Royal Gossip
May 28, 2017, 09:20:38 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Romanovs  (Read 59100 times)
Earl Grey
courtier

Last hope for the Windsors: Anne for Queen!

« on: April 05, 2011, 12:21:15 pm »

Some interesting docu's if you have got an afternoon to spare

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eAdBHwUr5w&feature=related\

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cjcD8KvXFE&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxpRYuAsP_c&feature=related

Sometimes it takes a little child to say what we have all been thinking
danifaul
Countess

Sorry for the spelling errors..

« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2011, 12:42:39 pm »

thankyou Earl Grey

aww  http://www.alexanderpalace.com/palace/1913egg.html
http://theromanovfamilysite.webs.com/

King George V wanted to help his cousin Nicholas and the Romanovs  huh is true ?

The Chocolate Princess
Administrator

A chocolate a day keeps the doctor away!

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2011, 01:51:32 pm »

ROYAL RUSSIA - THE ROMANOVS sigh an entire homepage about them. with pictures and descriptions of all palaces.

I love St. Petersburg. flirt It is amazing what the Russians created, -again- X-Mas_rolleyes even after it all got destroyed in WW2.  Seeing (and even partying) in their palaces I know that no splendor will ever dazzle me as the Romanov palaces. France has Versaille-which is kinda impressive, but Russia has St. Petersburg, Zarskoje Selo and Peterhof. Shocked  I've never seen so much gold and splendor on so many places. Before WW2 the outside and even the roofs of the Katharinenpalast HERE  were covered with real gold. blink Now it's just gold paint.    -the worst part: you get used to it. Embarrassed Coming back to other palaced I felt like entering a three Star hotel Lips Sealed It is also why I don't envy Kate Middleton. Domestic bliss is something that has to do with safety, comfort and heartiness. pinkheart A gold spoon cannot comfort you. sigh

It is a shame that the Romanovs are ALL dead sob

King George V wanted to help his cousin Nicholas and the Romanovs  huh is true ?
No thumbsdown  Though George V and Tsar Nicholas II were cousins. -even his wife Alexandra was his distant cousins.
The Tsar and his immediate family were arrested and negotiations began to find a place of overseas exile. After the revolution in 1917 the British standpoint was that ‘every measure must be taken to ensure the family’s safety’ hall-Spell-check Meanwhile in Britain there were growing concerns about the impacts of receiving the Romanovs on their turf... but because King George was concerned that the left-winged working class wouldn't like it, he changed his mind and denied them refugee. From that moment their destiny was doomed and they all got executed in a cellar where they have been held. Lips Sealed When a memorial service was held for tsar Nicholas in London, George V refused to attend or send a representative bored3
There was no othe country which could have offered assylum to the Romanovs. Though Germany had always had the strongest ties to them...after losing WW1 all aristos got stripped of their rights and titles. There was no safe passage because it was occupied by Russians/French/etc.

but the BRF learned from it... I think they gave refugee to the grandmother of Prince Philip the Duke of Edingburg.  (Son of King Georg I. of Greece + Alice von Battenberg in 1922)
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 04:05:26 pm by The Chocolate Princess » Logged

Alexandrine
Super Moderator

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2011, 02:39:22 pm »

^^

P. Phillipe is the son of Prince Andrew of Greece. His grandmother as you say was a Romanov and before marrying she was called Grand Duchess Olga.  Kiss

I've heard the same version. And to think that Q. Mary then bought jewels from the dowager empress and didn't pay her!  ick

Off topic but the Romanovs do not have a drop of Romanov blood do they?

“Three things are to be looked to in a building: that it stand on the right spot, that it be securely founded, that it be successfully executed.” ~ Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
The Chocolate Princess
Administrator

A chocolate a day keeps the doctor away!

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2011, 04:00:19 pm »

I forgot how old Philip is TCP baking cookies I assumed it must have been his granny

And to think that Q. Mary then bought jewels from the dowager empress and didn't pay her!  ick

Here's a link: but I am sure it doesn't show all pieces Mary purchased
After the Revolution of 1917, the Crown Jewels were confiscated. During 1922 the intensive job of listing and photographing everything took almost four months and was conducted by five of Russia's leading jewellers. Some of the collection was sold to a consortium of British and American buyers, whose identity is unknown. One hundred and nineteen of the jewels sold to this syndicate were offered for sale by Christie's in London on March 1927 at a sale. [source]
 I would say that a lot of the Romanov gems are in the UK and Europe, but not that the majority of them are in the BRF's hands. Some may have been dispersed through further auctions and sales so it's hard to know exactly how many there are. There is talk that after empress Maria Feodorovna's death, Queen Mary bought some of the jewels very secretly by a lawyer. spy -it would now been in QE's private collection.

I've spend new-years eve at the palace of Michel Kent's ancestors and the Lady there shown me where they hid the jewellery (including Lady Diana's Lovers knot tiara) The story is totally fascinating wo how a friend of them sewed the jewellery into his coat and traveled to England looking poor and unsuspicious.

the Romanovs do not have a drop of Romanov blood do they?

Besides Dagma of Denmark all women came from German royal families. But all brides had to change their name and confession.  It is all pretty weird because they had their (real) birth name and their 'official' name.
Princess Sophie von Württemberg -> took the name 'Maria Fjodorowna ' Portrait (look at the jewellery)
Princess Marie von Hessen-Darmstadt  -> Marija Alexandrowna Portrait (description of jewellery)

Karl Peter von Schleswig-Holstein-Gottorf became Russian Emperor Peter III. because his aunt had no heir. Like Queen Victoria married Prince Albert von Sachsen,  the British Royal Family was called "of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha" before they changed their name to Windsor. Not sure but I guess the new name of the Romanovs was "Romanov-Holstein-Gottorf"
Peter III. married Princess Sophie von Anhalt-Zerbst-Dornburg  -they changed her name into 'Jekaterina Alexejewna'  also known as Catherine 'the great'

family tree(in German)
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 04:15:03 pm by The Chocolate Princess » Logged

Alexandrine
Super Moderator

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2011, 04:13:36 pm »

^^
No I meant that after Catherine the Great there were no real Romanovs as her son was not Peter III's son. So I was asking if afterwards any emperor married someone with real romanov blood?

How great it must have been! I would have loved to see that. You were very lucky!  worship

But I think that the Lover's knots was a creation of Q.Mary and the one you mention was bought by Imelda Marcos. I agree the queen must have such a secret stash of jewels. Q. Mary loved to buy them and Q.Elizabeth received all the jewels from Mrs. Greville. Plus many jewels from Q. Alexandra  Shocked

They have two names because they had to change their religion so when they were christened they got a russian one. Moreover in Russia your "surname" is your father name. But as many names couldn't be "russified" they used Feodor because it was the patron of the Romanovs (I've read so take it with a grain of salt  easter-wink)so we have for example Marie Fedorovna that was daughter of Christian  tehe
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 04:24:20 pm by Alexandrine » Logged

“Three things are to be looked to in a building: that it stand on the right spot, that it be securely founded, that it be successfully executed.” ~ Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Kuei Fei
Princess

Moderator/I'm so royal I piss blue

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2011, 04:15:09 pm »

I've heard the same version. And to think that Q. Mary then bought jewels from the dowager empress and didn't pay her!  ick

The BRF snagged many after the death of the Dowager.

Off topic but the Romanovs do not have a drop of Romanov blood do they?
[/quote]

Their lineage is dominantly German and Prussian; mainly since the Romanovs married foreign brides and then diluted their Russian lineage.

It is a shame that the Romanovs are ALL dead

Alive, but the main branch and several others were butchered. They're still distant though and succession has been hotly disputed.

To receive regular news, go to "@gossippsychotic" to get updates from various other gossip websites such as "Downtown Chatter" or "Royal Gossip Psychotic" and end up reading all about all sorts of peccadilloes.
Alexandrine
Super Moderator

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2011, 04:26:00 pm »

I've edited  sorry But Kuei but Catherine the Great's son was not Romanov!

TCP you were right his granny was the Romanov! But she was married to George I not Alice. Princess Alice married Prince Andrew son of Olga and George. And they were the parents of Philip.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 04:29:04 pm by Alexandrine » Logged

Kuei Fei
Princess

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2011, 08:07:18 pm »

But Kuei but Catherine the Great's son was not Romanov!

Which technically calls into question who should be sitting on the Russian Throne, for all that it's empty and technically the Russian people are no longer subjects. I did watch a documentary on YouTube about the Imperial history and it's interesting that the Romanovs were the ones who actually instituted serfdom. Unnerving. The child between Catherine and her lover was part of the Russian aristocratic lineage, but if the child is not a Romanov and part of the imperial line, then it is quite the issue since the current descendants may not have any right to any of the titles that they hold as Russian royalties.

To receive regular news, go to "@gossippsychotic" to get updates from various other gossip websites such as "Downtown Chatter" or "Royal Gossip Psychotic" and end up reading all about all sorts of peccadilloes.
danifaul
Countess

Sorry for the spelling errors..

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2011, 02:07:43 pm »

'No  thumbsdown Though George V and Tsar Nicholas II were cousins.''
TCP thankyou Yes, it is uncanny indeed  easter-think

Quote:'When Tsar Nicholas II of Russia, George's first cousin (their mothers were sisters), was overthrown in the Russian Revolution of 1917,
the British Government offered asylum to the Tsar and his family, but worsening conditions for the British people, and fears that revolution might come
to the British Isles, led George to think that the presence of the Russian royals might seem inappropriate under the circumstances.
Despite the later claims of Lord Mountbatten of Burma that David Lloyd George, the Prime Minister, was opposed to the rescue of the
Russian imperial family, the letters of the King's private secretary, Lord Stamfordham, suggest that it was George V who opposed the
rescue against the advice of the government.Advanced planning for a rescue was undertaken by MI1, a branch of the British secret service,
but because of the strengthening position of the Bolshevik revolutionaries and wider difficulties with the conduct of the war,
the plan was never put into operation.The Tsar and his immediate family remained in Russia, where they were murdered by Bolsheviks in 1918.
The following year, Nicholas's mother (George's aunt) Maria Feodorovna (Dagmar of Denmark) and other members of the extended Russian imperial family
were rescued from the Crimea by British ships.'
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_V_of_the_United_Kingdom

"In search of exile elsewhere, Lloyd George offered a haven in Britain, only for the offer to be withdrawn under the direction of King George V , who did not wish to be associated with his autocratic cousin at this point: a controversial decision." http://www.firstworldwar.com/bio/nicholasii.htm

tequiero
courtier

I like to move it, move it :):):)

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2011, 03:19:55 pm »

The story is totally fascinating wo how a friend of them sewed the jewellery into his coat and traveled to England looking poor and unsuspicious.

It's well known that when Russian aristocrats were escaping, they had jewells sewed into their clothes. There is an anegdote (from a true story) that one daughter of a countess weighed twice more than usuall when her family boarded a ship.

What is more, when the Tsar and his family were being killed, the bullets couldn't puncture their bodies because they all had some jewells sewed into clothes, especially all the grand duchesses in their corsets.

Harry-ite #6
karla64
Baroness

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2011, 04:10:53 pm »

Thank you for the links.. It is very interesting about history of Romanov royal family....It is my favorite royal family England  and Russia..

karla64

thumbsup

[
Kuei Fei
Princess

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2011, 09:58:33 pm »

"In search of exile elsewhere, Lloyd George offered a haven in Britain, only for the offer to be withdrawn under the direction of King George V , who did not wish to be associated with his autocratic cousin at this point: a controversial decision." http://www.firstworldwar.com/bio/nicholasii.htm

Which shows why royals have no business meddling in politics and another example of the House of Windsor worrying more about it's image than it's humanity. I cannot believe that the Windsors did this, even though I've read about it time and time again.

Alexandrine
Super Moderator

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2011, 03:29:38 pm »

But Kuei but Catherine the Great's son was not Romanov!

Which technically calls into question who should be sitting on the Russian Throne, for all that it's empty and technically the Russian people are no longer subjects. I did watch a documentary on YouTube about the Imperial history and it's interesting that the Romanovs were the ones who actually instituted serfdom. Unnerving. The child between Catherine and her lover was part of the Russian aristocratic lineage, but if the child is not a Romanov and part of the imperial line, then it is quite the issue since the current descendants may not have any right to any of the titles that they hold as Russian royalties.

I've looked up this and most consider that he was in fact a legitimate son although Catherine wrote in her diary that he was the son of her lover at that moment. I've always read the illegitmate theory and from what I know of Catherine's husband I still have my doubts.

Kuei if the father doesn't say that the son/daughter is not his, even if he is not the father in reality it is considered to be a legitimate descendent. 

Kuei Fei
Princess

« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2011, 05:47:33 pm »

I see now. Does anyone remember the one Tsar that was assassinated by Catherine, the one called Ivan VI? Supposedly she didn't directly order his death, but she instead reimposed the order decreed by Empress Elizabeth that if in the event of an escape attempt by Ivan or anyone on his behalf, Ivan was to be killed; in the event of illness, a priest, but no doctor.

D.I.R.
Baroness

« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2011, 01:33:25 am »

http://www.trueknowledge.com/q/facts_about__george_mikhailovich_of_russia

http://www.imperialhouse.ru/eng/allnews/articles.html

He's living life comfortably he's one chunky monkey  eating cookies Pic: http://img-fotki.yandex.ru/get/3911/legitimist.7/0_1eda8_6aada8b4_L.jpg
Nighthawk
Princess

« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2011, 02:03:03 am »

for one being chunky he sure is a cutie pie, thanks for the info DIR
D.I.R.
Baroness

« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2011, 06:45:12 am »

de nada NightHawk easter-egg-basket yeah he's cute looking & classy. Bet you his mama & grandmama are extra protective of him and the type of girls he see. He needs to get their approval of a girl just to date him. hehehe.
Kuei Fei
Princess

« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2011, 07:06:44 am »

The dethroned dynasties are really protective of who their offspring date or marry. Not like the reigning royalties.

D.I.R.
Baroness

« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2011, 05:24:24 am »

Yes they are but then some are not. Like the Italian Princes for example.
The reigning "royals" whatever royals are these days are too cocky and confident that they think that they can do anything everything to their hearts content.They just don't know that its the collective (aristo's) that keep them there as their mouth piece or puppet whatever however it is you see it.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: