while the rest become jokes/caricatures.

I loved Season One, but I haven't watched Season two and don't intend to.

It drove me insane that they had the Earl's daughter run away with the family chauffer.

bored3

I love the show, but season 1 was the best. Season 2 was just ok. 

[/URL]
Kuei Fei
Princess

« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2012, 06:37:30 am »

^ Oh yes!! That was straight from the cliche book. And Edith's little affair with the farmer... horrible acting.

A lot of it is becoming a little unrealistic from what I've been reading; aristocratic ladies would NEVER have affairs before marriage. Least of all with someone without a title.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: