Royal Gossip
July 20, 2017, 07:33:21 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Poll
Question: Yay or nay on Scottish independency
Yes we should become our own country with all the right's and duty's that come with it. (new currency, different state of head, etc)
Yes, but I'd like to keep the £ as money and HM as head of state.
No, stay in the UK but give more responsibilities/right to the Scottish ppl
No, everything should stay as it is
I don't know enough about this to cast a decent vote
I don't care

Pages: 1 ... 30 31 32 [33] 34   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Scottish Independence  (Read 41817 times)
deGuernsey
Baroness

« Reply #640 on: March 15, 2017, 05:56:25 pm »

I thought so afterwards, but my session had timed out for modifying it.

But to me, she'll always be thi wee wifie fae Girvan.
Who is the fae girvan? dontknow  Just love the word behookies.  Hi

I forgot to ask my question! ! laugh Is the Scottish vote for the country to be independent of UK? And if so, do they want their own sovereign?  Sorry if the answer has already been posted. Very busy no real time to read through this thread until tomorrow. ... thanks!  sorry
« Last Edit: March 15, 2017, 06:01:25 pm by deGuernsey » Logged
Little light
Baroness

« Reply #641 on: March 15, 2017, 06:40:04 pm »

Wee wifie is the diminutive, often a powerful woman in a positive or negative way. And can either be a co
Pound the if a negative.

Fae Girvan means "from Girvan". Where she is from.

And we did have a vote to be an independent country or not. And it was defeated.

As for a separate Sovereign, we don't need one as the present royal family, wrongly thought of as being English, were originally the Scottish Royal family.

Around the Tudor times, the English royal family had a habit of chopping nearly everyone's heads off, including Mary Queen of Scots. It was Queen Elizabeth the first of England who had her own cousin, Mary Queen of Scots, head off.

And her son, King James the sixth of Scotland, who is also known as King James the first of England, was brought up in the English Court and the Union of the Crowns meant that he was crowned the King of England as well as also already being crowned many years previously as King of Scotland.

Now we have the BRITISH Royal Family, not the English Royal family as I'm forever pointing out to fellow posters. And the reason they live in England was to replace the Tudor also who got rid off their enemies, real or perceived, by decapitating them.

And I'm truly sorry I upset you Quo. It's just her hypocrisy that gets to me. Her mum has bought her council house but she won't allow me to buy mine, even though I've lived here 19 and a half years!

But she is First Minister. You're right. And I should have disagreed with what she's doing in a respectful manner.

So some   flower to say I'm very sorry to have upset you.
 sorry

Thank you.  thankyou

Hope I'm forgiven.
YooperModerator
Super Moderator

« Reply #642 on: March 15, 2017, 06:44:08 pm »

^You are forgiven and I appreciate the self-evaluation.  Thank you.

However, would everybody please take a chill pill or a walk around the block or count to 10 or do whatever it is you do to turn down the volume a bit on some of these posts?  And that goes for across this forum, not just here.  Again, everybody's opinion is their own and they are allowed to post it.  Nobody is allowed to get personal or disparage another's pov.  How many times do we have to say that? Thanks, YM

\\\"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.\\\"  Thomas Jefferson
meememe
Duchess

« Reply #643 on: March 15, 2017, 09:31:09 pm »

May I point out that James I and VI was not raised at the English court. He was already King of Scotland and was raised very much in Edinburgh and elsewhere in Scotland.

He went to England after Elizabeth I's death not before.

He was financially supported by Elizabeth so that he wasn't tempted to join either the French or Spanish in a war against England but he definitely was raised and lived in Scotland until he became King of England.

The Act of Union didn't take place for another 100 years so (1707) the Kings of England were also separately Kings of Scotland. The last monarch to be both was Queen Anne - in whose reign the Act of Union was past. She was thus the first monarch of the UK and the last monarch of a separate Scotland and England.
quo
gossip insider

« Reply #644 on: March 16, 2017, 10:23:22 am »

sorry to you Little light and yes of course I do see where you are coming from and in this mad, crazy, changing world we are being asked to make big decisions to the best of our ability and tbh I am dreading the lead up to all of this so I think I maybe come off this thread and go back to reading a couple of favourite threads I've enjoyed over the years and I hope we can leave this as friends  BFF2  thankyou
Little light
Baroness

« Reply #645 on: March 16, 2017, 12:58:37 pm »

Oh absolutely Quo. I was out of order and take what YM said to heart.

And it's just been on the BBC news that the PM has there will be no new referendum on Scottish Independence while Brexit negotiations are in place.

And I want to say I won't behave like that again and hope we can be friends.  flower

Littlelight
Alexandrine
Super Moderator

« Reply #646 on: March 16, 2017, 02:31:29 pm »

Only discuss this topic in relation to the royals. Do not make it a pure political discussiom go the news board for that.

Thank you

“Three things are to be looked to in a building: that it stand on the right spot, that it be securely founded, that it be successfully executed.” ~ Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Kuei Fei
Princess

Moderator/I'm so royal I piss blue

« Reply #647 on: March 16, 2017, 11:43:10 pm »

I find it interesting, that despite the fact that HM is Queen of Scotland, Charles has never been proclaimed to be Prince of Scotland; he's Lord Steward, but not Prince of Scotland, which is the traditional title of the Heir to the Scottish throne. It is telling that Charles isn't given that title; either he is not able to do so without there being a major PR disaster, or there is something else going on.

To receive regular news, go to "@gossippsychotic" to get updates from various other gossip websites such as "Downtown Chatter" or "Royal Gossip Psychotic" and end up reading all about all sorts of peccadilloes.
Little light
Baroness

« Reply #648 on: March 17, 2017, 12:48:07 am »

Would this title have been given to PC when he was born or is it a title that would be given when he was much older, in the same way he was made PoW as a young man?

Is that normally what happens or would have happened in times gone by please?

Thanks.

Kuei Fei
Princess

Moderator/I'm so royal I piss blue

« Reply #649 on: March 17, 2017, 01:17:20 am »

I have no idea.

I do think though that it is telling that there are a lot of people who want to break away. I think a referendum should be held after HM's death, not during this time.

To receive regular news, go to "@gossippsychotic" to get updates from various other gossip websites such as "Downtown Chatter" or "Royal Gossip Psychotic" and end up reading all about all sorts of peccadilloes.
meememe
Duchess

« Reply #650 on: March 17, 2017, 01:31:03 am »

Charles is Prince of Scotland.

The full title is Prince and Lord Steward of Scotland and Charles holds that title, along with numerous others. This is usually listed as the last of the titles of the Prince of Wales but it is still in use.

He uses Duke of Rothesay in Scotland as that title has become the more senior title in the centuries since James I and VI became King of England.

It is simply the idea that some titles have changed usage over time and Duke of Rothesay is now seen as the primary title of the eldest son and heir apparent to the throne in Scotland but Charles has been Prince and Lord Steward of Scotland since he became the heir apparent to the throne in 1952 - 6 years before he became Prince of Wales.
deGuernsey
Baroness

« Reply #651 on: March 17, 2017, 02:08:28 am »

^ Does PC have an Irish title?  Do the people of Scotland and Ireland recognise his titles or do they resent him being an English prince? Do you know who the heirs to the throne are?  Thanks. flower
Rosella
Duchess

« Reply #652 on: March 17, 2017, 04:29:10 am »

^ Prince Charles doesn't have a Northern Irish title. He does have a Scottish one, the Duke of Rothesay, which he uses when he is residing in Scotland. I don't know whether the people of Scotland resent his title or not, but newspapers in Scotland refer to him as the Duke of Rothesay and the referendum for an independent Scotland isn't a referendum on the monarchy anyway. If the Scots have a referendum and vote for independence Queen Elizabeth will still be Queen of Scotland.

All the other Royal dukes have an English title followed by a Scottish title followed by a Northern Irish one. For instance William is Duke of Cambridge (England) Earl of Strathern (Scotland) and Baron Carrickfergus (Northern Ireland.) Andrew is Duke of York (England) Earl of Inverness (Scotland) and Baron Killyleagh (Northern Ireland)

The line of succession to the British Throne consists of hundreds of people, some of them foreign royalty, like Prince Ernst August of Hanover, Caroline of Monaco's husband.

The first seventeen in order of succession are

1 Prince Charles
2 Prince William
3 Prince George
4 Princess Charlotte
5 Prince Harry
6 Prince Andrew
7 Princess Beatrice of York
8 Princess Eugenie of York
9 Prince Edward Earl of Wessex
10 James, Viscount Severn (his son)
11 Lady Louise Windsor (his daughter)
12 Princess Anne
13 Peter Phillips
14 Savannah Phillips (his daughter)
15 Isla Phillips (his daughter)
16 Mrs Zara Tindall
17 Mia Tindall (her daughter)
deGuernsey
Baroness

« Reply #653 on: March 17, 2017, 06:03:32 am »

^ So PC is also the crown prince of Scotland! And here I was thinking a person couldn't be the heir to two thrones since 1918! thankyou for the info.
Rosella
Duchess

« Reply #654 on: March 17, 2017, 06:22:37 am »

^ No, Prince Charles is heir to one throne, the Kingdom of Great Britain or the United Kingdom. It's been that way since the two kingdoms merged in what was known as the Act of Union, which melded England and Scotland together (with Wales) as the United Kingdom. This occurred in 1707.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acts_of_Union_1707

It's just that Charles, who is the heir to the throne of the United Kingdom, uses the highest Scottish title given to him as Prince of Wales when he is in Scotland. It's simply a tradition.
deGuernsey
Baroness

« Reply #655 on: March 17, 2017, 06:30:03 am »

Charles is Prince of Scotland.

The full title is Prince and Lord Steward of Scotland and Charles holds that title, along with numerous others. This is usually listed as the last of the titles of the Prince of Wales but it is still in use.

He uses Duke of Rothesay in Scotland as that title has become the more senior title in the centuries since James I and VI became King of England.

It is simply the idea that some titles have changed usage over time and Duke of Rothesay is now seen as the primary title of the eldest son and heir apparent to the throne in Scotland but Charles has been Prince and Lord Steward of Scotland since he became the heir apparent to the throne in 1952 - 6 years before he became Prince of Wales.
so now this last paragraph confuses me. He is heir to english/scottish/British throne or it is all one throne?  Are all of PCs children considered Prince/Princess of Scotland and his grandchildren, too? Then QEII and her chilldren and grandchildren are Prince/Princess of Scotland, too! I'm confused.  Shocked Thanks for helping me out.

Okay, I just reread what you wrote. PC is heir to one throne of GB. So it is Okay to call him crown prince of  scotland, England too? Or is it just GB which comprises all the countries on the island? I think that is what you are saying. But he is a Scottish prince. And and an English one but he is crown prince of UK and the title the Prince of Wales means crown prince of UK, right?
« Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 06:35:08 am by deGuernsey » Logged
meememe
Duchess

« Reply #656 on: March 17, 2017, 07:03:37 am »

There is no such thing anymore as a throne of Scotland or England.

Since 1707 there has only been the throne of the United Kingdom.

Charles, as the heir apparent to the throne of the UK holds the titles that used to be held by the heirs apparent to the separate thrones of England and Scotland but now only as the heir to the throne of the UK.

None of the Prince/ess of the UK are separately Prince/Princesses of Scotland or England as those two nations don't exist anymore as separate entities.

IF, and it is a big IF, Scotland were to regain its independence and keep the British monarchy then Charles would become both a Prince of the UK and separately a Prince of Scotland (but still not a Prince of England - just as the Queen isn't the Queen of England but of the UK as a whole).

Hope that helps.
deGuernsey
Baroness

« Reply #657 on: March 17, 2017, 07:16:29 am »

Yes it does.  Thanks to both you and Rosella.  Hi flower In America we call HMQ the queen of england and some people even go so far as to call her betty believe it or not but she's the british queen and not the english one.
meememe
Duchess

« Reply #658 on: March 17, 2017, 07:24:57 am »

Generally British royal dukes do have a title in Scotland and Ireland but not always in that order.

e.g. the Gloucester title is Duke of Gloucester, Earl of Ulster and Baron Culloden (Ireland before Scotland)

The Earl of Wessex currently has neither a Scottish or Irish title as Wessex is largely a made-up title but would relate more to England and Severn is a river between England and Wales. In time he will probably add the Edinburgh title (assuming Charles or William to re-grant the title to Edward when it merges with the Crown and is thus available for re-grant - many people erroneously assume that Edward will inherit that title from Philip but Charles' is Philip's heir just as he is the Queen's and so it is Charles that will inherit his father's titles).
Little light
Baroness

« Reply #659 on: March 17, 2017, 12:45:25 pm »

Thank you everyone.

I'm so glad I made that MASSIVE boo boo re King James I/VI as I've learnt a huge amount since. I feel ashamed of my ignorance.

So thanks again for all the info everyone.  thankyou

Slightly off this particular topic of titles, we know that the BRF are not meant to have any political points of view in public, but obviously they do in private.

And we heard HM 'purred' to PM David Cameron when hearing the result of the independence referendum. But what powers do they have to influence situations like a referendum? I mean would HM advise the Prime Minister re allowing another Referendum or does she not have that power but let it Ben known what she thought, or I said she not even allowed to do that?

And do we know if they have powers or just influence. Or would this be a different topic needed. And I don't mean the PoW "spider" letters to Ministers in the Government.

Thanks everyone.

Pages: 1 ... 30 31 32 [33] 34   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: