Royal Gossip
November 20, 2017, 10:38:27 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 [11]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Romanovs  (Read 67568 times)
Kuei Fei
Princess

Moderator/I'm so royal I piss blue

« Reply #200 on: June 21, 2017, 05:08:46 am »

I can't get over what I've just read.

The Danes did ALL they could with what little they had, but the Windsors had all that money and power and influence and did NOTHING. Not just nothing, but actively prevented the rescue that may well have changed history for the better, literally overriding official government policy.

To receive regular news, go to "@gossippsychotic" to get updates from various other gossip websites such as "Downtown Chatter" or "Royal Gossip Psychotic" and end up reading all about all sorts of peccadilloes.
FrederickLouis
Baroness

« Reply #201 on: June 22, 2017, 02:07:20 am »

Here is Dowager Empress Marie Feodorovna with her nephew King  Christian X on her arrival in Denmark in 1919. 
http://www.pinterest.com/pin/63824519693888034

Really A Baron
Kuei Fei
Princess

« Reply #202 on: June 22, 2017, 03:13:56 am »

I'm' just disgusted that the less than wealthy and powerful Danes did all they could and the Windsors did nothing.

To receive regular news, go to "@gossippsychotic" to get updates from various other gossip websites such as "Downtown Chatter" or "Royal Gossip Psychotic" and end up reading all about all sorts of peccadilloes.
FrederickLouis
Baroness

« Reply #203 on: July 05, 2017, 02:05:13 am »

If the real Anastasia had survived, she could not have become the reigning Tsarina (Empress) Regnant because of the succession laws being changed by Tsar Paul I.

Really A Baron
Kuei Fei
Princess

« Reply #204 on: July 05, 2017, 03:15:02 am »

I think the Pauline Laws became obsolete the minute the Imperial Family began to be gunned down by the Bolsheviks. The closest relation to Nicholas II is Prince Rostislav (through the line of the sister of Nicholas II, who was Grand Duchess Xenia) and the closest living relation should be considered Head of House. The Vladimirs claimed Headship even while the Dowager Empress was still alive, who basically was considered the natural leader at the time. I do wonder just why on holy mother earth the Vladimirs just can't give it up and stop the claiming of the headship. Prince Rostislav is the natural head.

FrederickLouis
Baroness

« Reply #205 on: July 09, 2017, 02:11:31 am »

In the summer of 1922 Grand Duke Cyril Vladimirovich declared himself Curator of the Russian Throne.

Really A Baron
FrederickLouis
Baroness

« Reply #206 on: July 12, 2017, 02:10:12 am »

The four Grand Duchesses in color   
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u83GmeO8dI0

Really A Baron
FrederickLouis
Baroness

« Reply #207 on: September 27, 2017, 02:09:15 am »

When Alice in Wonderland was first read to Grand Duchess Olga Nikolaevna, the child was horrified at the manners of queens. sob sob sob sob

Really A Baron
FrederickLouis
Baroness

« Reply #208 on: October 04, 2017, 01:46:17 am »

Was Alexandra, the spouse of Nicholas II, worried that she would not be able to handle the responsibilities as Empress once she became Empress of Russia?

Really A Baron
Rosella
Duchess

« Reply #209 on: October 04, 2017, 03:49:02 am »

^ Perhaps. Alexandra did not shine at grand social events which were so much a part of a Tsarina's life. Her father in law's death was a shock to the family I'm sure, as he was only in his late forties. As we know, the reign began badly, thousands of people crushed at a supposed celebration, the whispers about Alexandra 'coming to the Russian people following a coffin,' etc.

However, she was absolutely sure of Nicholas's love and support always and that helped her ideas about Russia and its society ossify over the years, until she could tell her grandmother Victoria, who asked about her reclusiveness 'Here it is not necessary to make oneself popular'. She was shy and stiff and awkward in social occasions (where her mother in law Marie shone) prudish, and completely one-eyed in her support for autocracy. She and Nicholas were absolute disasters for Russia, IMHO.
Alexandrine
Super Moderator

« Reply #210 on: October 05, 2017, 07:30:20 pm »

I was surprised to discover that Alexandra was not considered a good wife and her father in law didn't even bless the wedding when he was dying.

Nicholas only was able to marry her bacause his father died.

It is ironic that even Victoria asked her about reclusiveness. I can understand being introverted but I don't choose jobs that will make me be overly extroverted.

“Three things are to be looked to in a building: that it stand on the right spot, that it be securely founded, that it be successfully executed.” ~ Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
FrederickLouis
Baroness

« Reply #211 on: October 06, 2017, 01:39:07 am »

Did Alexandra confide in her sister, Grand Duchess Elizabeth? After all, Elizabeth had married Grand Duke Sergei some years before Alexandra wed Nicholas.

Really A Baron
Rosella
Duchess

« Reply #212 on: October 06, 2017, 02:28:14 am »

After her marriage Grand Duchess Ella kept inviting Alix to Russia. Queen Victoria was always very worried about her granddaughters marrying Romanovs and living in Russia, as she considered it a dangerous and unstable country. (This was even after Alix refused to marry Prince Eddy, second in line to the British throne, something that disappointed Victoria. She wrote to her daughter Vicky that Ella was determined by hook or by crook to promote any match that would lead to Alix joining her in Russia.

Nicky was in love with Alix since 1889, when she had spent six weeks in St Petersburg. Alix's father, Grand Duke Louis of Hesse-Darmstadt, objected to her marrying Nicky on religious grounds. Tsar Alexander and his wife Marie felt that other candidates would be more suitable as Nicky's wife. Marie apparently found Alix too quiet and shy and a bit peculiar. However, in early 1894 a sick Tsar Alexander relented and gave permission to Nicky to ask for Alix's hand. They became engaged in Darmstadt the week that Alix's sister Victoria married Prince Louis Battenburg.

Ella was delighted that her sister married Nicky and for several years the couples saw quite a lot of each other. However, as the years passed Alix and Nicky retreated more and more into their home life, especially after Alix's health became bad, and of course Ella devoted herself to charity and founded a religious nursing Order after her husband was assassinated in 1905.

The last meeting between the sisters occurred late in 1916. Like the rest of the Romanovs Ella felt that the country and the dynasty were facing disaster. She travelled from Moscow to the Alexander Palace. The sisters' conversation went badly, however. Alexandra refused to discuss Rasputin. Ella reminded her of the fate of Louis XVI and Marie Antoinette. The Tsarina immediately ordered a car to take her sister to the station. Ella said sadly 'Perhaps it would have been better if I had not come?' 'Yes' Alexandra said. And with that, they parted for the last time.
FrederickLouis
Baroness

« Reply #213 on: November 11, 2017, 11:47:54 pm »

Before taking the throne, Nicholas II expressed, 'I am not yet ready to be Tsar. I know nothing of the business of ruling.'

Really A Baron
FrederickLouis
Baroness

« Reply #214 on: November 15, 2017, 11:20:49 pm »

Tsarevich Alexis Petrovich feigned or induced illness to avoid the instructional tasks his father, Tsar Peter I appointed him. Alexis even tried to shoot himself in the hand to avoid work.       
hide hide hide sneezy sneezy sneezy hide hide hide

Really A Baron
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 [11]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: