Royal Gossip
November 17, 2017, 07:10:00 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Royal/Aristocratic Palaces and Other Residences  (Read 12308 times)
YooperModerator
Super Moderator

« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2012, 09:34:27 pm »

^err I think we had this one before already
but thanks anyway thankyou

edit : merged it with the other one, A
« Last Edit: September 30, 2012, 09:36:24 pm by akasha2411 » Logged

\\\"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.\\\"  Thomas Jefferson
Fly on the wall
Princess

Lady of Threads

« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2014, 11:42:29 pm »

Bones founds inside mysterious room hidden in the ruins of Scottish castle after it's opened for the first time in 500 years

Archaeologists believe the tiny chamber was sealed up in the 16th century
 Its windows would have been a weak spot if the castle was attacked

Fragments of bones were the only objects found inside the 6sq ft room

Historians are unsure who, or what, these bone fragments belong to

The castle fell into ruin and was abandoned more than 200 years ago

A mysterious room hidden inside the ruins of a Scottish castle has been opened for the first time in more than 500 years.

The tiny chamber - measuring 6ft high and 6ft across - was uncovered during restoration work at Mingary Castle near Kilchoan on the Ardnamurchan peninsula.

Historians have admitted they don't know what the room was used for, and all that has been found inside are a few fragments of bone.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2540030/Mysterious-room-hidden-ruins-Medieval-Scottish-castle-opened-time-500-years.html

NEVER *despise* correction,for those who correct you ,truly LOVE you .They are willing to displease you and possibly lose your friendship ,rather than see you destroyed. Those who *despise* you ,on the other hand ,will allow you to FAIL...because what do they care ?

Every praise is not good and every criticism is not evil..!
Alexandrine
Super Moderator

« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2014, 11:52:00 pm »

How creepy  nervous

“Three things are to be looked to in a building: that it stand on the right spot, that it be securely founded, that it be successfully executed.” ~ Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Nighthawk
Princess

« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2014, 11:59:27 pm »

thank you fly for this article....these types of stories fascinate me to no end
 I do hope there will be an update on this later on in the year or years to come
cate1949
Princess

« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2014, 01:18:14 am »

I really hope these bones are not human.

terrajoule
Baroness

Space. The final frontier...

« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2014, 09:49:27 am »

Eek!  Kind a cool in a mysterious and investigative sort away! Still eek!  nervous

I am a collection of dismantled almosts. -Anne Sexton, from A Self-Portrait In Letters
Pepe Le Skew
Baroness

Oh, drat

« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2014, 06:04:00 am »

Thank you for this find!   And this is why I actually enjoy the DM!  If you look past the articles on celebs who are too fat, too slim, too drunk, or recently sober, you find gems of history and science.   

study

"William was introduced to Mr and Mrs (Ralph) Lauren, and immediately apologised for the Duchess's absence. He said: 'I'm sorry my wife's not here, you probably would far rather you saw my wife.' 'Not at all,' said Mr Lauren."
Dasher
courtier

« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2014, 10:33:38 pm »

Let's hope that the bones found in the hidden room wasn't due to a case of immurement.
Old ruins, castles in particular hide many dark, deep secrets. Numerous infant skeletons have been found buried under and in the walls of Roman structures.
It was purported that the remains of a baby was found in the walls of Glamis Castle.
The tale is that if a royal baby was stillborn, a maids baby was substituted to keep the line going. Crumbs wouldn't like to spend a night there all alone.  nervous

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immurement
Snokitty
Princess

« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2014, 05:09:37 pm »

http://www.scotsman.com/news/scotland/top-stories/queen-s-holyroodhouse-residence-infested-with-pests-1-3349113
THE QUEEN’S official home in Scotland is the most pest-infested of all the nation’s historic properties.

Figures released by Historic Scotland reveal that the Palace of Holyroodhouse in Edinburgh has made 16

pest-related callouts since 2010.

The palace is regularly affected by mice, ants and wasps, although the bill for dealing with the critters was a modest £4801.

Edinburgh Castle came second worst on the list with 11 call outs over the three year period to deal with their unwanted intruders which included mice, wasps and even a squirrel.

Stirling Castle spent the most on eradicating unwanted intruders - splashing out more than £1800 on controlling pigeons and wasps.

As well as spending the third highest amount at £1,104.50, Craigmillar Castle in Edinburgh also had the third most call outs –ten since 2010.

More than £51,000 has been spent on the 345 protected sites in the last three years to battle pest problems.

A spokesman for Historic Scotland said they take “the care and wellbeing” of their sites “very seriously”.

Edinburgh Council received 4722 calls about rats between 2004 and 2013.
Nighthawk
Princess

« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2014, 07:30:29 pm »

wouldn't it be best if the Queen, her minders or whoever the Queen has to answer too... have people actually living in the homes that are not being used all the time? wouldn't that cut down on some of the unwanted house guests..would defiantly help the Queen bring in income to help her take care of her other falling apart homes.
Kuei Fei
Princess

Moderator/I'm so royal I piss blue

« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2014, 11:17:17 pm »

Someone really needs to redo the infrastructure of the castles in Scotland.

To receive regular news, go to "@gossippsychotic" to get updates from various other gossip websites such as "Downtown Chatter" or "Royal Gossip Psychotic" and end up reading all about all sorts of peccadilloes.
Snokitty
Princess

« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2014, 04:30:06 pm »

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2577369/The-Kings-mansion-Inside-5-5million-priory-owned-Henry-VIII.html
These pictures show how a Catholic monastery which was owned by Henry VIII and Elizabeth I has been converted into a luxury home with a £5.5million price tag.

Horton Priory in Ashford, Kent was built in the 12th century - although within its grounds are parts of a settlement dating back as far as the early Iron Age.

The complex was originally owned by King Henry I, but he later handed it over to the Cluniac order of monks to be converted into a medieval priory.

After the dissolution of the monasteries it was seized by Henry VIII, who passed it on to his daughter Elizabeth before the home was given to the Mantell family in 1970.

The Grade I-listed mansion is situated in 55 acres of land, and has undergone a thorough makeover to turn it into a modern home. It now boasts a private cinema, wine cellar, swimming pool, 11 bedrooms and even a driving range.
Countess of Holland
Duchess

« Reply #32 on: March 23, 2014, 05:28:32 pm »

Carole would LOVE to live there!
Nighthawk
Princess

« Reply #33 on: June 15, 2014, 01:45:36 pm »

Queen’s castle for rent at £50k a weekend: Castle of Mey becomes first royal residence touted out to paying guests... at a royal price

Her late Majesty bought the 16th Century castle in 1952, while mourning her husband King George VI
    For £50,000 up to a dozen people can spend a long weekend, where Prince Charles is still a regular visitor
    On the dining room walls are landscapes painted by Prince Philip
    Guests can stay in Princess Margaret's bedroom but not the late Queen's
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2658110/Queens-castle-rent-50k-weekend-Castle-Mey-royal-residence-touted-paying-guests-royal-price.html#ixzz34i9bQhky

RoyalWatcher
Baroness

« Reply #34 on: June 15, 2014, 03:17:51 pm »

If I had the cash:  yeah, I'd like to stay there.

IMO, empty houses or empty castles, deteriorate when they aren't being used on a consistent basis.   What a lovely home.

sneeze
gossip insider

« Reply #35 on: June 18, 2014, 03:26:50 am »

I would definitely do this if I had 50k to throw around hahaha

Wonder why they're doing this now, though... need more money for the upkeep? Or like you said royalwatcher, they just need it to be used more to validate the costs of upkeep?
benign
Duchess

« Reply #36 on: June 18, 2014, 03:34:15 am »

^ me too and agree with RW. its good business sense and it will pay for the upkeep.

I wonder if Ammer hall is really for PW or would HM be renting it out for short term like weekend or a wedding..
Rosella
Duchess

« Reply #37 on: June 18, 2014, 04:01:43 am »

Castle Mey is very remote really, and is hardly used by members of the royal family except Charles on the odd occasion. I think its a good idea to try and get some money in for maintenance and repairs, actually.
YooperModerator
Super Moderator

« Reply #38 on: January 29, 2015, 09:57:04 am »

News and views about past and present royal and aristocratic residences.

\\\"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.\\\"  Thomas Jefferson
FrederickLouis
Baroness

« Reply #39 on: December 24, 2016, 03:47:26 am »

The Winter Palace of Imperial Russia   
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jv1UX_3WaEw       
 nighty nighty nighty nighty nighty

Really A Baron
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: