Royal Gossip
April 22, 2019, 05:38:22 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 ... 22   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Random Chat  (Read 77926 times)
True Brit
Duchess

« Reply #40 on: September 18, 2012, 03:10:33 pm »

Cannons to the right of us, cannons to the left of us. Onwards, onwards rode the six hundred into the valley of death they thundered.

With apologies to the Charge of the Light Brigade but it seems a few chickens are coming home to roost. This time in the shape of the Information Comissioner (again) who has ruled Charles' lobbying letters must be made public.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2012/sep/18/prince-charles-letters-ministers-judges?CMP=twt_gu

(I'll add to C&C thread)

" Kate, Pippa and Carole Middleton seen at Manolo Blahnik today.. overheard asking if they carried shoes for cloven hooves. "
Leila
Countess

« Reply #41 on: September 18, 2012, 03:17:28 pm »

What happens to 'normal' lobbying letters? Are they usually made public?
True Brit
Duchess

« Reply #42 on: September 18, 2012, 03:25:24 pm »

They should be able to under FOI anyone should be able to write to, say the Dept of Transport, and ask to see all correspondence and documents in relation to a new road or other project.

" Kate, Pippa and Carole Middleton seen at Manolo Blahnik today.. overheard asking if they carried shoes for cloven hooves. "
Leila
Countess

« Reply #43 on: September 18, 2012, 03:25:54 pm »

thankyou
True Brit
Duchess

« Reply #44 on: September 18, 2012, 03:29:55 pm »

I mean look at this extract from the Guardian story...

The departments had argued that the correspondence between the prince and ministers had to be kept secret under a constitutional convention. Disclosure would undermine the convention which allowed the heir to the throne to be educated in the business of government to prepare him to become king, they claimed.

But the judges decided that permitting the prince's lobbying to be concealed under this convention was a "massive extension" of the convention, which was not justified. They decided that "it was fundamental" that the lobbying by the heir "cannot have constitutional status" and cannot be protected from disclosure.

And why do the Departments themselves want this keeping quiet? Because, one suspects, they've been caving in to PC's requests.

And this

The evidence, they said, "shows Prince Charles using his access to government ministers, and no doubt considering himself entitled to use that access, in order to set up and drive forward charities and promote views, but not as part of his preparation for kingship".

It is this lack of transparency that will do for the monarchy in the end. Covering up their costs; claiming estates are private when it suits; sneaking costs such as private planes onto various departments budgets.

Spice
Countess

William and Lupo: the real royal love match

« Reply #45 on: September 18, 2012, 09:42:48 pm »

^Absolutely.  Elsewhere in government, transparency has become an essential part of doing business.  Government departments know it is counterproductive to try and hide things, it only makes them worse.  Honestly, the officials under the control of HM and PC are living in the dark ages, no doubt because they know they have to toe the line if they want to keep their jobs.

When C&C visit NZ in November, there will be critique of the cost of the trip (which will be largely paid for by the NZ taxpayer).  There have been huge budget cuts since 2008 and people are hurting.  I wouldn't be surprised if there are protests, placards and booing.

Citizen not subject - I support the Republic UK and Republic NZ campaigns for system reform.
dianab
Duchess

« Reply #46 on: September 25, 2012, 08:22:04 pm »

I thought Margaret didn't have too much money and at least her family had to sell a lot of things to pay for succession taxes. Was Snowdon rich?

I don't really know.  I'm assuming the Linleys are filthy rich because they could afford to buy and restore this property in France, she runs a posh store in London selling products from the lavender farm, and they presumably own their house in Chelsea.  His furniture business is probably quite successful.  They did sell a lot of Margaret's things, no doubt to pay tax but also they may have taken some of the money from that for buying properties etc.  Serena's family are old money.  Snowdon was not rich when he came into the RF in 1960, but he has probably made a fortune since. 

The QM provided for her grandchildren in her Will, I am sure she left a large sum for Margaret too, which would have gone straight to her kids of course because she died 6 weeks before the QM.
I read Snowdon had a very good divorce settlement from the royals. I read the same about Mark Philips. I read Diana asked advice to them about the divorce they said to her focus on money...
I dont know about Snowdon but I imagined he was rich before the marriage... I dont know very much about him & Margaret, but Queen-Mother always strikes me as a snob, why she allowed the wedding?

For what I read the The Queen & The Queen-Mother always sided with him....
berlin
Countess

« Reply #47 on: September 25, 2012, 10:15:05 pm »

I'd love to know too.  I think I read on here or elsewhere that QM was jealous of Margaret's youth and beauty and that she was jealous that Peter Townsend was attracted to Margaret instead of her.
Alexandrine
Super Moderator

« Reply #48 on: September 25, 2012, 10:20:08 pm »

Shocked ick Shocked

“Three things are to be looked to in a building: that it stand on the right spot, that it be securely founded, that it be successfully executed.” ~ Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Spice
Countess

« Reply #49 on: September 26, 2012, 04:31:08 am »

^^I think that by 1959, when PM was nearly 30, the QM was glad to see her married off at all.  Apparently PM got engaged to Snowdon as a kneejerk reaction to Townsend marrying someone else.  No doubt she was in love with Snowdon too - it was something of a whirlwind thing.  He was a bit like Sophie in terms of money/standing - a respectable upper middle class family but not aristocracy.  In addition to his divorce settlement, he made a lot of money as a photographer/designer over the years.

Citizen not subject - I support the Republic UK and Republic NZ campaigns for system reform.
Mooster
Duchess

"William, stop worrying...the paps wouldn't dare!"

« Reply #50 on: October 06, 2012, 12:52:30 am »

The Jimmy Savile rumours are gaining momentum...it looks as though there are going to be a lot of nasty stuff and maybe names coming out of the woodwork eventually.  I wonder if the police will be investigating Prince Charles close friendship with Savile, and what it consisted of?

Diana, Zac, Jemima, Ben and Sir James Goldsmith    

serene grace
Princess

Appointed Moderator

« Reply #51 on: October 06, 2012, 02:15:18 am »

^^I think that by 1959, when PM was nearly 30, the QM was glad to see her married off at all.  Apparently PM got engaged to Snowdon as a kneejerk reaction to Townsend marrying someone else.  No doubt she was in love with Snowdon too - it was something of a whirlwind thing.  He was a bit like Sophie in terms of money/standing - a respectable upper middle class family but not aristocracy.  In addition to his divorce settlement, he made a lot of money as a photographer/designer over the years.

Movie The Queen's Sister (clip The First Date)
w Snowdon
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFaRT3CJSbk&feature=related

[/URL]
Spice
Countess

« Reply #52 on: October 06, 2012, 02:26:45 am »

^Thanks for posting, I enjoyed that!  I'm sure they were "in lust"... sadly it turned into an abusive relationship

serene grace
Princess

Appointed Moderator

« Reply #53 on: October 06, 2012, 02:50:15 pm »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCrbeJcSSds&feature=related
The Queen's Sister....Princess Margaret wooing Snowden in Nightclub with a song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QuXFHOv2eoM&feature=related
The Queen's Sister ...another clip
(married now fighting)
« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 02:59:32 pm by serene grace » Logged

[/URL]
Alexandrine
Super Moderator

« Reply #54 on: November 09, 2012, 06:14:17 pm »

if anyone wants a good laugh try this http://www.princeofwales.gov.uk/faqs

“Three things are to be looked to in a building: that it stand on the right spot, that it be securely founded, that it be successfully executed.” ~ Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Snokitty
Princess

« Reply #55 on: November 10, 2012, 04:06:29 am »

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/357251/Camilla-s-a-knockout-say-troops-

AN Army line-up for the Duchess of Cornwall turned into a passing out parade in Sydney yesterday.

A military policeman collapsed during an inspection by Camilla, who had just been made Colonel-in-Chief of the Royal Australian Corps of Military Police.

The Duchess, who flies to New Zealand with Prince Charles today on the final leg of a two-week Diamond Jubilee tour, paid tribute to the unit’s professionalism.

“It seems to me you are never off duty – like my husband,” she said.

Why do they always force these guys to stand at attention in the heat just so a royal can eventually walk down the line and then leave? It makes no sense to me.
Kuei Fei
Princess

« Reply #56 on: November 10, 2012, 08:27:28 am »

Why do they always force these guys to stand at attention in the heat just so a royal can eventually walk down the line and then leave?

You tell me; it's happened quite often really and it's obviously torturing the men who have to do it.

To receive regular news, go to "@gossippsychotic" to get updates from various other gossip websites such as "Downtown Chatter" or "Royal Gossip Psychotic" and end up reading all about all sorts of peccadilloes.
benign
Duchess

« Reply #57 on: November 27, 2012, 09:27:14 pm »

PC press secretary Haverson is leaving next year..

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2012/nov/27/prince-charles-pr-consultancy-google
Alexandrine
Super Moderator

« Reply #58 on: December 14, 2012, 11:07:09 pm »

christmas card

YooperModerator
Super Moderator

« Reply #59 on: December 15, 2012, 03:13:46 am »

er hon I think there's a link missing  tehe

\\\"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.\\\"  Thomas Jefferson
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 ... 22   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: