Royal Gossip
June 25, 2017, 11:30:39 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 [8] 9 10   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Royal Movies & Documentaries  (Read 27936 times)
D.I.R.
Baroness

« Reply #140 on: May 05, 2015, 06:10:35 am »

YouTube: Farewell, My Queen Official Trailer
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOQfyExCVQk

Farewell, My Queen - Movie English Subbed
- http://www.iwannawatch.to/2012/09/farewell-my-queen-2012/
D.I.R.
Baroness

« Reply #141 on: May 05, 2015, 06:25:46 am »

YouTube - Mary Queen of Scots 2013 - Trailer
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LohK1LZpFsI

Mary Queen of Scots 2013 - Movie
- https://www.solarmovie.is/watch-mary-queen-of-scots-2013.html
D.I.R.
Baroness

« Reply #142 on: May 05, 2015, 06:30:40 am »

Henry of Navarre - Movie English Subbed
- https://www.solarmovie.is/watch-henri-4-2010.html
Tpearl
gossip insider

« Reply #143 on: June 18, 2015, 12:15:40 am »

Thanks for sharing
HennyPenny
gossip insider

« Reply #144 on: January 24, 2016, 03:42:37 am »

Here is a virtual tour of  Buckingham Palace - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gen0NgJjry4
YooperModerator
Super Moderator

« Reply #145 on: April 19, 2016, 08:54:02 am »

Re Versailles the miniseries, which chronicles Louis XIV and the machinations involved in building Versailles and other assorted intrigues.

Here is a link for those who are able to access it to watch 1 - 10 which I think is the entire first season.  I don't happen to have access to Canal tv but it may be helpful for those in N. America?  I'm stopping tonight on episode 7, but suggest starting with episode 1.  I'm afraid to change my place in line.

Hope it's helpful.  It's really good!  Not the greatest clarity in streaming but I'll take it, for now.

http://www.watchtvserieslive.org/versailles-season-1-episode-7-2/

\\\"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.\\\"  Thomas Jefferson
Kuei Fei
Princess

Moderator/I'm so royal I piss blue

« Reply #146 on: April 19, 2016, 08:03:27 pm »

^I tried to watch Versailles, but it shows a lot of graphic (and I mean GRAPHIC) sexual encounters that frankly made me want to puke. I'm going to go back to it when I have the stomach, since it does have quite a few interesting events and I am fascinated by the reign of Louis XIV.

To receive regular news, go to "@gossippsychotic" to get updates from various other gossip websites such as "Downtown Chatter" or "Royal Gossip Psychotic" and end up reading all about all sorts of peccadilloes.
YooperModerator
Super Moderator

« Reply #147 on: April 19, 2016, 08:12:07 pm »

^Episode one has more than the rest, sexually-explicit, I mean but I found it to be pretty realistic of the way of the times and not gratuitous.  The plot line kicks in and you forget all about that.  History is quite clear about the King's brother being bi or homosexual and open about it.  It's how it was.  And there's a wonderful scene down the road that is redemptive, KF.  Trust me.

\\\"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.\\\"  Thomas Jefferson
Kuei Fei
Princess

« Reply #148 on: April 25, 2016, 01:54:57 am »

I watched the rest last week and I was enthralled. I admired how Louis set his wife straight on how her actions would affect the safety of France. How it wasn't just adultery by a Queen, but an act of sedition by a traitor. He was seriously regal and seriously frightening at that point.

To receive regular news, go to "@gossippsychotic" to get updates from various other gossip websites such as "Downtown Chatter" or "Royal Gossip Psychotic" and end up reading all about all sorts of peccadilloes.
YooperModerator
Super Moderator

« Reply #149 on: April 25, 2016, 02:01:52 am »

^Oh, I'm so glad you enjoyed it and now I have someone to gush over it with because I was enthralled as well.  What a production.  What costumes.  What a king!  Who acted like a king!  He appears distracted or seems understated and all of that and then bam! he makes a move that stuns you and he never ever wavers that he is the King and you are not and never will be.  I love, love, love it and can't wait for Season 2 whenever that is that we get it in the US.  Argh.

The actor who plays Philippe does a remarkable job as well but the man who plays Louix XIV just nails it.  Really nails the whole mindset of the period and I've been to Versailles enough times to get goosebumps when I see this/that room and ooooh, it's wonderful!

Kuei Fei
Princess

« Reply #150 on: April 25, 2016, 03:13:59 am »

a lot of great leaders are like that.

What I liked is how they introduced characters like Louise Keroulle, who became the mistress of Charles II; Louise de la Valliere who was his mistress and devoutly religious who became a nun. Then there was others and I admire how it showed the love that Louis had for his sister-in-law.

I believe Louis wanted to marry Henriette, but because Charles II at the time was a dethroned royal, Louis' mother insisted that he marry the Infanta.

YooperModerator
Super Moderator

« Reply #151 on: April 25, 2016, 04:07:02 am »

^I do believe you are correct on that and have you gotten to the nunnery part yet?  Don't know how far you're into it so don't want to release spoilers to you or anyone else.  Once this hits mainstream in the US, which will take forever, we'll be so hip and ahead of the curve because it will be a hit.  No doubt in my mind.  Those who have pirated it are gushing.

What I'm told is that Season 2 picks up a year or two later in the King's life and we begin the political machinations over the nobles.  Yess!

Because it's been such a hit, Netflix will/may/gossip? gain the rights (which may be a repeat, for starters of Season 1) but then Season 2 is on Ovation which I can't get on DISH but am signing every petition I can to get it back in time for October 2016's release.

This Twitter account gives me all my updates because I was so bummed when S1 ended. 

https://twitter.com/search?q=VersaillesSeries&src=typd&lang=en

Kuei Fei
Princess

« Reply #152 on: April 25, 2016, 06:53:49 am »

I don't think the show will focus too much on de la Valliere going into a convent, but I look forward to seeing Louise Kerouelle being asked by Louis XIV  to become the mistress of Charles II. Louise was a lady in waiting to Henriette and now with Henriette dead, Louise now has no legitimate position in court.

I am going to have a whale of a good time watching history unfold and frankly I love every minute of Versailles. I admire how they aren't making Louis XIV like he's stereotypically portrayed, they're making him someone who is multi-faceted and someone who takes his time in getting angry. He is blunt.

YooperModerator
Super Moderator

« Reply #153 on: April 25, 2016, 12:21:56 pm »

^Again, I don't want to spoil a minute of the series so will say nothing.  The story is so vast that the makers have wisely chosen to film this in the sense of showing just how centrified (word/not word?) Louis XIV truly was so they hone in closer and closer on how politically-changing his methods were and how difficult they were to attain to make him the center of the universe/true Sun King of France at that time. 

I agree completely that they have done a really grand job of showing how multi-faceted Louis was at the time and how brilliantly young but it took me some time to get into the rhythm of his just walking in wherever he felt like it and when.  It was startling at first but super cool.  Man, I'm just counting the days until the next season.

The gardener, as a self-proclaimed gardener myself, really fascinates me so I'm hunting down a book on that guy.  I've spent full days walking through the gardens at Versailles and even planted a few of the same plants in my own garden in homage.  The lake!  How they managed to do that was nothing short of an engineering miracle and many people lost their lives during the creation of this massive seat of power.

Kuei Fei
Princess

« Reply #154 on: May 07, 2016, 09:44:40 pm »

I like how it concentrates on the court and doesn't blather on about the politics and other issues that often get dragged into great movies. It shows the world as Louis knew it and how his brother stifled under being the younger brother of Louis. I like how it showed the love between Louis and his SIL Henriette, which is historically accurate. Louis wanted to marry Henriette, but was forbidden by his mother since Charles II was a dethroned King and was stigmatized because of it. Then go figure Charles II is restored to the throne and King in fact and power and it was too late for Louis and Henriette.

HennyPenny
gossip insider

« Reply #155 on: September 24, 2016, 12:42:23 am »

The Other Prince William
: Prince William of Gloucester (William Henry Andrew Frederick; 18 December 1941 – 28 August 1972) was a grandson of King George V of the United Kingdom and cousin of Queen Elizabeth II. He shared a close relationship with Charles, Prince of Wales, his seven-years younger first cousin once removed. The Prince of Wales named his first son, Prince William, born in 1982, after him

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SMX5kUDOas
Fly on the wall
Princess

Lady of Threads

« Reply #156 on: November 04, 2016, 09:53:50 pm »

The Crown ‏@TheCrownNetflix 
“You reap what you sow, sister.”
 - Princess Margaret. #TheCrown. November 4th.

The Crown ‏@TheCrownNetflix  14h14 hours ago
Duty calls. #TheCrown. Now streaming on Netflix.

https://twitter.com/TheCrownNetflix/status/794440577399959552

who's watching?

NEVER *despise* correction,for those who correct you ,truly LOVE you .They are willing to displease you and possibly lose your friendship ,rather than see you destroyed. Those who *despise* you ,on the other hand ,will allow you to FAIL...because what do they care ?

Every praise is not good and every criticism is not evil..!
Kuei Fei
Princess

« Reply #157 on: November 04, 2016, 09:55:05 pm »

I downloaded and the episode is great. I believe they've done the right thing this time around.

YooperModerator
Super Moderator

« Reply #158 on: November 12, 2016, 04:55:50 am »

^Agreed.  Just watched the first three episodes and it's filmed beautifully and very engaging.  I'm not sure how studiously accurate it all is but I'm really enjoying it.  They picked good actors to play all the parts, that's for sure, and the CGI is done really well with crowds and BP and all of that.  All the clothes seem historically correct and costuming is amazing.  The story writes itself, really, and it's fascinating.  So, that's all good.

One problem I have with it, though, is they do make HM look far more nervous and childish than I think she actually was at that time.  I've read and heard from so many here that she was a pretty serious young woman and quite self-assured from a young age so all this hesitancy and "what happens now?" stuff doesn't ring true for me.  She was and is no fool and they just hint at her being all lost at sea over what to do and so on.  I don't buy that.

I hope it triggers an interest in people to learn more about her history as well as how the monarchy works.  I continue to be amazed at how little those outside of our world here at RGF even understand the whole issue of titles, the Windsors themselves, Queen Mary and so on. I know I didn't know much when I first came here.  They hand hold you a bit too much about what a "Queen" is which was sort of silly, tho. Even I knew that much. Somebody working at BP knows the difference between Queen Mary, the Queen Mother and "The" Queen, for instance.

But, all in all, very very good tv.  Somebody spent a fortune on this, that's really for sure.  You'll see players from The Tudors in it as well.  And Eileen Atkins?  Superb.

All in all, worth your time, I think.

meememe
Duchess

« Reply #159 on: November 12, 2016, 05:03:38 am »

I too thoroughly enjoyed it.

I didn't mind the scene with Queen Mary going through the Queen titles with her nurse as I think the nurse was a temporary employee and not a permanent one. She herself said that she had been given a 'sheet' with all the titles etc.

I found the ages of the kids playing Charles and Anne off as they had the same two kids playing them from aged 3 years and 2 months up to 8 for Charles and 15 months to 6 years old for Anne. That grated with me.

I loved how they, at times, included real footage as well and even once of twice photoshopped Claire and Matt into Elizabeth and Philip's positions. Some was factually accurate and others weren't e.g. the black dress - she had one with her in Kenya and wore it onto the plane when leaving there rather than needing it to be delivered to the plane when back in the UK.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 [8] 9 10   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: