Royal Gossip
April 22, 2019, 11:34:30 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 ... 18   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Countess of Wessex (Sophie) Style Thread  (Read 61394 times)
Alexandrine
Super Moderator

« Reply #240 on: August 17, 2015, 07:24:24 pm »

Which brings us to this year’s list which is, of course, as hilarious as ever. How hilarious? Well, according to Vanity Fair, one of the best-dressed women in the world is … the Countess of Wessex. Who? Oh, that woman married to one of the chinless royals, a person I imagine most people in this country don’t think about ever but, according to Vanity Fair, is literally one of the most chic women in the world. Some poor work-experience kid at Condé Nast even had to cobble up the “Most Notable Ensemble of 2015” worn by Sophie Wessex, which really puts all the coffee fetching and photocopying I did in my days of work experience into perspective. Honestly, I don’t think even I can remember a single outfit this woman wore in her entire life. The best the Vanity Fair work experience could come up with was “a striped silk-satin Emilia Wickstead dress and a custom Jane Taylor hat, worn at Royal Ascot” a description which, what it lacks in justifying the countess’s presence on the list, it makes up for in evoking the Windsor women’s pitiable lives.

http://www.theguardian.com/fashion/2015/aug/10/best-dressed-list-vanity-fair-countess-of-wessex-celebrities-royals-hadley-freeman

“Three things are to be looked to in a building: that it stand on the right spot, that it be securely founded, that it be successfully executed.” ~ Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Miss Hathaway
Duchess

« Reply #241 on: August 18, 2015, 02:28:49 am »

goodpost

Hilarious!  And so accurate.   Despite all of Sophie's kissing up, plotting, planning, copying -- she is a non-entity outside of the queen's sphere.  Sometimes I think she thinks she is running to be appointed the next queen.    I wonder if she pulled strings to get on this fashion list?   
kolkomilko
Duchess

« Reply #242 on: August 18, 2015, 07:29:09 am »

In my opinion these years' list we mustn't take seriously. I remember the list about breasts and Waity was the first there.

gingerboy24
Princess

« Reply #243 on: August 18, 2015, 01:41:39 pm »

IMO Sophie is on a much higher level than wasty will ever be.  Wasty has never worn anything I have see where she looks elegant, let alone classy.  To me she is like a person you can dress in a million dollar frock and she still shows ma´s council estate roots.  Always tacky and common whatever she wears is my view.  The wedding dress was a forerunner of what she favours in fashion, that was so tarty I could not believe my eyes, and the cone boobs just finished it off for me.  Nope, IMO wasty can´t hold a candle to Sophie,  let lagging behind every time.  Sophioe gets it wrong sometimes, but at least she is still elegant with it, wasty just gets it wrong every time  -  no doubt viper ma is her fashion advisor  laugh laugh
HennyPenny
gossip insider

« Reply #244 on: August 19, 2015, 06:18:44 am »

I thought this was the Countess of Wessex style thread
Miss Hathaway
Duchess

« Reply #245 on: August 19, 2015, 10:41:41 am »

In my opinion these years' list we mustn't take seriously. I remember the list about breasts and Waity was the first there.

You are so right.  Any list that puts Sophie Rhys Jones as a style queen can never be taken seriously!    laugh
Countess of Holland
Duchess

« Reply #246 on: August 19, 2015, 01:49:15 pm »

In the land of the blind... And with Waity in the list, the land is deaf, blind and dumb.
Miss Hathaway
Duchess

« Reply #247 on: August 19, 2015, 01:56:26 pm »

Well, it is less surprising that Kate appears on "lists" as she is high profile.  But for Sophie Wessex to appear on a list like this is hilarious and proves it is not to be taken seriously.  No one knows who she is, and she is often identified as the wife of Prince Andrew.    tehe
simplyme
Baroness

Never give up

« Reply #248 on: September 11, 2015, 03:35:59 am »

I like her, she is doing her duties and most of the time I like what she wears, but I need to be agree after see some pics, old and news, her style is changing, and she seems to copy the most popular royal female of the time, or maybe she is following the fashion moment.

“Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.” A. Saunders
Miss Hathaway
Duchess

« Reply #249 on: November 04, 2015, 03:08:20 am »

The DM has lately been making a point of publishing the cost of Sophie's designer clothes.  I think the knives are being sharpened for her in some quarters.  The Queen's protection won't last much longer.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-3302545/Countess-Wessex-showcases-slim-figure-2-375-fitted-designer-dress-racy-peek-boo-waistband.html

The comments by readers are never very flattering.   Sophie trying to be a glamour girl is like Madonna trying to be a sexy, edgy rock star.   bored3 
Countess of Holland
Duchess

« Reply #250 on: November 04, 2015, 08:38:38 am »

Really? The DM mentioning the prizes of the clothes is a sign that the knives are out? In that case the knives are out for every woman in the news; Sophie, Kate, Beatrice, Victoria Beckham, Helen Mirren etc.

It is their s.o.p. to name the prizes of dresses, regardless if these dresses are Main Street, High Street or designer-dresses.
leogirl
Duchess

« Reply #251 on: November 04, 2015, 09:52:40 am »

^^ It's for the fashion-obsessed. The people who buy up a dress as soon as they see their favorite celebrity/royal wear it. The DM tells them who made it and how much it costs and next thing it's sold out.
buflesse
Duchess

« Reply #252 on: November 04, 2015, 09:59:32 am »

I agree with Miss Hathaway. The DM knows that their readers can't afford dresses like that, and usually mentioning the price - especially in the headline - is a way to get people's backs up about how the monarchy is spending money while everyone else is struggling.
Miss Hathaway
Duchess

« Reply #253 on: November 04, 2015, 02:53:26 pm »

^^ ^Yes, in my opinion, the knives are out for Sophie, Kate and Beatrice because they are all considered royal spongers by the Average Joe.    Victoria and Helen made their own money by working, so I don't think the Average Joe would begrudge them so much, as they do these royals.  There is more of a "twist of the knife" in the stories about the costs relating to Sophie, etc.    These kinds of stories never used to be written about Sophie,   They seem to suddenly be appearing as a push back against Sophie's PR about how great she is, and the fact that the monarchy is transitioning.

^I think the big guns a laying in wait for a time to go after the costs of the Wessexes living in Bagshot Manor.  They're just warming up with the cost of Sophie's designer clothes.   
HennyPenny
gossip insider

« Reply #254 on: November 05, 2015, 12:11:22 am »

^^^ That may be true, but I cant get over paying so much for a dress and it not fitting right .. Its too long for someone her height .. I will give her credit, it is a VAST improvement from where she began...
leogirl
Duchess

« Reply #255 on: November 05, 2015, 01:26:37 am »

I do think they spend too much. People are struggling. IMO they could find similar stuff for much cheaper. And it's taxpayer funded, not bought by their own private income/savings? That's not good. Tax dollars should go to struggling families to help them get back on their feet (job loss, low income, maybe supplementary income while they take some classes toward a certificate or degree), not be used on expensive items. Or maybe they could hire a stylist or someone to make the clothes for them... at least then the clothes would fit properly.  dontknow
Rosella
Duchess

« Reply #256 on: November 05, 2015, 01:32:50 am »

The Wessexes do not get direct funding from the taxpayer, though, except for expenses when on Royal engagements.
leogirl
Duchess

« Reply #257 on: November 05, 2015, 03:44:52 am »

Well, then it's fine. If it's their money they can do as they please.  dontknow
Miss Hathaway
Duchess

« Reply #258 on: November 05, 2015, 04:52:45 am »

They're not supposed to be receiving taxpayer money, but it's all a little murky.  Bagshot was renovated with taxpayer money. 

http://www.theguardian.com/uk/2000/feb/13/antonybarnett.theobserver2

I think the stories coming out about the cost of Sophie's designer duds are the beginning of questions about their finances.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-102856/Queen-pays-Edward--Sophie-1-4million-quit-jobs.html
Rosella
Duchess

« Reply #259 on: November 05, 2015, 05:09:06 am »

I think that last linked article is from a time when the Civil List was in operation. As for Bagshot, it's quite usual for the Ministry of Defence to pay for delapidations when they've been leasing Crown Property and not dealing with essential repairs. In this case it was to bring it up to scratch for the new tenants, (the Wessexes.)
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 ... 18   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: