Royal Gossip
April 20, 2019, 05:51:37 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: It's the North that is saying no to the Royal Wedding and street parties  (Read 3074 times)
True Brit
Duchess

« on: April 02, 2011, 12:55:31 pm »

Admittedly it's the DM stirring it up again and they are comparing cities with counties in some cases which is just wrong as the two can't be compared like this but overall the message is this wedding is highly divisive.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1372557/Prince-William-Kate-Middletons-wedding-garnered-terms-street-parties-north-oppose-south.html#comments

" Kate, Pippa and Carole Middleton seen at Manolo Blahnik today.. overheard asking if they carried shoes for cloven hooves. "
Spitfire
Countess

« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2011, 02:40:54 pm »

I wish that the DM would face up to the fact that very few people in the UK, whether in the north or in the south, give a toss about this wedding.  Looks like another desperate exercise to whip up enthusiasm for this lacklustre event!  Boring!!

The ghost of Frances Winchcombe is finding a new house to haunt.  She has reportedly said: "Carole Middleton scares me to death..."
True Brit
Duchess

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2011, 08:54:09 am »

Hello Spitfire. As I read this there are zero parties in Scotland, very few in the North, a few in selected parts of Wales and the rest of the South and no idea what's going on in Northern Ireland (but they are very loyal - if that side of the divide). So in total not much interest across the UK except in pockets. It's hardly a ringing endorsement.

" Kate, Pippa and Carole Middleton seen at Manolo Blahnik today.. overheard asking if they carried shoes for cloven hooves. "
Kuei Fei
Princess

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2011, 11:16:26 pm »

The North has always been contentious in Britain. Often, the North is ignored by the capital and RF and the aristocrats often ignored. Diana and Fergie both came from the Southern aristocracy/gentry and the RF haven't always paid much attention to Scotland or Northern England.

To receive regular news, go to "@gossippsychotic" to get updates from various other gossip websites such as "Downtown Chatter" or "Royal Gossip Psychotic" and end up reading all about all sorts of peccadilloes.
pyrenees
courtier

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2011, 02:08:14 am »

You know what, my friend is inviting me to visit her in Scotland. She lives in the highlands but her family never mention anything about the upcoming royal-wedding-fiasco. They are more interested in X-factor/ Britain's got talent.
And I'm planning to skip London and go to Dublin instead upon my other friend's invite.
Yooper
Princess

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2011, 02:46:52 am »

After this nightmare is over, I'm going to Las Cruces (short flight for me).  10 days in turquoise water and bubbling endless pools with people rubbing my feet and cleansing the toxins of this 'thing'.

As for the north vs south of England, I don't understand.  I'd love to hear more.

\"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.\"  Thomas Jefferson
mousiekins
Super Moderator

Harryite #2

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2011, 03:32:21 am »

We are left to our own devices up here in the North. I honestly don't have much of a connection to London as it's 'down there' and has little effect on me.

If you ask a Northerners about the South they will say they are Posh snobs and Southerners say we are loud overweight drunks up North. (stereotyping)

It is a class thing as well with South being very affluent and us up North are poorer. Politics too, North - Labour, South - Conservative.

People living in the south are likely to be better educated and earn more money than their northern counterparts. Southerners will also have more doctors and dentists to treat them although they get ill less. Us Northerners work more in trade and in skills sets like Labouring work.

Here are some North/South jokes

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/picturegalleries/uknews/6234576/British-humour-The-North-South-divide.html

which non Brits may not get
« Last Edit: April 28, 2011, 03:35:15 am by mousiekins » Logged

Yooper
Princess

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2011, 03:38:03 am »

Thank you, Mousie.  As usual, I learn something every day here.  Tremendously helpful in understanding the mindset of what you all are going through.  But, you've certainly blown away the stereotype of the northern belief.  Smart cookie, you are!

When anyone cares (later) there are many diverse sections in the US, too, that have the same issues, but, oddly, kind of the reverse from you. 

\"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.\"  Thomas Jefferson
Kuei Fei
Princess

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2011, 03:49:15 am »

We are left to our own devices up here in the North. I honestly don't have much of a connection to London as it's 'down there' and has little effect on me. If you ask a Northerners about the South they will say they are Posh snobs and Southerners say we are loud overweight drunks up North. (stereotyping)

Well, the Northern aristocrats are OLD OLD OLD titles and have been around since before the Tudors even. Since the Tudors, the Northern aristocrats have been pretty much neglected and shoved aside. The mentality is vastly different too; I don't think a Northern aristocrat would have gone on Andrew Morton and proceeded to cavort with Al Fayed. I don't understand why William didn't go for a Howard or Percy.

To receive regular news, go to "@gossippsychotic" to get updates from various other gossip websites such as "Downtown Chatter" or "Royal Gossip Psychotic" and end up reading all about all sorts of peccadilloes.
Yooper
Princess

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2011, 03:53:49 am »

You went way over my head there, KF, but I will say that, in US terms, Jemima Johnson from Mobile, AL wouldn't be marrying a Yankee with much ease.  Nor would a surfer dude from where I am move to Minnesota, love or no love.  She/He'd move here or meet in Denver for some snowboarding.

Earth Angel
Countess

Can you imagine a time when the truth ran free ...

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2011, 03:55:33 am »

thankyou Mousie. Very interesting. Especially since the country is so small. I'm always interested in what connects people and what drives them apart. Perceptions, assumptions, & stereotypes are powerful indicators of any given culture and unfortunately some peoples behaviors are driven by such. I was reading April's "Psychology Today" about an hour ago & it discusses this kind of stuff, including the "mob mentality". ...  

"The searching-out and thorough investigation of truth ought to be the primary study of man." ~ Cicero
"The way to gain a good reputation, is to endeavor to be what you desire to appear" ~ Socrates
"During times of universal deceit telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act". ~ George Orwell
"On the road from the City of Skepticism, I had to pass through the Valley of Ambiguity". ~ Adam Smith

*All posts are my opinion, based on what I know to be true at the time of the post, unless otherwise specified. All intents and purposes are free; no ill will or maliciousness involved*
mousiekins
Super Moderator

Harryite #2

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2011, 04:18:38 am »

We are a small country but during the Industrial Revolution was when the divide really took hold. As mentioned above the Northerners are 'in trade' and the factories were all built here and we worked in them. Many northern cities underwent a process of intense industrialisation, as raw materials such as coal and iron ore could be found in these areas. However because of this it led to over reliance on a few key industries and, as heavy industry began to leave the UK for developing countries we lost everything and many places have become Ghost Towns. The 80's were marred by Strikes and Riots as Northerners lost their livelihoods which we still have not recovered from. Nothing has replaced the factories and Mines which once employed whole towns.

Yooper
Princess

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2011, 04:21:38 am »

So revealing and fascinating, Mousie.  Thank you.  We have much of the same thing in the northern tier of Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan and so on.  Mining areas that have never really recovered.  It was a very unusual thing for someone from the mines to go to college.

Interesting.  This is why I really came here.  To learn, and boy, oh boy, have I!  Thank you, again, MK.

mousiekins
Super Moderator

Harryite #2

« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2011, 05:03:19 am »

I am a history nerd I love it.  lips

I also know alot about the strikes as my family was greatly affected. My Father's Dad worked in a glass factory (gone) and my Mother's Dad was a Miner (all gone). They were on strike nearly none stop for over 2 years!.

But it is also a state of mind as well as economics and politics. Where I am from in the North is not a Royal hotspot, in fact the Pub that started to Gun Powder Plot is just streets away! We don't concern ourselves with what is happening down south because it never really concerns us. So I am not surprised that the Royal Wedding is being ignored.

Yooper
Princess

« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2011, 05:25:40 am »

Fascinating.  Truly.  If I ever get over my prejudice of being on the same soil as Wasty I'll come your way and then to Scotland.  Promise!

mousiekins
Super Moderator

Harryite #2

« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2011, 04:19:23 pm »

Maybe you could come when she is on one of her many vacations or (I hope!) over sea visits  Hi

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: