Royal Gossip
May 25, 2019, 10:35:40 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 [9] 10 11   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What book are you reading right now?  (Read 41658 times)
Yooper
Princess

« Reply #160 on: December 24, 2013, 02:00:39 am »

^^^Sharon Osborne's bio - forgot about that one.  Thanks, Akasha!  Will try that.

I have several books going but am focusing on A Christmas Carol, Charles Dickens.  That book is so much more than any movie ever envisioned.  I try to read it every year.

And the Gift of the Magi - O'Henry Stories

Killing Jesus, Sycamore Row and for fun, Nothing Stays in Vegas

\"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.\"  Thomas Jefferson
HC
Countess

« Reply #161 on: December 24, 2013, 12:34:56 pm »

Alexandrine,
I will absolutely read tea by Okakura, sounds interesting  Hi

Yooper,
I love Charles Dickens. I've found Edwind Droods Mysterium. But I haven't read it yet, because the library books has to be read first  tehe
YooperModerator
Super Moderator

« Reply #162 on: December 26, 2013, 06:08:06 pm »

Just finished with Ozzy's bio to see hise side of the story.
Still bat sh*tcrazy life but man the story is so hilariuos l swear that guy should just get into comedy!  laugh
The  thing is that he doesn't always wants to be funny but dang I nearly pissed my pants once or twice because of how he tells it, ya know....
I never saw one episode of 'the Osbournes' back then but after reading this I'm sooo gonna look on you tube for some clips. tehe

\\\"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.\\\"  Thomas Jefferson
Vesper
Countess

« Reply #163 on: February 15, 2014, 10:29:48 pm »

Has anyone read The Kite Runner and A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini? I just loved his books, ATSS, in particular is one of my favorite, now I just started reading his latest, And The Mountains Echoed, and I'm full of anticipation.  He is a great writer.
Alexandrine
Super Moderator

« Reply #164 on: July 31, 2014, 10:58:46 pm »

^ I've read good reviews but I'm a bit scared that they are overhyped, are they really good?

I'm going to reread Harry Potter and I'm scared that I won't like them. They are such a big part of my teenage years that not liking them can be a big impact. (I'm such a nerd  Embarrassed ) But I've been rereading a couple of books I liked years ago and now they seemed so badly written.

“Three things are to be looked to in a building: that it stand on the right spot, that it be securely founded, that it be successfully executed.” ~ Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
YooperModerator
Super Moderator

« Reply #165 on: August 01, 2014, 03:25:52 am »

^I'm re-reading, too, because I'm just so unimpressed with what's out there that's newly released for some reason.  So, it's Hollywood by Garson Kanin (I cannot recommend this book enough) and The Moon's A Balloon by David Niven.  Very restful before-bed books, I think. 

Oh, and a real beaut that's from the memoirs of Marie Antoinette's hairdresser Leonard.  Riveting but can't remember the name.  Super good fluff however inaccurate or what have you.  For instance, I was unaware that hair salons as we know them were not created until this period.  At least not in France.  Your maid, sister, mother or whomever did your hair.  Leonard & bros changed that, along with Marie A. and it's sprinkled with just the right amount of 'being there'.

As for H Potter, all I can say is that my son re-read it and was disappointed but I think that's due to the fact that it's not 'new' anymore, the story has been warped a bit by being put on the screen so the initial thrill is gone.  But, maybe it'll be better for you, Alex.  Hope so! 

\\\"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.\\\"  Thomas Jefferson
Pense
courtier

« Reply #166 on: August 03, 2014, 09:42:08 pm »

Slogging through "Queen's House - A Social History of Buckingham Palace" by Edna Healey
Half the time I'm not sure if it's about the people that have occupied it or the people that worked on it.
Was surprised to read that there was/is a great deal of shoddy workmanship in the expanded building.
Guess no one is immune from being defrauded by reno contractors.
---
In preparation for the fall semester, a niece was assigned a small (and for her, boring) book about the settlement of Massachusetts. The balance of the assignment required a paper about the time period using other sources. After hearing much complaining, I recommended she read "The Wordy Shipmates" by Sarah Vowell. The writing style is unconventional (no chapters). Her book shows the differences between the Mayflower Puritans and Bay Colony Puritans. Not the sanitized Thanksgiving version of the 17th century settlements. Since niece wanted to discuss the book, I had to read it again. Sarah is a commentator for NPR. I read for awhile, set it aside, and then picked it up and read a little more. I liked her comparison's with more modern history. So did my niece.
---
Finished reading "The Fall of the House of Dixie - The Civil War and the Social Revolution That Transformed the South" by Bruce Levine. Was recommended to me when I told someone that I wasn't going to read yet another US Civil War novel that was a tour of battlefields and endless military strategy opinions. This book is not one of those kinds of books. The South controlled the 3 branches of US govt for most of the years until the Civil War. This book is about the economic and social effects of the Southern aristocracy before and during the war using diaries, news accounts. The books make very clear the sharp differences between the North and South attitudes towards fellow citizens and residents.
---
All of the above books are published as e-books, which is the format I read them in.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2014, 09:44:02 pm by Pense » Logged
Alexandrine
Super Moderator

« Reply #167 on: August 03, 2014, 10:56:18 pm »

^I'm re-reading, too, because I'm just so unimpressed with what's out there that's newly released for some reason.  So, it's Hollywood by Garson Kanin (I cannot recommend this book enough) and The Moon's A Balloon by David Niven.  Very restful before-bed books, I think. 

Oh, and a real beaut that's from the memoirs of Marie Antoinette's hairdresser Leonard.  Riveting but can't remember the name.  Super good fluff however inaccurate or what have you.  For instance, I was unaware that hair salons as we know them were not created until this period.  At least not in France.  Your maid, sister, mother or whomever did your hair.  Leonard & bros changed that, along with Marie A. and it's sprinkled with just the right amount of 'being there'.

As for H Potter, all I can say is that my son re-read it and was disappointed but I think that's due to the fact that it's not 'new' anymore, the story has been warped a bit by being put on the screen so the initial thrill is gone.  But, maybe it'll be better for you, Alex.  Hope so! 

I haven't finished Marie Antoinette by Fraser because the story is so tragic, that I cannot move on. But the book was good in case you are interested in a more serious bio of Queen MA. Though the book by the hairdresser sounds interesting. There is also a book about how luxury started on the french royal court and that one was really good however I do not remember the name. If you are interested I could look it up.

Harry Potter is being ok. I am already on the 5th book. The first three ones are really fun although I can know see that the writing is a bit lame and there are some points I didn't notice before that I do not like.

“Three things are to be looked to in a building: that it stand on the right spot, that it be securely founded, that it be successfully executed.” ~ Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
cate1949
Princess

« Reply #168 on: August 04, 2014, 03:24:16 am »

Pense - you just added a few more books to my list of "to be read".  Thanks - the one on the puritans sounds especially good.  I've read some very good books on the politico-social south - I read a very original one were the author had combed through land ownership records and agricultural sales records.  His assertion was that the image of a southern culture defined by wealthy planters was inaccurate - rather that it was more like Tobacco Row - small holders with no more than three slaves were the majority.  Mostly livestock raising not cotton.

I am reading a couple of books now - the latest Bernard Cornwall in the Saxon Tales and a very good book on WWI - Sleepwalkers.
terrajoule
Baroness

Space. The final frontier...

« Reply #169 on: August 22, 2014, 12:23:02 am »

1.) The Psychological Evaluation of Children's Human Figure Drawings
2.) Feminine Psychology by Karen Horney MD.
Mostly textbooks... study

I am a collection of dismantled almosts. -Anne Sexton, from A Self-Portrait In Letters
Pense
courtier

« Reply #170 on: November 02, 2014, 12:42:54 am »

Borrowed 3 e-books that the librarian recommended and next time I will look for the other librarian for recommendations. One book I slogged through because I was intrigued by the bits of information that I had not read elsewhere about the San Francisco earthquake. The other two books never made it past the second chapter.

Luckily, read/reading two more books with better results. Was asked by a teacher friend to read a YA book and give her a 3-line synopsis as well as any heads-up about iffy character situations. Synopsis: Priest and girlfriend go kayaking and whale plays with the kayak. That night priest begins to hallucinate and hear voices. The lives of many living things depend on his determination to find the source. There were some references to bad guys wanting to make advances to priest's girlfriend but were always thwarted. "Exodus 2022" By Kenneth G Bennett. It was a good quick read with an interesting ending - suitable for sequels.

Current read is more interesting. "The Secret Rooms: A True Story of a Haunted Castle, a Plotting Duchess, and a Family Secret" by Catherine Bailey is about the 9th Duke of Rutland. His mother was Violet Manners; one of his sisters is Diana Manners (Lady Diana Cooper). The 9th Duke was obsessed with preserving the family papers but destroyed certain papers pertaining to his life. The book is about filling in the missing links. Of necessity, it also describes parts of aristo society at the time which is late 19th to middle 20th century. I had not intended to read about the 9th Duke. I was actually looking for a book about place names that are not pronounced as they are spelled in English. For instance, Worcester and Gloucestershire. Belvoir cracked me up. I had to look up its history -- and then I found the book.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2014, 12:51:18 am by Pense » Logged
YooperModerator
Super Moderator

« Reply #171 on: November 02, 2014, 04:03:45 am »

Re-visiting Crime and Punishment.  One of my favorites.

HC
Countess

« Reply #172 on: November 02, 2014, 03:06:23 pm »

Camus the plague
KGap
courtier

« Reply #173 on: November 22, 2014, 05:29:36 pm »

I am reading The Fault in Our Stars keeping the tissues close by.
KGap
courtier

« Reply #174 on: November 30, 2014, 06:42:38 am »

I have just started to read gone girl, Has anyone else read it?
terrajoule
Baroness

Space. The final frontier...

« Reply #175 on: March 11, 2015, 09:17:26 pm »

Genealogy. An ancestor by the name of Bassingbourne  easter-lol Throckmorton  and a Count Louis DeMas from France.  bored3

I am a collection of dismantled almosts. -Anne Sexton, from A Self-Portrait In Letters
YooperModerator
Super Moderator

« Reply #176 on: March 12, 2015, 12:25:21 am »

I'm late getting to it but Girl On The Train by Paula Hawkins.  Riveting.  Hitchcock would've been all over it.

Countess of Holland
Duchess

« Reply #177 on: March 12, 2015, 10:46:26 am »

I am reading 'A narrow road to the deep north'..a great read. It is a novel that deals with the thousands of men (POW's) who were forced to work on the Birma Railway by the Japanese occupier during WW II.
A good read and the author received the Man Booker Prize for the book last year...well deserved.
BTW Author is Richard Flanagan, he is an Australian.
HennyPenny
gossip insider

« Reply #178 on: March 12, 2015, 10:51:32 pm »

Im reading Patricia Briggs "Dead heat"
AnaBolena
Duchess

We Read To Know We Are Not Alone - C.S Lewis

« Reply #179 on: March 16, 2015, 12:50:41 am »

Cancer Ward by Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn.

“Without music, life would be a mistake.”
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 [9] 10 11   Go Up
  Print