Royal Gossip
April 21, 2019, 09:45:18 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Most expensive security event in history: Royal wedding cost rises to £20m  (Read 4725 times)
Nighthawk
Princess

« on: March 06, 2011, 09:03:43 pm »

Most expensive security event in history: Royal wedding cost rises to £20m as police earn double time for working bank holiday
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1363482/Royal-wedding-cost-rises-20m-police-earn-double-time-working-bank-holiday.html#ixzz1Fr6i4zPk
Varya
Super Moderator

« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2011, 10:48:47 pm »

The horrible thing is the taxpayers are expected to cover the cost, miss Middldtrash doesn't care AT ALL as long as she can "transition" into a princess. Brat.

Quotes about Waity/Waste-y Katie:
On Kate's so called career and work ethic; a coworker from Jigsaw when Kate was working said this: "A fellow staff member said: "Kate is a nice enough girl but she was never what you might call committed to the job.She never worked full-time and appeared to take an inordinate amount of time off to go jetting round the world with her boyfriend."
mousiekins
Super Moderator

Harryite #2

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2011, 10:53:18 pm »

Everyone is paying for the wedding other then the couple themselves.

Spitfire
Countess

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2011, 10:25:23 am »

And look at the comments!  This is one very unpopular Royal wedding: a £20m security cost is nothing short of disgraceful, especially when more important and vital areas of British life are being pared to the bone.  This wedding should have taken place at Windsor where the security bill would have been a lot less.  But, of course, the Middletons must have their moments of triumph as they walk down the aisle at Westminster Abbey and wave to the crowds (as if!) from the BP balcony.  Such arrogant and selfish actions might well have repercussions that they did not imagine.

The ghost of Frances Winchcombe is finding a new house to haunt.  She has reportedly said: "Carole Middleton scares me to death..."
June
Duchess

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2011, 10:40:10 am »

I really feel for the UK taxpayer.  nomorekate

My father is a rabid monarchist, a very kind and well-mannered man, who would never dream of criticising Waity. But even he is LIVID about our REPUBLICAN PM and her de-facto husband, the GG and her husband, having a lavish trip on the taxpayer dollar for this private shindig. It's hypocrisy at its worst. bignono
Spitfire
Countess

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2011, 11:13:50 am »

Thanks, June!  I am more and more disgusted by this whole production which that stupid pair have the nerve to call the peoples' wedding. The only link to the people is the fact that we are picking up the bill for it!  screaming

The ghost of Frances Winchcombe is finding a new house to haunt.  She has reportedly said: "Carole Middleton scares me to death..."
Annie
royal watcher

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2011, 11:53:50 am »

This Royal Wedding is not the most expensivesecurity event in history.  That is a lie.  Forthcoming Cricket World Cup is likely to    cost $67 million.

The Olympics in 2012 will cost us British tax payers in security costs approx £757 million with an extra £363 million put aside in case of a major security incident  No country has EVER made a profit out of the Olympic games.

True Brit
Duchess

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2011, 11:57:41 am »

Hi all - yes Spitfire those comments - wow! Usually someone will say just a few moaners but this anger is real. It is all backfiring in spectaculoar fashion. Sky News had a story about street parties "to sweep the nation" or some such rubbish. It seems it's possibly 2,000 and one woman they spoke to wanted the road closing down for a party of just ten people. WE have a population of 66 million in the UK living in 66 cities and something like £18,500 towns and villages so this pathetic 2,000 is not even one party per place.

Had they gone with the quiet wedding at Windsor (like Chas and Cams) they would, by now, possibly be basking in a pleasant haze of modest popularity. As Spitfire says this is all for the Middleton's delusions of grandeur. The release of a few family snaps this morning won't help ease matters - the public was indifferent to this wedding now it's getting hostile.

An aside but sort of on topic - with the news Elizabeth Anson has been brought in to oversee the arrangements, I am reading this as it's an utter shambles, PW & WK couldn't organise a pee-up in a brewery (as we say over here). It seems the "people's wedding" has taken a nose dive and there are no rock concerts or such and the guest list is total muck up.

They should have listened to us on this forum - we've had the measure of things all along.

" Kate, Pippa and Carole Middleton seen at Manolo Blahnik today.. overheard asking if they carried shoes for cloven hooves. "
June
Duchess

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2011, 11:59:40 am »

Thank you, Hale, for the perspective.  thankyou

I can also state that NSW was left with a lot of debt after the 2000 Olympics - it was a flop in monetary terms, and it also pushed up house prices, caused a lot of overseas investment, but that did not equate to riches for residents.

I guess it also depends on the return on investment, or net cost/profit - it's only one side of the equation to state gross cost.

Spitfire: I totally agree!  thumbsup
True Brit
Duchess

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2011, 12:01:14 pm »

Yes Hale those costs are ahead and you are quite correct about the Olympics not only has anyone ever made a profit from them they always seem to have brought the host nation to its knees - look at Greece.

I also think the £20 million is the tip of the iceberg as there will be other costs that will be indirectly be part of the final bill - health service costs; policing across the rest of the country if there are events; public transport; local councils' clean up bills - this is going to be a biggie. A very big biggie.

" Kate, Pippa and Carole Middleton seen at Manolo Blahnik today.. overheard asking if they carried shoes for cloven hooves. "
Spitfire
Countess

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2011, 12:13:03 pm »

Please don't get me started on the cost of those frigging Olympics!!!  As a daily Tube traveller, I am really looking forward to the crowds, the disruption, the Aslef/RMT planned strikes... screaming 

Annie
royal watcher

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2011, 12:17:21 pm »

Spitfire & True Brit, totally agree.  My hubby and I are thinking of going on holiday in order to avoid the Olympics and the pressure it will put on the tubes.

Forgot to post this with my previous comments:  The South African government has budgeted $123 million for security for the World Cup.

Am trying to find out what the final costs for the World Cup were.  Governments always underestimate. 
Spitfire
Countess

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2011, 12:21:33 pm »

Thanks, Hale!  I work in Whitehall and I believe that the parade ground at Horse Guards is going to be turned in the beach volley-ball arena - which means that I won't see much of my male colleagues in the office.  I'm hoping, in vain, that we will be given the time off during the duration of the Olympics.  I remain very fearful about the security aspects of these Games and would prefer not to be in central London.

June
Duchess

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2011, 12:32:08 pm »

I escaped the Sydney Olympics by moving interstate.
Spitfire
Countess

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2011, 01:14:41 pm »

Good idea!  As usual in the UK, no forward thought was given to the thousands of commuters who will have to come into London on a daily basis for their work.  Some clot even suggested that we don't use the Tube and find alternative methods of transport!  Sorry, off topic, but, honestly!!!!

Mada
Baroness

« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2011, 01:23:49 pm »

Hello Hale - Nice to read you again !
I understand the cost comparisons BUT while those events like the Olympics are a state/nation event, the royal wedding was said it was not.

The decency would have been to do a low-key wedding somewhere and share the nice moments on TV just like what happened when Charles and Camilla got married or PW's cousin married with Autumn.

That Royal PR event is a waste of money for tax payers and that is no matter it cost less than the Olympics. 

Even if you are in a minority of one. The truth is still the truth. An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody will see it. Mahatma Gandi
Annie
royal watcher

« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2011, 01:58:03 pm »

Mada, I agree with you.  I truly believe it would have struck the right note to keep the wedding low key and have it performed at Windsor. 

Of course it's not the first time we've had a royal wedding in the midst of a recession.  Princess Anne's wedding was in the middle of a fierce miners strike which forced the government to announce a 3 day working week shortly after that wedding.  Charles & Di's wedding was also during a miners strike plus in the same year we had the Toxteth riots.  However, the difference between those weddings and this one is that PA's and C&D's wedding came during the middle of the recession consequently, both weddings acted as a moral boost when we all desperately needed it.  W&K's wedding is to take place during the beginnings stage of a recession.  I'm wondering if this will be the kind of moral boost that is hoped for? 

Of course I could be wrong about all of this, but we shall have to wait and see on the day itself and the afterwards.
mousiekins
Super Moderator

Harryite #2

« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2011, 02:00:44 pm »

One of the annoying things is that the Royal PR machine keeps on saying " we want to keep the wedding in keeping with the struggle we are in as a country " and " we want a private family wedding" or " it will be modest".

What we are seeing is everything but. They cannot keep saying those things while continually putting the tab up for the people to pay.

June
Duchess

« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2011, 02:12:03 pm »

Exactly, mousie.  thumbsup

Two other things: I find it futile to compare other big events to this royal wedding. Firstly, the rate of return on the Olympics will eclipse this royal wedding, so the initial outlay for it is irrelevant for comparison purposes. The global attraction of the Olympics is in another league compared to a royal wedding these days. Hale, you stated that yourself, on numerous occasions over at the other board.  flower

Secondly, to compare this royal wedding to others in times of economic downturns is also futile, by reason of the world being an entirely different place. Britain, under the Thatcher gvt, was one of the first governments to aggressively pursue the user-pays, capitalist economy over the welfare state. She led the charge, and it seems, it has set precedence ever since - judging by the comments I read.

Edit to add: Thatcher held power in the 1980s, with her halcyon days from the mid to late 80s - well after C & D's wedding, or any of the others mentioned. So, the structure of the British economy was turned on its head; as was the Australian economy actually, in like manner, under the Hawke-Keating Gvt, during the same period.

Was Britain late to be impacted via the economic downturn?  easter-think

Still, it's always free to dream on ...  hall-whistle
« Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 02:20:30 pm by June » Logged
mousiekins
Super Moderator

Harryite #2

« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2011, 04:06:44 pm »

Britain was not late to be impacted by the recession. We have been in a recession for quite a while now and are about to have another dip.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: