Royal Gossip
April 20, 2019, 07:48:55 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 ... 11   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What book are you reading right now?  (Read 41052 times)
Yooper
Princess

« Reply #60 on: January 10, 2012, 11:48:07 pm »

Oh, Man!  Am I envious. To go back to the virgin days of not knowing every millisecond of Agatha's books...enjoy!!!!!  The Orient Express - WINNER!!!!!!  I totally am green with envy but glad for you and will keep mum.  winter

\"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.\"  Thomas Jefferson
Alexandrine
Super Moderator

« Reply #61 on: January 10, 2012, 11:52:37 pm »

What?!?!? You haven't read AC's books??!?!?!?  bignono

I remember reading And Then There Were None when I was twelve and not been able to sleep afterwards. But my favourite book of hers is not a crime novel but one about intrigue and romance.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 12:01:16 am by Alexandrine » Logged

“Three things are to be looked to in a building: that it stand on the right spot, that it be securely founded, that it be successfully executed.” ~ Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Yooper
Princess

« Reply #62 on: January 10, 2012, 11:58:52 pm »

And Then There Were None was my first Agatha Christie book and, you're right, it's a creeper.  Murder mysteries are like a box of candy to me.  I could read 'em night and day.  But AC is, hand's down, my personal fave.  And Columbo.

\"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.\"  Thomas Jefferson
Earth Angel
Countess

Can you imagine a time when the truth ran free ...

« Reply #63 on: January 11, 2012, 12:09:34 am »

Currently not reading a book per se ... just reading people, in a book or sorts, called LIFE. ...

"The searching-out and thorough investigation of truth ought to be the primary study of man." ~ Cicero
"The way to gain a good reputation, is to endeavor to be what you desire to appear" ~ Socrates
"During times of universal deceit telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act". ~ George Orwell
"On the road from the City of Skepticism, I had to pass through the Valley of Ambiguity". ~ Adam Smith

*All posts are my opinion, based on what I know to be true at the time of the post, unless otherwise specified. All intents and purposes are free; no ill will or maliciousness involved*
Contessa
courtier

« Reply #64 on: January 11, 2012, 03:18:11 am »

Quentins by Maeve Binchy
HC
Countess

« Reply #65 on: January 11, 2012, 06:57:02 pm »

I love reading Agatha Christie again and again. And her book about Mr. Harley Quin is also very good. Very mystic.
memyselfandroyals
Countess

Good and bad things return

« Reply #66 on: January 19, 2012, 08:06:53 pm »

Sun TZU - the art of war

All my comments/posts are only assumptions, thoughts and belifs. I don't make affirmations about facts i don't know about.

YooperModerator
Super Moderator

« Reply #67 on: January 19, 2012, 09:51:23 pm »

huh
Planning on going to war my dear?
That's not exactly a leisure read but some nice philosophy quotes can be found in there!
I'm done with both AC stories BTW lovely read, the orient express plot was cool: all together, I would have never figured it out! tehe
At the moment I'm not reading anything except my monthly royalty mag's  easter-lol
I'll pick up another AC pocket for the weekend I think  thumbsup

\\\"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.\\\"  Thomas Jefferson
Mada
Baroness

« Reply #68 on: January 20, 2012, 10:18:40 pm »

Anton Parks's The Chronicles of Girku

Even if you are in a minority of one. The truth is still the truth. An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody will see it. Mahatma Gandi
memyselfandroyals
Countess

« Reply #69 on: January 21, 2012, 08:01:54 pm »

akasha2411, my dear is a classic. It talks about war, but you can also associate to you. Right now, i need to focus to find a way to defend myself. And sometimes attack is the best defense. I am passing through a terrible phase of my life, btw.

All my comments/posts are only assumptions, thoughts and belifs. I don't make affirmations about facts i don't know about.

YooperModerator
Super Moderator

« Reply #70 on: January 21, 2012, 10:09:02 pm »

there

goodluck with that my dear!  thumbsup

\\\"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.\\\"  Thomas Jefferson
YooperModerator
Super Moderator

« Reply #71 on: January 23, 2012, 10:01:53 pm »

Just finished AC's "and then there were none"
What a weird story...the idea (revenge against ppl who killed and got away with it) is cool, but the ending....dontknow
reading now: AC's "cards on the table" The death of the host was just discovered by Mr Poirot.... thumbsup

memyselfandroyals
Countess

« Reply #72 on: January 23, 2012, 10:43:02 pm »

thanks for the support, akasha2411!

You are the best!

Yooper
Princess

« Reply #73 on: January 24, 2012, 12:37:58 am »

Inspector Lynley.  I know I'm supposed to love it, but I'm forcing myself through it.

^^Poirot.  My adorable Poirot.  Enjoy, Akasha!

Holding good thoughts and sending peace vibes for you, memyself.  And this. xmas_mousiekins  (A good fairy is always helpful)

memyselfandroyals
Countess

« Reply #74 on: January 25, 2012, 08:45:40 pm »

My dear Yooper! thanks! I love you all so much! I need and i am sure she 'll come to me ( you are an angel, did you know?)

Yooper
Princess

« Reply #75 on: January 25, 2012, 11:28:53 pm »

An angel? Many would gladly say otherwise, but that was gracious of you.  I'm considering your Art of War book m'self.  I've got some battles to wage on the homefront m'self.  Thanks for the reminder.  I read it years ago, but it's a must-read whenever faced with how to deal with a little thing called Life.

thumbsup

Still trudging through Lynley.  Come on!  Isn't he supposed to be interesting on PBS?huh!!!!  Not on paper.  Not yet, anyway.  Vewy fwustrating.

YooperModerator
Super Moderator

« Reply #76 on: January 26, 2012, 12:19:37 am »

Ah I finished "cards on the table"
AC has a way of messing with your mind
I thought I had it figured out pretty quick but no sir, last chappi was a surprise like alway's! thumbsup
Reading "after the funeral" now, they just murdered Cora  sly so the old man was murdered as well, I guess....unless...oh well I'll have to read to be sure I guess! easter-wink

Acornia
Countess

« Reply #77 on: January 26, 2012, 03:38:45 am »

Flappers and Philosophers  by F. Scott Fitzgerald.

Before that, I've tried reading Perdido Street Station by China Mieville (I'm trying to get into steampunk fiction) but I couldn't get past the first few pages.

well actually the book is a double crime combo thingy, second story is 'murder on the orient express'
I'm still reading 'the nile', at the moment so shht don't tell me the end! (haven't read any of AC's books up until now ...yes I know, it's a huge hole in my literature! Embarrassed)

I haven't read any AC books either!  Embarrassed Are all her books the stand-alone sort? I might read some of them one day, but I don't want a series or anything. I'm still a little burnt out from GRRM's series.
YooperModerator
Super Moderator

« Reply #78 on: January 26, 2012, 03:59:16 am »

Yup all of them are printed in pocket form so they are not that expensive (I paid like 10 bucks per book)
They stand alone it's not a serie or any thing, every book is a different murder to solve.
AC has two mayor characters that solve her mystery: old ms Marple and PI Hercule Poirot.
She published like 60 books with those two in the lead alone! (I don't think they ever worked on a 'case' together tough..)
She published nearly 80 mystery and crime novels over the years, many of them were turned into movies at one point or another.
And I believe the TV show murder she wrote was influenced by AC novels (love that show BTW!)
It's a light read and I do enjoy the books very much.
 thumbsup

Yooper
Princess

« Reply #79 on: January 26, 2012, 05:05:44 am »

Isn't The Mouse Trap still playing in London?  It's the longest running play ever, I believe, and one of AC's best.

I lovvvve Murder She Wrote.  I'll bet I could quote, verbatim, every line of the series, Akasha. 

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 ... 11   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: