Royal Gossip
October 22, 2017, 04:41:23 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 36   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Diana's Death and Memories ~ 20th Anniversary  (Read 63276 times)
meememe
Duchess

« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2012, 10:28:57 pm »

I miss her too. I wonder what she would make of her eldest son marrying a woman like Kate and Harry behaving like a drunken lout?

She would be very proud of them I think.

She wanted them to live 'normal' lives and they are living like 'normal' people - Harry as the average English drunken lout and William having married a girl from a normal two parent family.

She would be very pleased with the way they have turned out.
YooperModerator
Super Moderator

« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2012, 10:55:43 pm »

^you're being sarcastic, right?  dontknow

\\\"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.\\\"  Thomas Jefferson
sandy
Princess

« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2012, 03:12:48 pm »

I don't think her idea of William being "normal" was for him to retreat to SAR and go on vacations in between going to sports events and movie premieres and have the little wife practically be given a Nobel Prize for pushing a cart in a supermarket,  donning an apron and being a "normal housewife." GMAB.
True Brit
Duchess

« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2012, 03:18:30 pm »

Neither do I Sandy ^. I am sure she wanted to show them the "ordinary" side of life but she never lived to raise them above that. I am sure she would never have allowed William to hide away in St Andrews but encouraged him to Oxbridge or Harvard.

Sadly she went leaving a well meant project unfinished and both seem to be stuck at a certain level of development.

" Kate, Pippa and Carole Middleton seen at Manolo Blahnik today.. overheard asking if they carried shoes for cloven hooves. "
Yooper
Princess

« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2012, 03:47:39 pm »

All I can do is speak as a mother and as such, so far, there's nothing here that these 'boys' have done that hits the mark in the life planning/personal responsibility arena.  She had, as any mother has, much more expectations for her children especially considering the opportunities that lay ahead for the taking, if they'd gone for the gold, so to speak.  Just those ghastly jeggings of WK's would've made my head spin let alone all of the other pompous, special treatment that they seem to take as a given.  That just simply wasn't her style at ALL. 

I wonder if they ever stop and think, "What would mom have had to say about this?"  Surely, they must, so perhaps there's hope.  Not that PD was perfect, but in their eyes, she is deeply missed I'm sure, beyond any imagining, so why they don't honor her on a constant basis is a head-shaker for me.

\"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.\"  Thomas Jefferson
Cressida
Baroness

« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2012, 05:31:25 pm »

I agree Yooper. I think she wanted them to have an understanding of life outside the royal goldfish bowl, so that they could take that knowledge and act in a less distant manner - get down to people's level like she did, if you like. She wanted them to be responsible and caring. I am damn sure that had she been alive, Kate wouldn't have got past the first post. Diana would have seen through her straight away. The boys have been allowed to get away with far too much because Charles has been too busy polishing his lacklustre image and pushing his wife forward. I mean what Dad would let their teenage boys create a 'nightclub' in the cellar for all their mates to drink and take drugs, like Charles did at Highgrove? They have not had the guidance Diana would have given to them, and boy does it show! Diana may not have been perfect but she was a good mum and she had her boys future well thought out.

Jane23
Princess

« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2012, 06:36:53 pm »

Not her biggest fan and I don't think she was "Mother of the Year" but it's sad she died so young without growing up and making a real life for herself outside of the BRF like I knew she would have...I think the woman was a mess and the way she choose to divorce her husband of more than 15 years proves that that's why it is sad she never got the chance to have a happy life...
sandy
Princess

« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2012, 07:52:02 pm »

Diana was used as a broodmare and thrown away, she was bitter and I don't blame  her in the least. She didn't live long enough to perhaps find Mr Right and have a real marriage. I think Charles was and is a mess, with his precious sense of entitlement and his thinking that because of who he was women would jump through hoops for him--the little wifey would turn a blind eye about Camilla and Camilla would wait around for Charles to show up between appearances with the wife.  Charles I think is too precious for words. He really should have waited a few more years to start the Campaign for Camilla instead of beginning less than a year after the boys' mother passed away. There was no hurry, he didn't need any more heirs and she could no longer have children in all probability.
Yooper
Princess

« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2012, 08:00:35 pm »

^^Cressida - I was reading something today about JFK, Jr. and Caroline and how strict Jackie was and loving Bobby was with them and, in the end, it showed(s).  No way would PD have allowed the shenanigans that PC did but I don't think he knew any better.  Diana seemed to have her finger on the pulse of that sort of thing mainly because she was younger (?).  I don't know, but the Kennedy children had major, major assassinations/public losses far beyond PW/PH and could have turned out a whole lot worse.  For me, the loss of their mother in their young lives is absolutely important, but what is more important is how they were dealt with from that point onward.  To me, it seems as though they were given a free pass in far too many areas as a way of allowing them to be 'happy'.  Well, parenting doesn't work like that and I still think PD is twirling in her grave, God rest her soul.

^Out of curiosity, and don't feel that you have to answer, Jane23, but have you been/are married and do you have children?

\"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.\"  Thomas Jefferson
sandy
Princess

« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2012, 08:07:57 pm »

Not her biggest fan and I don't think she was "Mother of the Year" but it's sad she died so young without growing up and making a real life for herself outside of the BRF like I knew she would have...I think the woman was a mess and the way she choose to divorce her husband of more than 15 years proves that that's why it is sad she never got the chance to have a happy life...

Was he really a husband to her for 15 years? The Camilla factor is left out in this analysis. Camilla was always a part of the marriage in one way or another IMO. I think Diana did not want to live a sham of a marriage with Charles. It wasn't as if he were any sort of a real  husband to her after she had the children for him. Charles aired a lot of dirty linen and he was no prize.
Jane23
Princess

« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2012, 08:19:44 pm »

@ Yooper  Never been married no children why?
Yooper
Princess

« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2012, 08:21:55 pm »

^As I said, just curious.  It helps sometimes to know people's experiences in life to better understand their points of view.

dianab
Countess

« Reply #32 on: August 28, 2012, 09:03:08 pm »

Was he really a husband to her for 15 years? The Camilla factor is left out in this analysis. Camilla was always a part of the marriage in one way or another IMO. I think Diana did not want to live a sham of a marriage with Charles. It wasn't as if he were any sort of a real  husband to her after she had the children for him. Charles aired a lot of dirty linen and he was no prize.
I think Diana would have been a mess if she was the same sort of person as Charles, Camilla & rest of Highgrove Set ... and what matters to her was status, facade, titles, names et al ...

IMO her dissatisfaction in living lie came of same feelings made her fight for causes as AIDS, leprosy, landmines ... very unpopular issues, not supported for BRF & their likes ... IMO Diana was real woman she choiced be herself, be loyal to herself than a syncophant of bunch completely out of touch & who know treat better horses than their own children ... for me her actions talks loud about her human nature, the same thing with Charles & Camilla their actions talks louds about themselves I do really dont appreciated sort of people as Charles & Camilla ... if Diana was as them I definitely wouldn't be her fan.

My respect & admiration for Diana is because the way she choise be, loyal to herself not to what wanted she had been... I always see her as a woman chose be loyal to herself not puppet (a person without personality).

I think William & Harry reflect their father a man unable take responsability for his actions what most matters is a facade for the public and in private be a mess. Looks in children of Charles'friends (some of them are his godchildren) what they have so different of William & Harry? ... maybe the most famous name is Tara Palmer-T...

@Yooper
Talking in Jackie I remember she refused attend to famous birthday of JFK (with Marilyn singing) ... I respect she for it ... I'm sure that her decision wasnt very popular with certain people but showed she wasnt a puppet of Kennedys.

For me her children would have outed so different - positively - of their Kennedy cousins is exclusive & solely her blame.  

I would say the children of Anne & Andrew turned out much better than William & Harry... their experiences aren't this different of Charles, right?
I think Charles a incredible mess this reflect in his sons. As I write in another thread if Jackie had died not JFK their children will be the same mess that their cousins.

I can not have respect for a father as Charles who exposed Harry for get good press. I think his behavior with his sons completely despicable. I dont want nor touch his behavior with Diana.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 09:05:13 pm by dianab » Logged
Mooster
Duchess

"William, stop worrying...the paps wouldn't dare!"

« Reply #33 on: August 28, 2012, 09:54:36 pm »

]I think the woman was a mess and the way she choose to divorce her husband of more than 15 years proves that that's why it is sad she never got the chance to have a happy life...

Diana was a mess due to Charles unforgiveable treatment of her.  Diana did not want a divorce, she wanted a normal marriage (just her and her husband) and for her marriage to work.  Charles pushed for the divorce when Diana decided she would not sit in the corner quietly and put up with all the crap he wanted to cover her in.  RIP Diana...they did not deserve you   wine

Diana, Zac, Jemima, Ben and Sir James Goldsmith    

meememe
Duchess

« Reply #34 on: August 28, 2012, 10:24:39 pm »

Diana was the one who set the wheels in motion for the divorce when she cooperated with the Morton book.  Once that book was there there was no way back and divorce was inevitable - regardless of what Diana might have said there was no way Charles would have her back after that public washing the dirty linen in public and the lying about it to her monarch.

As for the earlier comment fromn Cressida about 'what Dad would let their teenage boys create a 'nightclub' in the cellar for all their mates to drink and take drugs, like Charles did at Highgrove' quite a few in my knowledge.  A number of the kids I teach have that sort of set up - with the father's argument that it is more controlled than not allowing their sons a place to do those things in private.  I know of 5 in my Year 11 and 12 classes this year alone and no doubt there are others.

As for Diana being a good mother - I am not so sure - she only saw them for 6 weeks a year and it was all holiday mode - she wasn't the one raising them.  That job was done by the boarding schools she and Charles chose for their children - like all kids at boarding schools they were raised by their teachers, house parents and their peers (and yes I went to boarding school).  We all know that when we have kids in 'holiday mode' there are different rules to the day to day rules and with Diana the boys were always in holiday mode - as they were with Charles for the 6 weeks per year they spent with him while she was alive.  

A large part of her legacy of course are her fans - most of whom are follow her lead in wanting Charles to be miserable his entire life and express that desire in some of the most vicious, nasty and vitriolic ways.  That will be her long lasting legacy - hatred for her husband.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 10:27:33 pm by meememe » Logged
YooperModerator
Super Moderator

« Reply #35 on: August 28, 2012, 10:57:15 pm »

goodpost

Most ppl seem to forget that Eton was a full boarding school for the two boy's they didn't go home every day or even every weekend!
I too went to full boarding school for two years and I saw my parents only at Christmas, Easter, in the bankholiday's, and the eight weeks of summer break,
I was 11 and the teachers/dorm lady saw the worst of my puberty hit,
It's the main reason my parents think of me being an polite angel they weren't around when things got rough (and by god did I take advantage of that! tehe)
I think at a certain moment the Queen with her weekly talks saw more of William then either Charles or Diana did.
Add to that the fact that both C and D had nanny's for the boy's and the statement that they 'raised' their boy's sounds rather hollow.

\\\"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.\\\"  Thomas Jefferson
Grace
Countess

« Reply #36 on: August 28, 2012, 11:08:08 pm »

I miss Diana

YooperModerator
Super Moderator

« Reply #37 on: August 28, 2012, 11:32:10 pm »

there

dianab
Countess

« Reply #38 on: August 28, 2012, 11:40:17 pm »

thankyou Grace for lovely post.  Kiss

@meememe

Legacy of Diana in a way is same of Jackie they were two most famous/photographed woman in the world. They're 2 icons of 20th Century.

They were bigger than their husbands & families. This status they held were because they had that incredible charisma, magic, it thing, star factor, that je ne sais ce quoi, a special charm & grace what you likes names it. They werent products of media, for me Kate IS and isnt working. If Jackie & Diana were media products then all princess & first-lady would be all over the place and isnt what happens.

For me the legacy of Diana is her work with unpopular causes and during her time be a caring and loving princess not stiff, formal & cold, trying modernize the monarchy. Of course she was a icon of style & elegance.

Like Jackie, Audrey, Grace Kelly, Elizabeth Taylor, Marilyn ... Diana will be a eternal icon. With it would have more press than many people alive.

I agree Diana wanted a divorce and have her own life. If the Queen had one thing named good sense she would have probavly divorced her sons together with divorce of Anne. Whatever your opinion of Diana, Charles, Camilla, the War of Waleses, Fergie, Andrew et al that will be the best for the monarchy.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 11:48:04 pm by dianab » Logged
Yooper
Princess

« Reply #39 on: August 29, 2012, 04:22:22 am »

there  ^^^Grace.  I, too, miss her and every so often stop and think how she would feel about this/that or what strides she'd be making in the world toward her devotion to those less fortunate.  Say what you will, she used her status in the right direction more than most.  An icon to be sure.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 36   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: