Royal Gossip
December 15, 2017, 04:09:40 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 [7]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Duke & Duchess of Windsor  (Read 19172 times)
cate1949
Princess

« Reply #120 on: December 17, 2016, 05:28:55 am »

seriously - Henry chopped the heads off some of his wives and the royals still marched on - so while it is tragic that George V could not save his cousins - I rather doubt they are cursed with enemies because of that

Wasn't the son of Edward VII suspected of being Jack the Ripper?  LOL - all sorts of scandals they have survived

seems more like they are their own worst enemies!
YooperModerator
Super Moderator

« Reply #121 on: December 17, 2016, 05:37:29 am »

The Brits aren't  the masters of murder mysteries for nothin', that's for sure.  Lots of blood stained rocks around and I still get startled whenever I see these aristocrat's weddings and the bride is leaning on a tombstone somewhere.

Mea culpa, back on topic, please.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2016, 05:39:10 am by YooperModerator » Logged

\\\"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.\\\"  Thomas Jefferson
meememe
Duchess

« Reply #122 on: December 17, 2016, 06:01:13 am »

seriously - Henry chopped the heads off some of his wives and the royals still marched on - so while it is tragic that George V could not save his cousins - I rather doubt they are cursed with enemies because of that

Wasn't the son of Edward VII suspected of being Jack the Ripper?  LOL - all sorts of scandals they have survived

seems more like they are their own worst enemies!

There was some theory about Albert Victor being Jack the Ripper but the CC and other official documents from the time show him clearly at Balmoral when two or three of the murders took place.
Rosella
Duchess

« Reply #123 on: December 17, 2016, 06:37:31 am »

Every Royal family in Europe has had terrific scandals, womanising, illegitimate children, strange incidents. In the Netherlands Prince Bernhard survived a huge corruption scandal, earlier Queen Emma, Queen Wilhelmina's mother, was suspected of foisting another man's child (Wilhelmina)  onto her very elderly husband, King Wilhelm.

In Spain there was the flagrant infidelity of King Alfonzo and in the present day, the trial for corrupt business activities of the infanta Cristina, for example. King Carl Gustav of Sweden has been outed as a philanderer and customer of shady clubs. His father, Gustav Adolf, died in a plane crash with his suspected mistress on board. King Albert and Queen Paola of Belgium were accused of leaving their children at home at Christmas while they spent time with respective lovers. And so on and so on.

So every Royal family has its scandals. It just so happens that the Windsors are the best known and famous family in the world and have been for the past two centuries. So the spotlight is on them 1000% more that on other dynasties.
Kuei Fei
Princess

« Reply #124 on: December 17, 2016, 01:39:41 pm »

Thing is, that Henry VIII did what he did because he NEEDED a son and didn't want his country subject to the dynastic wars that ripped England apart so bloodily and his father only had the crown via conquest, not lineal descent. A son born in wedlock. Obviously he went about it the wrong way, by marrying all the wrong women, but I can see why he did what he did.

The Duke and Duchess of Windsor, I truly believe that it would have been a dazzling chance to bind the US and UK together prominently and I am certain that if not for the close minded views of the society she lived in, the Duchess would have not been so excoriated.

To receive regular news, go to "@gossippsychotic" to get updates from various other gossip websites such as "Downtown Chatter" or "Royal Gossip Psychotic" and end up reading all about all sorts of peccadilloes.
Alexandrine
Super Moderator

« Reply #125 on: December 17, 2016, 04:20:56 pm »

Ehhh Wallis was really close to the nazis. And empire britain was not really interested pampering the US. So I do not see how Wallis could be an asset in any way.

“Three things are to be looked to in a building: that it stand on the right spot, that it be securely founded, that it be successfully executed.” ~ Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
meememe
Duchess

« Reply #126 on: December 18, 2016, 02:18:59 am »

Wallis was the excuse. The government were going to get rid of Edward one way or another. That decision had virtually been made by the middle of 1936 - when it became clear that he wasn't up to the job and the government had already decided to withhold documents from him as they couldn't trust him with top secret information.
leogirl
Duchess

« Reply #127 on: December 18, 2016, 03:04:20 am »

I heard there were rumours of him being a Nazi sympathizer, and also him being loud and opinionated when he was supposed to be neutral.
Fly on the wall
Princess

Lady of Threads

« Reply #128 on: November 15, 2017, 01:11:41 pm »

@RoyalReporter

A judge has granted permission for the will of the late Duke of Windsor - Edward VIII - to be unsealed and a copy given to the Queen's assistant archivist Oliver Urquhart Irvine.
The Royal Archives say they want a copy of Edward VIII's will to fill a gap in their records and to identify the copyright owners in his literary works.

NEVER *despise* correction,for those who correct you ,truly LOVE you .They are willing to displease you and possibly lose your friendship ,rather than see you destroyed. Those who *despise* you ,on the other hand ,will allow you to FAIL...because what do they care ?

Every praise is not good and every criticism is not evil..!
Kuei Fei
Princess

« Reply #129 on: November 19, 2017, 04:34:36 pm »

Wallis was the excuse. The government were going to get rid of Edward one way or another. That decision had virtually been made by the middle of 1936 - when it became clear that he wasn't up to the job and the government had already decided to withhold documents from him as they couldn't trust him with top secret information.

Too bad, Wallis didn't deserve to be blamed.

To receive regular news, go to "@gossippsychotic" to get updates from various other gossip websites such as "Downtown Chatter" or "Royal Gossip Psychotic" and end up reading all about all sorts of peccadilloes.
india
Princess

« Reply #130 on: November 19, 2017, 05:37:15 pm »

^If the monarchy is still around, they may have to do that to The Idiot Prince William. He definitely is not up to the job.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 [7]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: