Royal Gossip
July 21, 2018, 09:01:51 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 13   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Royal Staff  (Read 37315 times)
Alexandrine
Super Moderator

« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2011, 05:43:04 pm »

The changing of the gardener: Buckingham Palace seeks green-minded, as well as green-fingered, candidate for garden job

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2052260/The-changing-gardener-Buckingham-Palace-seeks-green-minded-green-fingered-candidate-garden-job.html#ixzz1bckY0p6d

“Three things are to be looked to in a building: that it stand on the right spot, that it be securely founded, that it be successfully executed.” ~ Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Alexandrine
Super Moderator

« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2012, 04:48:59 pm »

Wanted, a servant to run the Royal bath: Buckingham Palace seeks candidate for £14,200-a-year housekeeping role

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2099959/Servant-wanted-run-Royal-bath-Buckingham-Palace-seeks-housekeeping-assistant-important-role.html#ixzz1mBeutb1g

“Three things are to be looked to in a building: that it stand on the right spot, that it be securely founded, that it be successfully executed.” ~ Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Yooper
Princess

« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2012, 04:51:45 pm »

^Is that enough to live on?  It's ballpark poverty level in the US.

\"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.\"  Thomas Jefferson
Kuei Fei
Princess

« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2012, 06:24:10 pm »

It's nothing to live on really to be frank.

Considering the job might not include living quarters, quite frankly that is impossible to live on.

To receive regular news, go to "@gossippsychotic" to get updates from various other gossip websites such as "Downtown Chatter" or "Royal Gossip Psychotic" and end up reading all about all sorts of peccadilloes.
Tatiana
Countess

I come from a long line of Monarchists.

« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2012, 06:58:39 pm »

Many who take the above job are older married women, who have husbands who work.

Older women tend to stay longer, take less time off, and take pride in housework.. according a lady I knew who worked for HM.

Kuei Fei
Princess

« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2012, 02:06:14 am »

Even so, it's still highway robbery; pay is pay and while it might be an 'honor,' quite frankly it is a shabby offering.

To receive regular news, go to "@gossippsychotic" to get updates from various other gossip websites such as "Downtown Chatter" or "Royal Gossip Psychotic" and end up reading all about all sorts of peccadilloes.
Yooper
Princess

« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2012, 02:17:07 am »

^Amen.  Thanks for the 'honor', but no thanks.

\"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.\"  Thomas Jefferson
Nymph
Countess

« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2012, 05:02:27 pm »

Going out on a limb, but maybe some of the more arcane and less needy jobs need to just go away or be consolidated, that way more important jobs could offer more competitive pay.
Tatiana
Countess

« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2012, 07:47:50 am »

Some do it just for the honour, others do it because they feel it makes them more interesting.

Even more do it because it will look good on their CV, and who wouldn't employ a person who worked for HM ?

Not my cup of tea though.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 07:49:55 am by Tatiana » Logged

meememe
Duchess

« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2012, 09:41:59 am »

If the job includes room and board then the pay is quite reasonable - considering that the normal household expenses wouldn't be there so the person could save quite a bit of money.  If it doesn't include room and board then it is very poor.
Kuei Fei
Princess

« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2012, 06:04:40 am »

Some do it just for the honour, others do it because they feel it makes them more interesting.

Even more do it because it will look good on their CV, and who wouldn't employ a person who worked for HM ?

Not my cup of tea though.

In the US, (I'll have to research this) we have standards that include health coverage, pay above the poverty level, and while it might look good on the CV, quite frankly people need to be able to pay their way and on this it's impossible, even with free housing. It might look good on the CV, surely, but at the point in which they are training, they are also in need ot getting by and this isn't enough. Kids at McDonalds get more out of their work and also at the same time, the RF needs to stop being so irrationally stingy with their regular staff as well. They have millions ocming in and more than enough dresses and jewels, so it's not like the Windsors really want for anything.

Tatiana
Countess

« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2012, 12:57:36 am »

I am not defending it, I am merely stating what I have heard.

RF has always been "tight" with their money.

If you think this is bad .. go read about Queen Mary..

Kuei Fei
Princess

« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2012, 06:36:02 pm »

Wanted: A butler for the Queen. Must be discreet and able to carry a breakfast tray. Salary: £15,000

If you are friendly, discreet and looking for a job, the Queen would like to hear from you.

She is advertising for a trainee  butler to deliver breakfast trays to members of the Royal Family.

The successful applicant will work at Buckingham Palace as well as Balmoral, Windsor and Sandringham, earning £15,000 a year for a 45-hour week.

The trainee will be required to ‘collect and deliver tea/coffee trays, breakfast trays and newspapers for Royal and Household purposes in an efficient  and discreet manner’ and be responsible for helping to set, serve and clear royal meals.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2118499/Wanted-A-butler-Queen-Must-discreet-able-carry-breakfast-tray-Salary--15-000.html#ixzz1ps8CFIVJ

Maybe James Middleton can apply and work in the palace, therefore getting his foot in the royal door.

Albany
Baroness

« Reply #33 on: March 22, 2012, 07:01:50 pm »

Isn't it FAA rules to have two pilots at all time?  I know that's the US rule for heads of state and most everybody who isn't a private pilot themselves, but I'd think there would have to be two on board for safety.  Just curious.  The $ seems in the normal realm, to me.

I'm not sure about a special rule for Heads of State (although that would make sense), but the number of pilots on commercial flights is determined by the size of the aircraft and flight time.

If, for instance, HM is only flying in a small private plane, such as a Cessna for short distances (under an hour), then it's only one pilot. (At least it is on short commercial flights of that type).

Anything larger or longer, then you need additional pilots in order to cover crew rest periods as required by the FAA. The same type of rules apply to Flight Attendants, with the added consideration of passenger load numbers.

The money (roughly $127,000 US) is on the higher end of average. Commercial pilots don't make anywhere near that anymore, unless they're flying in Asia. However, I know a few pilots who fly private corporate aircraft (which is more comparable to flying HM), and they make an average of $107,000 US, with a starting salary of about $80,000 US.

"Off with their heads!" -The Queen of Hearts
Alexandrine
Super Moderator

« Reply #34 on: August 05, 2012, 06:31:02 pm »

The Queen begins search for a 'holistic’ nurse

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/theroyalfamily/9450236/The-Queen-begins-search-for-a-holistic-nurse.html

huh

Kuei Fei
Princess

« Reply #35 on: August 06, 2012, 12:52:10 am »

I see the RF wants the best without paying them for what they are worth.

For an entertainment organizer, they wanted someone who had worked in five start hotels running this sort of thing, but the pay was insanely below market worth. IF someone is going to end up working forty hours and has five start experience, I am certain that there should be no problems with paying at LEAST a hundred thousand a year. In hotels or professional catering a person can make as much or more a year.

meememe
Duchess

« Reply #36 on: August 06, 2012, 02:20:30 am »

This past weekend I visited a friend who had actually worked for the Queen in the 50s as a housemaid at BP and her husband was an under-butler.  The topic of their pay during that time came up - and her comment was - pay was poor but...after they married and left the royal employ having the BP on their CV and a personal reference signed by The Queen opened doors to higher paid employment both in Britain and after they emigrated to Australia.  They had friends who worked in similar jobs for other aristocrats who could never command the sort of money that they could, particularly her late husband, simply because they had BP on their CV.
Alexandrine
Super Moderator

« Reply #37 on: September 26, 2012, 07:59:39 pm »

The Queen loses her hand washer

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/theroyalfamily/9558652/The-Queen-loses-her-hand-washer.html

Snokitty
Princess

« Reply #38 on: October 11, 2012, 02:24:55 pm »

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2216126/Queen-advertises-new-Buckingham-Palace-gardener-wages-300-week.html

The Queen wants a new gardener to maintain her Buckingham Palace lawns to 'the highest standards', encourage wildlife and recycle waste at her home - all for less than £300 a week.

The successful green-fingered candidate for the £14,950-a-year job must also be proficient in 'good organic horticultural practices' when tending the Palace's shrub, herbaceous and rose borders.

The gardener will also carry out green waste recycling duties.

Any applicant must also be an early riser, as the 40-hour-a-week job starts at 7.30am and be prepared to work overtime depending on the season.

Duties include leaf clearing without the use of machinery to 'encourage the development of the wildlife'.

The advert also reads: 'To carry out green waste recycling duties including transporting the Royal Mews skips to allotment sites.

'Have substantial practical horticultural experience including herbaceous and rose practices'.

They sure don't believe in paying for the work done. I know some are going to say "If you have this on your resume then you can make more money later at another job". Well you would have to make more on your next job because you would be underpaid on this one.

Kuei Fei
Princess

« Reply #39 on: October 11, 2012, 08:40:04 pm »

Looking at what they want out of staff they hire (highest possible standards and the best possible/long hours) they are drastically underpaying the person they want. If you want the best, you have to often pay for the best at the best salary. For an organization expert for banquets and garden parties, they want someone with five star hotel experience, but don't want to compensate someone well for the job they might be leaving and the level of work.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 13   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: