Royal Gossip
September 22, 2017, 05:37:29 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Poll
Question: Yay or nay on Scottish independency
Yes we should become our own country with all the right's and duty's that come with it. (new currency, different state of head, etc)
Yes, but I'd like to keep the £ as money and HM as head of state.
No, stay in the UK but give more responsibilities/right to the Scottish ppl
No, everything should stay as it is
I don't know enough about this to cast a decent vote
I don't care

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 34   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Scottish Independence  (Read 42607 times)
Kuei Fei
Princess

Moderator/I'm so royal I piss blue

« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2011, 03:39:34 am »

At this point, ti would be best for the RF to downsize since they dont' seem to have the motivation to really do much of anything anyway.

To receive regular news, go to "@gossippsychotic" to get updates from various other gossip websites such as "Downtown Chatter" or "Royal Gossip Psychotic" and end up reading all about all sorts of peccadilloes.
Ella
Countess

« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2011, 04:53:36 am »

Even the BRF feels more into England or Wales but not much into Scotland.

I read there was even a bit of controversy over HM's coronation in Scotland. The English was was grand and regal, but she showed up to the Scotland one in a plain dress and a purse like it was any old engagement.

Personally, I don't think the RF cares much about anything beyond England and Wales, and the younger ones don't seem to care about anything that isn't in London or Africa. They only make tours to like, Canada or Australia when it looks like they're getting tired of having a RF that never visits. It seems almost like "Oh, you're not in England or Wales? Here's some scraps of attention for your country."

If I were Scotland, I'd leave too. Why be bound to a parliament that doesn't feel equal and a crown that doesn't seem to care you exist as more than a vacation spot?
« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 04:58:01 am by Ella » Logged
Lady Artemis
gossip insider

« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2011, 04:56:18 am »

I say go for it Scotland!!!  SNP  Spooky-bat Hoping your independence is near...yet so far away!! I don't know but is it true that Scottish are more tolerant to immigration and refugee issues than England..because English people snub Scotland of being to tolerant on these issues!! Oh I also heard that tuition free for Scotland students Wohooo!!!  goodluck
Yooper
Princess

« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2011, 06:21:20 am »

What's HM's beef over this anyway?   Does she lose money?  Does she lose her precious retreat?  Why not let the people of Scotland run their own country without interference?  I don't see the problem here if it happens.  Anybody with any real class would support that and put their own needs aside, IF they really cared and saw the big picture.

\"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.\"  Thomas Jefferson
Kuei Fei
Princess

« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2011, 10:36:54 am »

Apparently she would keep everything, Scotland would just be it's own country.

To receive regular news, go to "@gossippsychotic" to get updates from various other gossip websites such as "Downtown Chatter" or "Royal Gossip Psychotic" and end up reading all about all sorts of peccadilloes.
Lauracrazygirl
courtier

« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2011, 02:57:20 pm »

AWWWW hug  Kiss  loveshower You guys are so sweet supporting Scotland.  BFF2

I say go for it Scotland!!!  SNP  Spooky-bat Hoping your independence is near...yet so far away!! I don't know but is it true that Scottish are more tolerant to immigration and refugee issues than England..because English people snub Scotland of being to tolerant on these issues!! Oh I also heard that tuition free for Scotland students Wohooo!!!  goodluck

I am actually going to college this year to study childcare for 2 years. Guess how much I have to pay for the course..... Nothing!  loveshower because in scotland we believe that if someone wants higher education they should be given it even if they are not rich. The better educated a person is, the more they earn and the more they earn, the more taxes they pay. So in the long run, paying for my college course is a good investment for the scottish government.

If I were an english girl I would have to pay £4000 for the course. Not to mention living expenses, food etc.  In fact it's amazing how much debt english students have.

Although if I were to go to university in scotland I would have to pay for it my self with a student loan. Just in case you guys got the impression that all higher education in scotland is free. College is mostly free, Universty is not free.
Alexandrine
Super Moderator

« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2011, 03:18:54 pm »

What's the difference between uni and college?

“Three things are to be looked to in a building: that it stand on the right spot, that it be securely founded, that it be successfully executed.” ~ Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Lauracrazygirl
courtier

« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2011, 04:21:42 pm »

What's the difference between uni and college?

Do you mean in terms of the financial support you get? If I remember correctly, Colleges are mostly free  because they mostly provide “Higher” or “national”  qualifications  which only take a year or 2 to earn, there for they don‘t cost the government all the much to provide.

Where as Universities provide degrees and post graduate degrees which last longer, need more resources and teachers with much higher qualifications than college teachers. All of which is very expensive, so naturally the Scottish government can’t give all education away for free.

It’s all very complicated because it’s all very individual. You can get some financial help if you are going to university, if you or your parents earn under 30,000 per year. I think the government pays for half your degree.

Needless to say, Scottish students have it a hell of a lot better than English students.   there
Alexandrine
Super Moderator

« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2011, 04:25:45 pm »

thankyou Until now I thought that college and uni were the same thing or it is somewhat different in Scotland?

“Three things are to be looked to in a building: that it stand on the right spot, that it be securely founded, that it be successfully executed.” ~ Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Yooper
Princess

« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2011, 04:58:07 pm »

^^I thought they were the same, too, LCG.  Thanks for the info.  Uni sounds like our version of Junior College, which is a two-year commitment and you get what is called an Associates degree (vs University which is 4+ years).  Thanks!

\"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.\"  Thomas Jefferson
Kuei Fei
Princess

« Reply #30 on: June 01, 2011, 06:35:48 pm »

LCG, HM should be happy that Scotland is being so peaceful; with the Irish usually blowing things up, the Scots are letting HM go as nicely as possible. If HM and Cameron interfere, I am sure the Scots will get a lot nastier if England tries to prevent a breakaway; it's not like Scotland will suddenly ally with the Chinese the minute they break away, or threaten the RF with death.

rogue
Duchess

« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2012, 10:38:18 pm »

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/9261092/Queen-may-not-remain-monarch-of-an-independent-Scotland.html

The Queen may not remain head of state in an independent Scotland after one of the SNP’s most senior MSPs confirmed it is party policy to hold a referendum on the monarchy.

She said an indifferent public are now “spoon-fed the William and Kate show, the latter ironically committed like her deceased predecessor to remaining stick thin for photogenic reasons.”
[/b][/i]
Alexandrine
Super Moderator

« Reply #32 on: May 12, 2012, 10:41:08 pm »

I think they mean business.

Now I wonder how an independence will work with the EU, although considering how things are going maybe the EU will no exist by the time.

rogue
Duchess

« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2012, 10:48:16 pm »

So the William and Kate show isn't a hit in Scotland.Its interesting that the support for the monarchy has slipped when the great commoner savior of all has entered this family. easter-lol
YooperModerator
Super Moderator

« Reply #34 on: May 12, 2012, 11:24:21 pm »

true hehe
"the Will and Grace err Kate show" laugh

\\\"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.\\\"  Thomas Jefferson
True Brit
Duchess

« Reply #35 on: May 12, 2012, 11:33:59 pm »

I think they mean business.

Now I wonder how an independence will work with the EU, although considering how things are going maybe the EU will no exist by the time.

The official line from the Scots Nats is they intend running Scotland along the lines of Norway rather than part of the EU (which is looking increasingly doomed). They hope to use the oil revenues although critics claim there's not as much left as the SNP claim.

They would keep the £ and ally to London but they intend to reclaim the Crown Estates in Scotland. Alex Salmond has always said the Queen would remain so this statement is interesting and it is good to know folks aren't swallowing the BS.

" Kate, Pippa and Carole Middleton seen at Manolo Blahnik today.. overheard asking if they carried shoes for cloven hooves. "
Kuei Fei
Princess

« Reply #36 on: May 13, 2012, 04:48:00 pm »

To think, this is happening during her jubilee year no less.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/9261092/Queen-may-not-remain-monarch-of-an-independent-Scotland.html

The Queen may not remain head of state in an independent Scotland after one of the SNP’s most senior MSPs confirmed it is party policy to hold a referendum on the monarchy.

She said an indifferent public are now “spoon-fed the William and Kate show, the latter ironically committed like her deceased predecessor to remaining stick thin for photogenic reasons.”
[/b][/i]

Writing for a left-wing journal, Miss Grahame said her republican views are shared by some of her SNP colleagues but are not official party policy.

“The last time I looked at that, after independence there would be a referendum at some point on whether we in Scotland have the full blown monarchy, an edited version or go for a republic. I have no problems with that, being a wholehearted democrat,” she wrote.

“After the Diana nonsense, when complete strangers lemming-like threw themselves into publicity-driven grief, through Charles and Camilla’s redemption, we are now spoon-fed the William and Kate Show.”

From what I can tell, they are sick of being represented by a soap opera and treated like a piece of empire, not part of much of anything. It's no like Kate has any Scottish lineage and as usual the RF is staying in England and using English titles and not really at all making Scotland a part of anything.

Magnolia
Duchess

« Reply #37 on: May 15, 2012, 01:43:43 am »

Like the Scots.It's true is the Wimpo and Lazy show and they bring nothing really.These people are paid to represent nations in a good light it's not turning that way at all.When W and L go out it's all about what her tackiness wears even Wimpo is looking like nothing lately.

THIS IS YOU:NET- FXCKER A PERSON WHO SPENDS DAYS ON THE INTERNET AT A TIME USUALLY LATE AT NIGHT OR VERY EARLY IN THE MORNING HE OR SHE IS A RECLUSE AND A NET-FXCKER! THIS IS YOU:NET-JUNKIES TEND TO NOT HAVE LIVES ALTHOUGH ON RARE OCCASIONS ONE OF THEM UNWITTINGLY DOWNLOADS IT FROM THE INTERNET
Kuei Fei
Princess

« Reply #38 on: May 15, 2012, 02:32:13 am »

They would keep the £ and ally to London but they intend to reclaim the Crown Estates in Scotland.

Extremely intelligent steps to take really. They keep the currency and (obvious) good connection to the English government, but the income from the Crown Estates will be absorbed entirely into an independent Scottish treasury and provide a solid source of funds to keep them afloat while they transition.

running Scotland along the lines of Norway rather than part of the EU

Evne smarter; I knew it was a mistake for Britain to get entangled into all of that and I do not believe that Scotland's ministers are as blind to the realities of the situation as the English politicians are. I wonder if the citizenry have been hounding the Scots politicians about that and this is what is causing the split.

Alex Salmond has always said the Queen would remain

Which ensures that there is continuity while they make their split. After HM, possibly nothing really. With Ireland a Republic, it'll just be Queen/King of England and the Commonwealth, not Great Britain. This is such a fascinating time to be alive and I wonder how HM is handling seeing a connection lasting hundreds of years being broken off, piece by piece. Perhaps this is why she has been looking so upset so opnely lately.

observer
gossip insider

« Reply #39 on: May 20, 2012, 09:28:25 am »

I would gratulate Scotland for becoming a republic, and I think the Scotish government has backbone enough not to nationalise the properties of the Windsors (the Queen can proceed  making her holidays in  Balmoral as long as she wishes)!
But the main part of the Scotish people still think, remaining within the UK is still the better economic option. And sadly so do I think too!
« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 09:31:17 am by observer » Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 34   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: