Royal Gossip
October 24, 2018, 07:08:47 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: British Royal History  (Read 9900 times)
mousiekins
Super Moderator

Harryite #2

« on: March 25, 2011, 01:36:58 pm »

http://abcnews.go.com/International/Royal_Wedding/royal-wedding-talking-colleen-harris/story?id=13202271

Nighthawk
Princess

« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2011, 05:33:23 pm »

Timeline: 100 years of Britain's Royal Family
http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/03/30/us-britain-wedding-family-idUSTRE72T3KZ20110330

was so excited to read this and sure enough WK was the first thing in this article mentioned  thumbsdown X-Mas_rolleyes
Nighthawk
Princess

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2011, 07:35:59 pm »

British royalty dined on human flesh (but don't worry it was 300 years ago)
 http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1389142/British-royalty-dined-human-flesh-dont-worry-300-years-ago.html#ixzz1Mv2m3WTe

blink the DM can't even do a history article without mentioning worthlessness WK nomorekate

I'll go get  ick now
Earth Angel
Countess

Can you imagine a time when the truth ran free ...

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2011, 11:04:52 pm »

ick

"The searching-out and thorough investigation of truth ought to be the primary study of man." ~ Cicero
"The way to gain a good reputation, is to endeavor to be what you desire to appear" ~ Socrates
"During times of universal deceit telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act". ~ George Orwell
"On the road from the City of Skepticism, I had to pass through the Valley of Ambiguity". ~ Adam Smith

*All posts are my opinion, based on what I know to be true at the time of the post, unless otherwise specified. All intents and purposes are free; no ill will or maliciousness involved*
Contessa
courtier

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2011, 12:50:11 pm »

http://www.hrp.org.uk/discoverthepalaces/Historyandstories/Runningthepalaces/Kitchens.aspx
Contessa
courtier

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2011, 04:31:50 am »

I NEVER thought Charles was a cold father as some have made out he was. I watched a doco once and he was so loving and carefree with them. What a shame some people think negative thoughts about him as a father.
Yooper
Princess

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2011, 04:40:40 am »

In spite of every ridiculous emotion I was going through which was over the top after Diana died, I never once thought that Charles was anything but a warm and caring father.  It was he, if I recall, who insisted on seeing to it that Diana's remains were treated with respect and immediately went to his children.  I think he's gotten a bad rap over the years because of Camilla and his treatment of Diana, when these are two (or is it three, or four?) entirely different relationships.  Anyway, he loves his sons and it shows, to me at least.

\"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.\"  Thomas Jefferson
Kuei Fei
Princess

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2011, 08:57:44 am »

None of these authors have a 'real' inside view since they hardly understand the royal mentality. They hardly see the inner workings and dynamics and they never even really try to understand.

I think he's gotten a bad rap over the years because of Camilla and his treatment of Diana, when these are two (or is it three, or four?) entirely different relationships.  Anyway, he loves his sons and it shows, to me at least.

During the Diana years, they became so chaotic and Diana was fighting her demons, Charles just for some reason was chosen to be the outer embodiment of them and she targeted him accordingly.

To receive regular news, go to "@gossippsychotic" to get updates from various other gossip websites such as "Downtown Chatter" or "Royal Gossip Psychotic" and end up reading all about all sorts of peccadilloes.
Yooper
Princess

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2011, 06:01:47 pm »

I've seen divorce from all sides, and their story is nothing new under the sun.  Fortunately, I had an amicable, "Yeah, this isn't working for me, either" situation with my own divorce.  But my parent's!!!!  It happens.  I survived somewhat intact.  It's just different when the whole world knows, I'm sure.  But, my whole town, which was my world, knew and it was painful, but not the end of the world.

It's seriously time to move on and see Charles as the person he is, and how he acts in public, not surmise whatever, but I, even in the middle of the tabloid firestorm, always believed he wasn't a mean person.  He really believes this dictum that affairs or mistresses are commonplace.  It's how he was raised.

And, so will PW.

\"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.\"  Thomas Jefferson
Kuei Fei
Princess

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2011, 08:48:45 pm »

It's seriously time to move on and see Charles as the person he is, and how he acts in public, not surmise whatever, but I, even in the middle of the tabloid firestorm, always believed he wasn't a mean person.  He really believes this dictum that affairs or mistresses are commonplace.  It's how he was raised.

People conveniently forget that all the stupid time! Hes' not some Anti-Christ and he grew up stuck between generations. That's all that happened with him and he isn't Satan Incarnate for it. For some reason the press can't just let it go and keep ruminating, as if it will change anything.

To receive regular news, go to "@gossippsychotic" to get updates from various other gossip websites such as "Downtown Chatter" or "Royal Gossip Psychotic" and end up reading all about all sorts of peccadilloes.
Tatiana
Countess

I come from a long line of Monarchists.

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2011, 06:21:26 pm »

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2057496/Kensington-Palace-restoration-uncovers-century-old-obscene-graffiti.html

Found the Alexander McQueen story to be somewhat amusing !   tehe

Tatiana
Countess

I come from a long line of Monarchists.

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2011, 06:58:28 am »

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2059668/Kate-Middleton-curse-Kensington-Palace-Can-escape.html

D.I.R.
Baroness

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2012, 06:17:31 am »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DCasz6oeL4&feature=related
Nighthawk
Princess

« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2012, 11:31:51 am »

Perfumed effigy of ‘Butcher’ Duke raises a stink in the Highlands
http://www.scotsman.com/news/scottish-news/top-stories/perfumed-effigy-of-butcher-duke-raises-a-stink-in-the-highlands-1-2399182
HE WAS known as “Butcher” Cumberland, the perpetrator of a bloody stain on Scots 
history that will never be washed clean. Yet a new 
statue to the English Duke is to be unveiled.

The life-size statue of Prince William Augustus on a horse is to be erected in Cavendish Square, London, later this month on the exact spot where his previous effigy – removed in the 19th century because of his ‘war crimes’ – once stood.

The statue will be made of soap, as part of a City of Sculpture art project, and will eventually melt away, but the work has provoked anger in Highland Scotland where “Butcher” Cumberland is still reviled.

South Korean artist Meekyoung Shin became intrigued by the empty Cavendish Square plinth on her frequent visits to London. She is renowned worldwide for soap sculptures that are deliberately allowed to erode to convey the temporary nature of historic events and how they are differently perceived as time passes.

According to the Haunch of Venison gallery in London, which showcases Shin’s work, the one-year-project “is supposed to bring focus to the passage of time as the sculpture weathers.

she did a good job on the sculpture
buflesse
Duchess

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2013, 01:37:03 am »

The last time a climber tried, the daughter was the last of that house.

Well, the monarchy began with a William, perhaps it will end with one.

The first king of England was Æthelstan, Anglo Saxon history is so confusing though dontknow
windsor2
Princess

Harryite #21

« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2013, 02:14:41 am »

I think it's referencing William the Concorer. He was crowned king in 1066.

Keep Calm and Carry On
buflesse
Duchess

« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2013, 02:29:48 am »

Æthelstan was king of the English from 927 to 939, but I suppose because of the Norman Conquest many people see the monarchy as it is now beginning after 1066.
Jessica
courtier

« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2013, 08:25:03 am »

Typically, the British Monarchy is viewed as starting after the Norman Conquest with William the Conquerer as the first King of England.  Which is quite funny since the first king of England isn't actually English (supposedly he didn't even speak any English, or spoke very little English--which isn't surprising since he was French).  But, yes, there were kings in England before him--obviously or else he would have had no one to inherit the throne from/fight over the throne with--they just aren't typically counted.
Freya
Duchess

« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2013, 08:31:42 am »

^
The present Royal family can trace their ancestry to the Anglo Saxon Kings. I think that the confusion is with the fact that many Saxon Kings were of parts of England such as Wessex, Mercia, Sussex. etc. England was united under Athelstan.
True Brit
Duchess

« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2013, 11:42:54 am »

I suspect Grey Mare is referring to the start of the Constitutional Monarchy when the Dutch royal William of Orange was invited by Parliament to become monarch after the "Glorious Revolution" of 1688. That was the start of the monarchical system we recognise today - a monarch with wings clipped by Parliament.

" Kate, Pippa and Carole Middleton seen at Manolo Blahnik today.. overheard asking if they carried shoes for cloven hooves. "
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: