Royal Gossip
January 16, 2018, 07:45:26 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: British Royal History  (Read 8984 times)
Grey Mare
Countess

« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2013, 02:14:17 pm »

sigh William the Conqueror was a Norman and not a direct descendent of any of the Saxon Kings before him.  He won England from the Saxons.  Every King/Queen after William the Conqueror was his direct descendent, therefore the monarchy ruling over England as one country did start with him.

It was only thru his wife and his son's (King Henry I) wife that Saxon royal blood was brought back.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 02:17:41 pm by Grey Mare » Logged
Freya
Duchess

« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2013, 02:23:58 pm »

^
It was already a Kingdom under King Harold who fought William at the Battle of Hastings. The RF are connected to the Saxon Royal house through a number of lines.
buflesse
Duchess

« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2013, 02:37:18 pm »

Æthelstan was the first king to rule over a united England.
Grey Mare
Countess

« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2013, 03:02:47 pm »

^
It was already a Kingdom under King Harold who fought William at the Battle of Hastings. The RF are connected to the Saxon Royal house through a number of lines.

After William the Conqueror, King Harold's blood thru his daughter (Gytha) did not return to England's RF until Edward III married Philippa of Hainault.  Philippa of Hainault was a descendent of King Harold.

Æthelstan was the first king to rule over a united England.

Æthelstan was not an ancestor William the Conqueror.  He also had no direct descendents.  Thru female lines the BRF descends from his half-brother Edmund.

I was talking about direct not a number of lines.
buflesse
Duchess

« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2013, 03:06:13 pm »

True, but members of the British Royal Family are direct descendants of Anglo-Saxon Kings, so I wouldn't say that the monarchy as we know it began with William the Conqueror. It's all by-the-by though.

Queen's Elizabeth's ancestry through the Cerdic and the West Saxon royal line (including Alfred the Great):

Cerdic, 1st King of Wessex ---> Creoda ---> Cynric of Wessex ---> Ceawlin of Wessex ---> Cuthwine ---> Cutha Cathwulf ---> Ceolwald of Wessex ---> Coenred of Wessex ---> Ingild of Wessex ---> Eoppa ---> Eafa ---> Ealhmund of Kent ---> Egbert I (first King of England) ---> Aethelwulf of Wessex ---> Alfred the Great ---> Edward the Elder ---> Edmund I ---> Edgar ---> Ethelred II ---> Edmund II ---> Edward the Exile ---> Margaret of Scotland ---> Edith of Scotland ---> Empress Matilda ---> Henry II ---> King John ---> Henry III ---> Edward I ---> Edward II ---> Edward III ---> Lionel, 1st Duke of Clarence ---> Philippa, 5th Countess of Ulster ---> Roger, 4th Earl of March ---> Anne de Mortimer ---> Richard, 3rd Duke of York ---> Edward IV ---> Elizabeth of York ---> Margaret Tudor ---> James V of Scotland ---> Mary, Queen of Scots ---> James I and VI of England and Scotland ---> Elizabeth of Bohemia ---> Sophia of Hanover ---> George I ---> George II ---> Frederick, Prince of Wales ---> George III ---> Edward, Duke of Kent and Strathearn ---> Queen Victoria ---> Edward VII ---> George V ---> George VI ---> Queen Elizabeth II

Another line from Alfred the Great:

Alfred the Great ---> Aelfthryth, Countess of Flanders ---> Arnulf I, Count of Flanders ---> Baldwin III of Flanders ---> Arnulf II, Count of Flanders ---> Baldwin IV, Count of Flanders---> Baldwin V, Count of Flanders---> Matilda of Flanders ---> Henry I of England ---> Empress Matilda ---> Henry II ---> King John ---> Henry III ---> Edward I ---> Edward II ---> Edward III ---> Lionel, 1st Duke of Clarence ---> Philippa, 5th Countess of Ulster ---> Roger, 4th Earl of March ---> Anne de Mortimer ---> Richard, 3rd Duke of York ---> Edward IV ---> Elizabeth of York ---> Margaret Tudor ---> James V of Scotland ---> Mary, Queen of Scots ---> James I and VI of England and Scotland ---> Elizabeth of Bohemia ---> Sophia of Hanover ---> George I ---> George II ---> Frederick, Prince of Wales ---> George III ---> Edward, Duke of Kent and Strathearn ---> Queen Victoria ---> Edward VII ---> George V ---> George VI ---> Queen Elizabeth II

Queen Elizabeth's ancestry through Harold Godwinson (Harold II of England):

Harold Godwinson ---> Gytha of Wessex ---> Mstislav I of Kiev ---> Euphrosyne of Kiev ---> Bela III of Hungary ---> Andrew II of Hungary ---> Violant of Hungary ---> Isabella of Aragon ---> Philip IV of France ---> Isabella of France, Queen of England ---> Edward III ---> Lionel, 1st Duke of Clarence ---> Philippa, 5th Countess of Ulster ---> Roger, 4th Earl of March ---> Anne de Mortimer ---> Richard, 3rd Duke of York ---> Edward IV ---> Elizabeth of York ---> Margaret Tudor ---> James V of Scotland ---> Mary, Queen of Scots ---> James I and VI of England and Scotland ---> Elizabeth of Bohemia ---> Sophia of Hanover ---> George I ---> George II ---> Frederick, Prince of Wales ---> George III ---> Edward, Duke of Kent and Strathearn ---> Queen Victoria ---> Edward VII ---> George V ---> George VI ---> Queen Elizabeth II
Freya
Duchess

« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2013, 03:32:41 pm »

^
I think that Gytha had other descendents that link to the BRF as well. There were a number from the Kievian RF that married into Bohemian, Polish and Northern European families and these subsequentky intermarried with Danish French and British Royalty.
Alexandrine
Super Moderator

« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2013, 03:42:11 pm »

Please if anyone considers that there is a better title for this thread please tell me.

“Three things are to be looked to in a building: that it stand on the right spot, that it be securely founded, that it be successfully executed.” ~ Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
buflesse
Duchess

« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2013, 03:51:45 pm »

Thanks for creating a separate thread, it was moving very off-topic in the old one  flower
Alexandrine
Super Moderator

« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2013, 03:55:48 pm »

Yep it was  tehe You're welcome  flower

“Three things are to be looked to in a building: that it stand on the right spot, that it be securely founded, that it be successfully executed.” ~ Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Grey Mare
Countess

« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2013, 04:15:34 pm »

^ It's fine.  Sorry for being off topic.
Tatiana
Countess

I come from a long line of Monarchists.

« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2013, 11:29:56 pm »

There has been no King or Queen of England since 1603, when James VI of Scotland became King.... his mother was Mary, Queen of Scots.

Here is a list of Kings and Queens of Scotland.

http://www.britroyals.com/scotstimeline.asp

Snokitty
Princess

« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2013, 12:35:11 am »

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/amy-licence/was-the-white-queen-actually-the-wrong-queen_b_3328390.html?utm_hp_ref=tw
With the screening of the BBC's White Queen drama series only weeks away, many questions about the life of Elizabeth Wydeville remain unanswered. None more so than that of her marriage. Depicted by Philippa Gregory as a beautiful siren, claiming her descent from the mythical water spirit Melusine, Elizabeth's love story with Edward IV will unfold before thousands of eager viewers. As the series will show, it was a controversial match, shrouded in secrecy, which was deeply unpopular with Edward's nobles. After his death, rumours of a pre-contract made by the lusty King to another woman, proved the means by which his children were declared illegitimate. Yet, at the start, Edward may not have intended to honour his marriage at all. The secrecy and reputed date of the ceremony points to a lost tradition that may help us better understand his motives.

Edward was no innocent when he met the widowed Elizabeth, reputedly waiting to waylay him in the forest of Whittlebury. According to contemporary chroniclers, he already had something of a reputation with the ladies and may have fathered existing illegitimate children. One claimed he "overcame all" with promises and money whilst another said the new king thought of nothing but women. It was probably not the first time he had seen the beautiful blonde, yet the match came as a surprise to all. Elizabeth's application to Lord Hastings for assistance, in spring 1464, implies she was unaware that she would soon remarry; otherwise she had no need to appeal to Hastings as a protector. This squeezes the courtship into a very rapid timescale. However fuelled by lust he may have been, Edward was no fool. It seems unlikely that he would have risked making a permanent union so quickly, particularly as his subsequent silence shows he knew how controversial the match would prove. It is far more probable that the secret May Day "ceremony" was for the benefit of the bride and her family.
berlin
Countess

« Reply #32 on: June 01, 2013, 02:08:58 am »

Womanizing causes so much trouble.  If only Edward IV had married a suitable woman.
terrajoule
Baroness

Space. The final frontier...

« Reply #33 on: June 01, 2013, 05:37:42 am »

Interesting article of history.  I like the huff post.  thumbsup

I am a collection of dismantled almosts. -Anne Sexton, from A Self-Portrait In Letters
Nighthawk
Princess

« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2014, 02:45:54 pm »

King Alfred the Great's bones discovered inside a MUSEUM: Remains inside box are thought to belong to Anglo-Saxon ruler
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2541267/King-Alfred-Greats-bones-discovered-inside-MUSEUM-Remains-inside-box-thought-belong-Anglo-Saxon-ruler.html#ixzz2qfQKq3sX
terrajoule
Baroness

Space. The final frontier...

« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2014, 07:40:49 pm »

Alfred the Great is remembered as a warrior king who protected the country from the Vikings.
Ha! Those Kings are found to be in the oddest of places. Parking lot. Box.  easter-lol

I am a collection of dismantled almosts. -Anne Sexton, from A Self-Portrait In Letters
Snokitty
Princess

« Reply #36 on: March 15, 2014, 08:36:07 am »

http://www.express.co.uk/news/royal/465003/From-Queen-Elizabeth-II-to-Kate-Middleton-An-introduction-to-a-regal-romance

PRINCE HARRY and girlfriend Cressida Bonas have been recently pictured enjoying their first 'official' public appearance together but how does it compare with the debuts made by other royal couples?
D.I.R.
Baroness

« Reply #37 on: December 18, 2017, 07:40:03 pm »

Had Queen Elizabeth I Consolidated her Power Before 1571?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJiBK5vxvus
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: