Royal Gossip
December 15, 2017, 10:25:47 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Your Favorite Royal Movies/TV Series  (Read 6880 times)
Duchess Georgiana
courtier

« on: March 20, 2011, 09:16:19 pm »

I have an extensive collection of Royal Movies and TV series. I love the Victorian Era, everything was so cute and romantic (except for Jack The Ripper  nervous of course). Back in 2001 the BBC aired a wonderful mini-series called 'Victoria and Albert', where Prince Albert was played by Jonathan Firth (Colin Firth's brother). You can watch the entire series on YouTube:

Part 1:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqVIUicUoq0

A movie that I love is 'Ever After' with Drew Barrymore. The guy who played the Prince was so good looking and charming.

I will continue to post my favorites as the thread progresses.
Alexandrine
Super Moderator

« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2011, 10:04:08 pm »

Ever After is my guilty pleasure, I even know the dialogues by heart  Embarrassed

I liked Romy Schneider Sissi's films and especially the one she did as Queen Victoria.

“Three things are to be looked to in a building: that it stand on the right spot, that it be securely founded, that it be successfully executed.” ~ Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Duchess Georgiana
courtier

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2011, 10:09:23 pm »

Ever After is my guilty pleasure, I even know the dialogues by heart  Embarrassed

I liked Romy Schneider Sissi's films and especially the one she did as Queen Victoria.

hello Alexandrine! You must have been reading my mind! I was just going to post that I love Romy Schneider as Sissy. Here is the series in German (with English subtitles):

Part 1:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2F25EHzOS9U&feature=related
Yooper
Princess

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2011, 11:43:59 pm »

The Lion in Winter
The Queen
The Man in the Iron Mask (fantasy, I know)
A Tale of Two Cities (1935)
The Prince and the Pauper (1937)
The King's Speech

\"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.\"  Thomas Jefferson
YooperModerator
Super Moderator

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2011, 10:25:52 am »

I like the Tudors TV-series,
Romy Schneider's Sissi series, LOVE them!!! sigh little girls dream and all...
Romy Schneider as Victoria I loved it! The one scene where Albert cut's up an antique chair to burn it because she's cold, is so.. flirt
I like the Elisabeth movies with Kate Blanchett, love the costumes and the great locations.
I saw The Queen with Helen Mirren but I'm not a fan, it was ok but I find it odd that they make a HM-movie while she's still alive! royalguard
The King's Speech was wow! Although personally it doesn't feel like a royal movie to me, ya know not enough pomp and circumstance! tehe but it's a lovely story that was told in a very nice way!

And that's it I believe, for royal movies on my part...oh no wait I forget one!
Robin Hood with Kevin Costner and Alan Rickman! King Richard Lionheart has like 2 lines in that movie! But they were very wise and important to the plot of course!  easter-lol
and I also saw the parody of that one: Men in Thighs, hilarious! laugh  laugh
Now I think I have them all!  tehe

A movie I would like to see is: The Other Boleyn Sister, is it any good? Anyone here knows?
I just love costume drama's...

\\\"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.\\\"  Thomas Jefferson
Dahlia
Baroness

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2011, 06:08:10 pm »

Ludwig II. with Helmut Berger, directed by Visconti!
Fernanda Nunes
Baroness

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2011, 11:50:41 pm »

I would like to see a book with Karlheinz Böhm, he did the role of Franz, Prince of Romy Schneider, he is still alive, he must have memories of scenes from the movie, it would be very interesting to take those memories of him while he is still alive. As for the movie Sissi is definitely my favorite, I believe that never existed in the movies and possibly never will be a movie as Sissi, is a film that was made post-war, won the generations and is still conquering generations. It was the grace that Romy Schneider lent character along with the sensitivity of Ernst Marischka resulted in this gorgeous piece of art that is this trilogy. I'm 27, I love this movie, I know of 60, 70 who love this movie. My father says that the day that this movie was released in cinema in Recife, Brazil, where he lived, he could never get a seat at the movies, all packed houses, he always watched the movie standing. It is one of brilliance, a delicacy in dealing with others, a wealth of detail, so much technology today with a no victory was achieved for many generations in a movie just like this movie has reached. The U.S. tried to use Romy Schneider was on a trip to her job that her boyfriend at the time, Alan Delon, decided to marry another woman, which brought her great depression. Then she started drinking, her first husband committed suicide, her son died and she was found dead six o'clock in the morning, her mother said she died with a broken heart syndrome, but everyone knows that she killed herself with drugs, she was very beautiful, but she was a very fragile too, like a porcelain doll, easily breakable. But even Disney has no managed to build a "fairy tale" so touching as Sissi.
http://ann-lauren.blogspot.com/2010/09/20th-cent-romy-schneider.html

Motto for the year 2017: "Saying with a loud voice, Have fear of God and give him glory; because the hour of his judging is come; and give worship to him who made heaven and earth and the sea and the fountains of water." (AP 14:7).
http://icmaranata.pt/index.php - Portugal www.igrejacristamaranata.org.br, www.icm.org.br, http://radiomaanaim.com.br/v1/ - Brazil
Dahlia
Baroness

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2011, 12:08:02 am »

http://www.amazon.de/Mein-Leben-Suchen-Finden-Autobiografie/dp/3899103831/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1301097936&sr=8-5

I don´t know if you can speak German, but there is a bio of Karlheinz Böhm. He reported for example that he was thankful for the Sissi movies, which realized his charity work because of the money.
Fernanda Nunes
Baroness

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2011, 12:41:15 am »

Ohhh thank you honey, I studied german, but I forgot almost everything, but I will search for this book, Brazil is not a very cultural country, has no book translated from Romy Schneider or Karlheinz Böhm. Thank you honey  flower

Motto for the year 2017: "Saying with a loud voice, Have fear of God and give him glory; because the hour of his judging is come; and give worship to him who made heaven and earth and the sea and the fountains of water." (AP 14:7).
http://icmaranata.pt/index.php - Portugal www.igrejacristamaranata.org.br, www.icm.org.br, http://radiomaanaim.com.br/v1/ - Brazil
Dahlia
Baroness

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2011, 02:12:29 pm »

You´re welcome  Hi
Gaeaskywalker
Baroness

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2011, 08:33:35 pm »

My favorite is acutally a musical: Sissy, the musical. Went three times to see it. Loved the story and the music.

Andre Rieu used Sissi in one of his concert here are some footage:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ec5BjIfHYDs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZWn7CRZ6Fo&feature=related (music from Sissy, the musical)
Duchess Georgiana
courtier

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2011, 01:14:22 am »

Gaeaskywalker, thank you for posting! I love Andre Rieu. He is amazing and his concerts are so magical! He did a Michael Jackson tribute that brought tears to my eyes.

Fernanda Nunes, thanks for the link to the blog (obrigado). Romy Schneider was so beautiful and regal, like a fairy tale Princess. I first saw Sissi when I was 14 years old. I've been to beautiful Austria twice and I thought of her when I visited Schönbrunn Palace in Vienna.  
« Last Edit: March 27, 2011, 01:17:19 am by Duchess Georgiana » Logged
Duchess Georgiana
courtier

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2011, 07:28:03 am »

A friend of mine sent me a YouTube link to the first part of the 'Sissi' miniseries that was aired in 2009. It's so beautiful, like a bona-fide BBC production. But it's all in Italian. Sissi seemed very insecure at the beginning, but she grew on me as the Empress of Austria. The Italian actress who played her did an excellent job. She even won a Romy Award in Austria back in 2010 for it. I highly recommend it (if you can understand Italian):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NeMcPfhE28

Duchess Georgiana
courtier

« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2011, 04:25:42 am »

Here is the same 'Sissi' miniseries in Spanish:

Part 1:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I044wtrGS9Q

I really really love it! I wish I were very rich to own an item that had belonged to the real Sissi (Empress Elisabeth)
Duchess Georgiana
courtier

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2011, 05:22:24 am »

My favorite Royal movies are:

Roman Holiday
Ever After

Also an Italian movie from the 1960's with Sophia Loren and Omar Shariff (C'era Una Volta; or 'Once Upon a Miracle' in English). I saw it for the first time when I was 14 years old and fell in love with it.
memyselfandroyals
Countess

Good and bad things return

« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2011, 11:56:53 pm »

Margot!

All my comments/posts are only assumptions, thoughts and belifs. I don't make affirmations about facts i don't know about.

royalfanPKLS
courtier

« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2012, 10:46:03 pm »

The Tudors, I haven't gotten into Borgias yet.

"Sometimes I think I was born backwards. You know, come out my mum the wrong way. I hear words go past me backwards. The people I should love, I *despise*. And the people I *despise*…”
Yooper
Princess

« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2012, 08:58:43 pm »

Just started the Borgias.  Does it get better?  On episode 3, and it's slow going, but it could be me.  Love Jeremy Irons and all of that, but I get the feeling this is 'introduce the characters' time and the story gets grittier.  Anybody seen it all the way through?

\"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.\"  Thomas Jefferson
Silver Swan Girl
royal watcher

« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2012, 11:06:28 pm »

The Queen
Victoria & Albert
The King's Speech
Virgin Queen
Grey Mare
Countess

« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2012, 12:24:48 am »

My favorite is the HBO mini-series Elizabeth I with Helen Mirren.  That series is one of the most accurate protrayals I have seen in awhile of Elizabeth I's later years as Queen. 

The historical inaccuracies in the two movies with Cate Blanchett made me cringe but it was written by Michael Hirst the same guy who wrote The Tudors so no surprise.  But, I am enjoying the Borgias simply because I know very little about their historical history.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: