Royal Gossip
September 24, 2017, 05:58:42 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Poll
Question: Yay or nay on Scottish independency
Yes we should become our own country with all the right's and duty's that come with it. (new currency, different state of head, etc)
Yes, but I'd like to keep the £ as money and HM as head of state.
No, stay in the UK but give more responsibilities/right to the Scottish ppl
No, everything should stay as it is
I don't know enough about this to cast a decent vote
I don't care

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 34   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Scottish Independence  (Read 42620 times)
Nighthawk
Princess

« on: May 30, 2011, 01:20:50 pm »

Queen Elizabeth expresses fears about UK break-up:
http://www.ekmulakatnews.com/news.php?newsid=2375
Queen Elizabeth II fears a referendum on independence in Scotland could lead to a break-up of the United Kingdom. The monarch is so worried that she has held a crisis meeting with Prime Minister David Cameron following Scottish National Party moves to hold a referendum on the issue.

ameron is now preparing a plan to stop the destruction of the UK, The Daily star reports. A Buckingham Palace source said both Cameron and the Queen were taking the SNP’s threat seriously enough to plot against it. The Queen raised her concerns with Cameron after the SNP’s surprise victory in the Scottish Parliament Elections earlier this month. “She would, of course, accept the will of the people in Scotland on this issue, but the Union is obviously important to her,” the Palace source said. The Queen owns a huge amount of land in Scotland, including her favourite estary in the Scottish Parliament Elections earlier this month. “She would, of course, accept the will of the people in Scotland on this issue, but the Union is obviously important to her,” the Palace source said. The Queen owns a huge amount of land in Scotland, including her favourite estate at Balmoral. SNP leader Alex Salmond has already said Scotland would keep the Queen as its head of state if independence followed a referendum.

Queen’s role wouldn’t exist in an independent Scotland
http://www.heraldscotland.com/comment/andrew-mckie/queen-s-role-wouldn-t-exist-in-an-independent-scotland-1.1104125
If Scotland chooses independence, it would be a mark of national maturity to pay little attention to the quotidien aspects of the monarch’s political functions, but instead to focus on cultivating these mystical aspects of monarchy. One possible model might be the Yaohnanen of Vanuatu, who worship Prince Philip.
Dahlia
Baroness

« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2011, 01:46:11 pm »

Is the independence movement a strong one in Scotland?
Kuei Fei
Princess

Moderator/I'm so royal I piss blue

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2011, 02:36:44 pm »

HM should be worrying more about her family; it's the job of the Prime Minister to worry about the breakup of the UK. She isn't the politician she thinks she is and she needs to step away from it. If the Scots want to go, it would be gross interference on the part of the English to try ot prevent it. The Scottish National Party already said it would keep HM as Queen of Scotland out of respect, so no chance of prestige being lost there. As for the independence movement, I'm sure that a lot of the UK is tired of just being an adjunct to the nation and not bothered with except for the occasional engagement.

To receive regular news, go to "@gossippsychotic" to get updates from various other gossip websites such as "Downtown Chatter" or "Royal Gossip Psychotic" and end up reading all about all sorts of peccadilloes.
Yooper
Princess

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2011, 05:02:23 pm »

The word 'plot' bothers me, although it's a media-contrived one, it's probably true.  Anyway, why don't they just go for a Republic instead and be done with it?  It's gonna happen eventually, at least I think so, in this century.   This article makes Cameron sound like her puppet.  Is he?

\"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.\"  Thomas Jefferson
Dahlia
Baroness

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2011, 05:35:06 pm »

He is Yooper! Cameron admires the Royal Family.
Yooper
Princess

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2011, 05:44:07 pm »

Thank you, Dahlia!  Well, I'm no political analyst, but there are a lot of baby steps being taken toward distancing from the monarchy, from where I sit.  It will be interesting to see what happens. 

\"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.\"  Thomas Jefferson
YooperModerator
Super Moderator

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2011, 09:12:41 pm »

Wow and I thought the first one to break away would be down under!
But Scotland is a lot closer to home!
Phu I don't know what to say really..
I'm neither Scottish nor English but the idea the Scotland c/would become a independent country is...strange!
And what about the EU? Would they acknowledge it? Like they did with Kosovo?
Is Scotland strong enough financially/economically to do it?

Odd a few months ago some Irish wanted the Queen back as their head of state, and now the Scot's wanna break away from the UK.
 huh dontknow

Why do I feel as if I'm in the middle-ages where borders of kingdoms and countries shifted faster then ships during a storm!

\\\"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.\\\"  Thomas Jefferson
Lauracrazygirl
courtier

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2011, 09:38:09 pm »

Is the independence movement a strong one in Scotland?

I think I am the only Scot on this forum, so let me fill you in on the whole nationalist movement.

In answer to your question Dahlia, yes, it’s big, I mean really big in Scotland. After all, the main goal of the SNP is to make Scotland independent. And they won this year’s election by good majority (this is their second term in the Scottish parliament) .
Every one I know, friends, family even co workers. Support the idea of an independent Scotland. In fact many regard it as an inevitability. This is not a sudden thing, in the last 10 years their have been many issues/disagreements between the Scottish and English parliaments that have lead to many Scots thinking we would be better off on our own.

As for me. I’m really torn on the issue. My mother’s family is English and I have always regarded my self as Half English/Half Scottish. But I think the political system as it is now is not fair towards the Scots and needs to change in order to stop Scotland breaking away.
Yooper
Princess

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2011, 09:47:20 pm »

Thanks for info SCG! What happens next?   

Lauracrazygirl
courtier

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2011, 10:27:41 pm »

Thanks for info SCG! What happens next?   

Well, Alex Salmond has made up the first draft Bill on independenace. The Scottish Parliament well debate over the first draft make changes to it etc. Then a referendum will happen and the public will vote for/against independenace. If everything goes to plan the referendum should take place sometime in 2013 maybe eariler. But there are lots of people that will try and stop the referendum from even happening. Needless to say the next few years are going to be a pretty tense here in Scotland.  nervous  nervous
Alexandrine
Super Moderator

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2011, 10:34:27 pm »

Don't worry Laura I'm sure that the Cambs will go there to solve all the problems  tehe   hide

I didn't know that the independent  movement was so mature, I will follow this with interest as I'm sure that it will bring repercussion to my own country or others in Europe where there are independent movements. It will be also interesting what the UE says.  easter-think

Anyways I've always thought that Scotland and Ireland were pretty independent from England, they even had their own team in the World Cup which seems strange. Even the BRF feels more into England or Wales but not much into Scotland.

“Three things are to be looked to in a building: that it stand on the right spot, that it be securely founded, that it be successfully executed.” ~ Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Kuei Fei
Princess

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2011, 12:17:12 am »

Even the BRF feels more into England or Wales but not much into Scotland.

Which is understandable since to me, the BRF is more interested in promoting everything English and not Scottish or Irish. In all honesty, it is as if Scotland is just a place to vacation and Ireland is just another satellite and the other countries are just accessories. It's not like Elizabeth II is Queen Victoria, who upon becoming Empress of India, took the time to learn Hindustani and hire an Indian to be part of her staff. The BRF doesn't bother anymore with anything or anyone but English, not with any country other than England really.

To receive regular news, go to "@gossippsychotic" to get updates from various other gossip websites such as "Downtown Chatter" or "Royal Gossip Psychotic" and end up reading all about all sorts of peccadilloes.
Yooper
Princess

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2011, 02:32:33 am »

Who will try to stop the referendum?  Thank you for info!

Kuei Fei
Princess

« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2011, 02:36:23 am »

"A Buckingham Palace source said both Cameron and the Queen were taking the SNP’s threat seriously enough to plot against it."

There you have it Yooper, HM and Cameron are working against the Scots breaking away.

Dahlia
Baroness

« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2011, 01:58:01 pm »

Thanks Lauracrazygirl for the reply  Hi

^Are we in 1800? If the Scots don´t want to be part than they have to accept it!
« Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 01:59:48 pm by Dahlia » Logged
Yooper
Princess

« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2011, 02:27:23 pm »

Thanks KF ^^ and Dahlia!  My thoughts exactly; if this is what Scotland wants, it's time to accept their personal right of majority rule.  And to what ends does this 'plotting' go?  Trade embargoes, lobbying, pressure tactics?  And if so, what forms?  I don't understand why this would not be just accepted because the more you push against, the greater the chance of return engagement.  The monarchy should start the process of getting over themselves a bit, jmho.  The Scottish people must have a reason for wanting this and should be respected in a free world.

Nighthawk
Princess

« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2011, 03:04:18 pm »

LCG thanks for the info  flower whatever happens I wish only the best for Scotland and it's people.  In all honestly in the few years that I have been a royal watcher I haven't seen England do much of anything for scotland other than go over for entertainment reasons or vacation  dontknow
Earth Angel
Countess

Can you imagine a time when the truth ran free ...

« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2011, 07:32:05 pm »

I'm glad this is occurring. The UK has never really been united in meaning or purpose and I think this is a step in the right direction for the Scots. Scotland does not belong to England and I hope they do gain their independence. ...

"The searching-out and thorough investigation of truth ought to be the primary study of man." ~ Cicero
"The way to gain a good reputation, is to endeavor to be what you desire to appear" ~ Socrates
"During times of universal deceit telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act". ~ George Orwell
"On the road from the City of Skepticism, I had to pass through the Valley of Ambiguity". ~ Adam Smith

*All posts are my opinion, based on what I know to be true at the time of the post, unless otherwise specified. All intents and purposes are free; no ill will or maliciousness involved*
Kuei Fei
Princess

« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2011, 02:54:47 am »

So it's too difficult for HM to reign, to the point where she neglects her family, but she is more than capable of scheming and plotting to keep a country attached to England?

Earth Angel
Countess

Can you imagine a time when the truth ran free ...

« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2011, 03:10:54 am »

^^^ No amount of scheming will work, imo. Scotland's devolution started years ago and there's no turning back now!

"The searching-out and thorough investigation of truth ought to be the primary study of man." ~ Cicero
"The way to gain a good reputation, is to endeavor to be what you desire to appear" ~ Socrates
"During times of universal deceit telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act". ~ George Orwell
"On the road from the City of Skepticism, I had to pass through the Valley of Ambiguity". ~ Adam Smith

*All posts are my opinion, based on what I know to be true at the time of the post, unless otherwise specified. All intents and purposes are free; no ill will or maliciousness involved*
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 34   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: