Royal Gossip
June 27, 2017, 06:25:15 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 [10] 11   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What book are you reading right now?  (Read 30079 times)
Alexandrine
Super Moderator

« Reply #180 on: October 01, 2015, 04:07:57 pm »

Finished Furious love at last! I still enjoy Elizabeth Taylor but Richard Burton sounded like a total bore. Funny is that the book was done to help his image. Didn't work for me  bored3

“Three things are to be looked to in a building: that it stand on the right spot, that it be securely founded, that it be successfully executed.” ~ Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
YooperModerator
Super Moderator

« Reply #181 on: October 01, 2015, 05:05:03 pm »

^Other than Mike Todd, all paled next to Elizabeth, to me.  I've read that, in person, Richard Burton had an electricity that never transferred to many.  No clue, but I agree but enjoyed the book.

Am reading The Wright Brothers by David McCullough of John Adams fame.  I cannot recommend it highly enough.  It's not all technical about flight design but about their lives and overcoming a multitude of challenges.

\\\"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.\\\"  Thomas Jefferson
Mia1984
royal watcher

« Reply #182 on: October 01, 2015, 10:46:51 pm »

I am reading The Organized Mind. Interesting but a bit verbose. It is all about how our minds have a limited processing capacity and why multitasking doesn't work. It would have been great if it had advice and tips on how to a more organized mind!

A life that has not been subjected to criticism is a life not worth living- Socrates
Alexandrine
Super Moderator

« Reply #183 on: October 01, 2015, 10:50:32 pm »

Yes, I agree! Mike Todd seems the only one who was good for her both professionally and for herself. If he hadn't died I doubt Taylor would have divorced him or at least they would have lasted a long time.

I preferred the first part of the book it was more about Taylor but the second part it make it all seem like Burton was a lost lamb that Taylor had misdirected. Not that Liz was perfect but the book doesn't portray her as someone whining all the time like him. This is the reason I ended up bored with Burton.

Aren't they also making a film about the Wright brothers?

@Mia maybe you would like How the mind works by Pinker? Very thought provoking for me.

“Three things are to be looked to in a building: that it stand on the right spot, that it be securely founded, that it be successfully executed.” ~ Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
YooperModerator
Super Moderator

« Reply #184 on: October 01, 2015, 10:56:30 pm »

^Agree all the way around.  Oh, I hope they're making a movie about the Wright Brothers and fingers crossed they're using the book for a road map.  It's riveting. 

\\\"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.\\\"  Thomas Jefferson
Alexandrine
Super Moderator

« Reply #185 on: October 01, 2015, 11:01:42 pm »

In fact, Spielberg already has plans for a Wright Brothers project. Back in April, HBO announced it had picked up the rights to David McCollough‘s nonfiction tome The Wright Brothers, with the intention of turning it into a miniseries produced by Spielberg and Hanks’ Playtone Productions.

http://www.slashfilm.com/steven-spielberg-wright-brothers/

AnaBolena
Duchess

We Read To Know We Are Not Alone - C.S Lewis

« Reply #186 on: October 07, 2015, 02:28:56 pm »

'Gone Girl' and I loathed it. 

Live The Life You Were Meant To Live And Live Honestly.
YooperModerator
Super Moderator

« Reply #187 on: October 07, 2015, 03:52:34 pm »

^^Thank yew!!!

^I couldn't make it through and have no idea where the hype comes from on this really bad book so thanks for validating that judgment.

Alexandrine
Super Moderator

« Reply #188 on: October 07, 2015, 06:49:12 pm »

Is it so bad? I loved the film but I didn't want spoilers and for the first time in my life I avoided the book until I watched the the film.

I'm reading now the Dresden files. It's a supernatural/fantasy series about a wizard that works with the police. The idea is good but the characters are not well developed and some mysteries are not interesting enough. Though I'm still on the 3rd book and will continue the series to see how it goes.

YooperModerator
Super Moderator

« Reply #189 on: October 07, 2015, 07:14:34 pm »

^I didn't see the movie, Alex, so I'm no help at all there but the book itself, for me, was like tap dancing in quicksand and then I skipped to the end which isn't an ending at all.  What a disaster.  The plot lines stop for no reason, the characters are so hateful and even the author, I think, said she got stuck somewhere in the book and just sort of wandered out to the finish.  It read that way to me anyhow.  I requested my money back and got it.

Alexandrine
Super Moderator

« Reply #190 on: October 08, 2015, 04:15:46 pm »

^SPOILER: the film changed the ending. So you may like it better, though it's a weird ending. I think you won't like it either.

But for me what was entertaining was that the female MC was hateful. It was refreshing to see that kind of character. I also liked how the actress portrayed her. And Affleck was perfect as husband. Even the director mentions how suspicious it is that he is a natural at cheating. Then his divorced happened  :laugh

Alexandrine
Super Moderator

« Reply #191 on: November 11, 2015, 11:52:53 pm »

Reading through Georgette Heyer books. I prefer Austen but Heyer is a nice substitute though not all her books are good. Some are terrible bores.

Joanna
gossip insider

Isabella of Portugal, Holy Roman Empress

« Reply #192 on: March 04, 2016, 10:12:05 pm »

I'm reading Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn and I'm surprised by how I like to feel constantly in the dark about the characters.
Alexandrine
Super Moderator

« Reply #193 on: March 05, 2016, 11:58:25 pm »

War and Peace. I still don't know who is the main character even when I've already read 300 pages or so. Also sometimes it is too similar to a soap opera but with the war in the middle. Although the writing is very good in some parts even when I'm reading a translation, he can make a war and battles interesting and making you experience what a normal solider would have.

YooperModerator
Super Moderator

« Reply #194 on: March 06, 2016, 12:22:24 am »

^Boy, I hear ya.  I slugged through War and Peace and finished it but had to take notes to keep track of everybody and then one person has about four different versions of their name.  But, it is a great story of the Napoleonic wars.  I've heard that the Russian version is much much better.

Alexandrine
Super Moderator

« Reply #195 on: March 06, 2016, 12:35:17 am »

laugh I can understand that as there are so many characters especially in the war parts of the story.

Also some of the characters are so idiotic that I have to stop reading sometimes, their actions make me feel anxious  tehe

Joanna
gossip insider

Isabella of Portugal, Holy Roman Empress

« Reply #196 on: March 06, 2016, 11:01:21 am »

^ I totally agree. It was confusing to me too, in the beggining I had to check who the characters were because of what you've mentioned, several names for the same character. Embarrassed When I finished reading, it became one of my favorite books. The russian version must be wonderful.
deGuernsey
Baroness

« Reply #197 on: September 30, 2016, 09:20:30 pm »

The idiot's guide to criminal investigation - truth! king
deGuernsey
Baroness

« Reply #198 on: December 02, 2016, 08:02:15 pm »

The photographers handbook
YooperModerator
Super Moderator

« Reply #199 on: December 02, 2016, 08:47:21 pm »

Marie Antoinette's Head:  The Royal Hairdresser

Marie Antoinette’s Head: The Royal Hairdresser, The Queen, and the Revolution charts the rise of Léonard Autie from humble origins as a country barber in the south of France to the inventor of the Pouf and premier hairdresser to Queen Marie-Antoinette.
By unearthing a variety of sources from the 18th and 19th centuries, including memoirs (including Léonard’s own), court documents, and archived periodicals the author, French History professor and expert Will Bashor, tells Autie’s mostly unknown story.

Fabulous and fun read.

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 [10] 11   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: