Royal Gossip
January 23, 2019, 06:45:20 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 ... 20   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Countess of Wessex: The Perfect Royal Wife?  (Read 74349 times)
Snokitty
Princess

« Reply #80 on: September 24, 2012, 03:05:34 pm »

Yes and at least Sophie does get involved with her charities and at the same time seems to be a hands on Mum like so many other women.

I just don't see that being the case with Kate.  
serene grace
Princess

Appointed Moderator

« Reply #81 on: September 24, 2012, 04:07:57 pm »

Kate never really got her hands dirty before marriage, never was a hardworker, I think she'll find it difficult being completely involved in royal duties. Sophie gets her schedules, does her homework on these events, puts time in.

Someone wrote that Pr.Edward by the time he was 18 or 19 had done twice to three times as many Royal duties as Pr.William when he married at 28. I am not sure where the person got the info?

[/URL]
mrharrywales
Countess

Harryite #24

« Reply #82 on: September 24, 2012, 05:39:07 pm »

I loved her voice... She sounds really sweet...

My only problem with this interview is that she said "ammm' all the time. I think she should work on that.

Don't worry, be Harry
Keep calm and Harry on
What happens in Vegas, not always stays in Vegas
Acornia
Countess

« Reply #83 on: October 10, 2012, 06:39:24 am »

She doesn't have a posh accent that I expected her to have. Kate's accent was polished up (she slipped several times during the engagement interview) perhaps Sophie didn't undergo the same lessons that Waity did  tehe

I think she did alright but like mrharrywales said, the 'uhmmm's are distracting.

serene grace
Princess

Appointed Moderator

« Reply #84 on: October 10, 2012, 08:38:14 am »

Kate just sounds Fake, imo, not even posh, but rather indecipherable, it sounds like she has learned a new language and just learned to speak it.

I like Sophie's voice, much more gentry of the Countryside sounding and authentic, like the ladies from Pride and Predjudice and more importantly her ability to speak clear thoughts intelligently.

Kate sounds completely fake, she doesn't even sound posh to me because I have to strain to sometimes understand what she's saying because she is trying too hard to get the posh voice going and has no real concise thoughts to verbalize what she even means.

The thing I read about Diana, is that when she spoke, you could hear that she was from a highborn background by the way certain vowels were delivered, but she was clear and understandable, it flowed. Diana never spoke as if she had a mouth full of marbles. Kate is getting it so wrong, that's why she sounds so fake, it's sounds too put on, she just sounds like someone trying to speak like she believes the posh speak. Kate just sounds phoney.

Dickie Arbiter said Kate when she speaks, he said basically you can hear her middleclass background, she gets the vowels all wrong.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2012, 08:42:30 am by serene grace » Logged

[/URL]
Spice
Countess

William and Lupo: the real royal love match

« Reply #85 on: October 11, 2012, 03:49:09 am »

So refreshing to hear a genuine, caring person from that family speaking, and not putting on a fake accent!

Sophie is lovely.

Citizen not subject - I support the Republic UK and Republic NZ campaigns for system reform.
berlin
Countess

« Reply #86 on: April 07, 2013, 01:18:51 am »

How the Queen helped Sophie put her wobbles behind her with stunning results, as the confident Countess turned heads on Easter Sunday in an electric blue outfit

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2304827/How-Queen-helped-Sophie-wobbles-her.html#ixzz2PjSKzBhV
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Adorable first picture
Stephanie
Princess

« Reply #87 on: April 07, 2013, 12:32:48 pm »

Sophie has found her place in life, she seems to enjoy family life and her duties.
Edward isn't photogenic and seems shy in public but maybe he is nicer then he seems if they managed to stay together for all those years. thumbsup
MelissaRose
Baroness

« Reply #88 on: April 07, 2013, 05:08:51 pm »

The first picture is lovely, it speaks volumes about Sophie's character that the Queen trusts her so much, and clearly loves her. She is a very elegant, well-dressed lady too. A true Princess. Kiss

Sophie definitely has the best position of all royal wives. All the benefits, but not so much of a goldfish-bowl life and pretty much able to live a normal life - more so than the rest of the RF anyway. Would much rather have her life than Kate's!
Snokitty
Princess

« Reply #89 on: March 22, 2014, 08:24:53 am »

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2586553/The-real-terrifying-story-Sophie-baby-cheated-death-haunts-her.html

Sophie Wessex is usually serenity itself. Quiet and friendly, yes, but always in control. An elegant, regal figure no more prone to emotional outbursts than the Queen herself.

So when the Countess was pictured, red eyes brimful of tears and hugging a midwife in a Surrey hospital earlier this week, it was both touching and shocking. Her breakdown, though, was entirely understandable. For she was returning to Frimley Park Hospital, where ten years ago she nearly  died while giving birth to her first child, Louise.  As the Countess of Wessex opened the hospital’s new neo-natal unit, she said: ‘The service you can provide can literally make the difference between life and death. I can attest to that.’ Now, for the first time, the Mail can reveal the full story of how

Sophie’s life hung in the balance that day — and how it has profoundly affected her as a mother.
‘It was utterly traumatic, and in some ways Sophie has never got over it,’ says a friend. ‘It completely reshaped her character and affected how she relates to her children.’
kolkomilko
Duchess

« Reply #90 on: March 22, 2014, 03:08:15 pm »

It is really sad. Marcus Setchell didn't get any more attention, rewards and party like he had after Waity's labour.  nervous

Miss Hathaway
Duchess

« Reply #91 on: October 15, 2014, 06:47:44 pm »

^^^^ Actually, no, more like this one as its a close up.

http://theincredibletide.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/dark.jpg

Of course Sophie has wrinkles and lines, but she doesn't look scary.  Kate looks scary and if I didn't know her I'd put her between 42-45 and no less.  I've seen better skin on faces and necks of 55 year olds.

I work with portraits in Photoshop and kate is bad bad for her age.  Sophie, nope, she's not doing great either but I like the woman's softer appearance even if she had double the wrinkles - her eyes are kind whereas Kate's are hard, calculating, and yes, at times miserable from the bed she now has to lie in - the bed she made for herself.

My grandmother always said by 30 we start wearing our inside on our face - I think she's right.  flower

I agree with your grandmother!    Hi

I have to say that I am bemused by the number of royal watchers on different boards who want to compare Kate and Sophie.   That is comparing apples and oranges.    Kate is married to a man in line to be the next king.    Sophie is way, way down the line, with no prospect of ever being queen.    Sophie is old enough to be Kate's mother, so I don't understand the royal watchers who want to compare those two with regard to dress and appearances.  They are two different generations and I would hope that Sophie would NOT be dressing like a daughter [Sarah Ferguson has been ridiculed for doing the same].   

However, since posters are wanting to compare the two, here are my thoughts:   Kate is in way, way, over her head.  She married a man who was bored with her.  Their university relationship had run its course and she should have moved on.   She did not and now is a very unhappy young woman.   This, of course, shows up in her demeanor and appearance.

Sophie, too, was in way, way over her head, but she was lucky in that the Queen and Philip protected her and Edward with their failing business ventures and Sophie's selling her royal position.  The Queen has bankrolled them, and Sophie was very lucky in that Charles and Andrew were both divorced and so Sophie was the Second Lady after the Queen.  So she enjoyed an artificial status for several years.   

Sophie, like Kate, married a man who was not thrilled about getting married -- Ed and Soph dated many years and there were stories over the years that Sophie gave Ed ultimatums -- but Ed and Sophie work because it's more like a business arrangement.  They both are getting what they need/want and have no other expectations.   So Sophie is luckier in that regard more so than Kate who is expected by the public to be in love with her prince, and William is expected to be Prince Charming to his Princess,  and every little gesture is remarked upon.   The Wessexes don't receive that kind of attention and so their platonic relationship gets by.

But Sophie is quite calculating.   We can see from stories that have appeared in the news since 2011 about how Sophie is a royal favorite and such an asset to the monarchy, etc. etc.    We can see how she has changed her dress since 2011, wearing clothes that a 50-year old shouldn't wear and running up and down hockey fields looking ridiculous, showing her cleavage, etc.    She is obviously trying to compete with a woman young enough to be her daughter, and if she doesn't pull back from that, she will quickly become a figure of ridicule.

Because . . . while Kate has had her day of reckoning, coming to terms with the reality of the expectations of her royal position, Sophie has not yet had her day of reckoning.    But it is moving closer.  Turning 50 will be a big blow to her.   Philip and the Queen are quite elderly and their protective embrace is weakening and the Wessexes are going to be on their own.   Charles will not underwrite them and he and Edward are not on the best terms.    So, while Sophie has made the most of her situation and the void within the Royal Family -- and this shows just how calculating she is to have accomplished what she has -- it is all coming to an end, and then we will see Sophie's true character [of which we have seen glimpses in her talk with the undercover journalist and her yelling at her bodyguard in public].   
HennyPenny
gossip insider

« Reply #92 on: October 15, 2014, 09:40:04 pm »

^^
ITA  flower

Please do not quote the message above yours, use ^^ or the name of the poster to make it clear who you are referring to.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 09:54:58 pm by Alexandrine » Logged
AnaBolena
Duchess

We Read To Know We Are Not Alone - C.S Lewis

« Reply #93 on: October 17, 2014, 10:23:19 pm »

I tend to agree with you MissH but I see no sense in pulling Sophie apart.  It isn't going to make Kate look better in any way at all, not even if Sophie looked and acted like a dragon.

eating cookies

“Without music, life would be a mistake.”
india
Princess

« Reply #94 on: October 17, 2014, 10:39:12 pm »

You cannot compare the Countess of Wessex to the Duchess of Crotchbridge. That dog don't hunt.
Miss Hathaway
Duchess

« Reply #95 on: October 17, 2014, 11:44:34 pm »

I tend to agree with you MissH but I see no sense in pulling Sophie apart.  It isn't going to make Kate look better in any way at all, not even if Sophie looked and acted like a dragon.
 eating cookies

True, just as criticisms about Kate do not make Sophie younger, prettier, more interesting, more genuine, and the next Princess of Wales.    thumbsup   

Alexandrine
Super Moderator

« Reply #96 on: October 18, 2014, 12:58:41 am »

I also do not see the need of making Kate image worse by tring to make the rest of the BRF women as saints.

Kate is a mesd but so is Sophie. And no one can forget the Yorks.

“Three things are to be looked to in a building: that it stand on the right spot, that it be securely founded, that it be successfully executed.” ~ Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Mandosiel
Duchess

« Reply #97 on: October 18, 2014, 01:12:52 am »

Anne is the only one who acts the same she always has and doesn't care about fashion, just doing her job and damn hardworking at it too, but she's not a saint either.

I don't really think Sophie is the perfect Royal wife, she does the best she can with her situation and that's pretty much anyone could expect given her standing in the pecking order. I do think she's been a bit off lately, feeling the weight of looking her years I guess and not happy about it, happens to a lot of woman, especially ones who are under scrutiny like celebs and such.
Alexandrine
Super Moderator

« Reply #98 on: October 18, 2014, 01:25:58 am »

^ was not able to think a better title if anyone offers something catchy I can change it.

“Three things are to be looked to in a building: that it stand on the right spot, that it be securely founded, that it be successfully executed.” ~ Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Rosella
Duchess

« Reply #99 on: October 18, 2014, 02:02:17 am »

I don't think Sophie Wessex is perfect, she has had her share of mistakes and is fairly low down in the pecking order of the Royal Family. However, she always looks interested at her public engagements, (for which she doesn't get a great deal of publicity), is hardworking and has made an effort to maintain her marriage, be a good mother and get on well with her mother-in-law. As a minor royal you can't ask for more from Sophie really.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 ... 20   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: