Royal Gossip
August 16, 2018, 08:51:11 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Duke & Duchess of Windsor  (Read 24302 times)
serene grace
Princess

Appointed Moderator

« Reply #80 on: September 14, 2013, 02:59:00 pm »

In the movie The King's Speech, it's implied in portions of the film, that Winston Churchill, the Powers that be in the government, some of the Royals behind the scenes and the Royal Courtier's, felt Edward was not really up to the job of King, that he was going to end up being a nightmare for the British Monarchy in the long run and they used the Wallis situation to get rid of him.

[/URL]
Snokitty
Princess

« Reply #81 on: September 14, 2013, 03:32:51 pm »

Letters have been found that indicate the Queen Mother was part of the planning. She blamed Edward her whole life for her husbands early death that she felt was caused from being King and she knew very well that she helped campaign to get rid of Edward and install Bertie.
HC
Countess

« Reply #82 on: September 14, 2013, 05:02:29 pm »

Edward was pro nazi also many years after the war.

He had to be remowed. From the throne and the country.
RoyalWatcher
Baroness

« Reply #83 on: September 15, 2013, 12:55:23 am »

Oh, I agree...the Duke of Windsor had to be removed from power........

its just too bad that they didn't retire the entire royal family at the same time.  Besides sucking off the taxpayers, what exactly do they bring to England?  Please don't tell me tourists, since during the tourist high season, the queen bucks off to Scottland to relax at her country estate.
Kuei Fei
Princess

« Reply #84 on: September 15, 2013, 01:07:54 am »

They didn't get rid of the monarchy apparently because the monarchy had a huge stranglehold on the mind of the nation and fr some reason, viewed royals as being the only types that had the time and money to donate to charities and represent the nation as some sort of ambassador.

As for sucking off of the taxpayers, well, I have no idea how on earth the public lets them do it.

To receive regular news, go to "@gossippsychotic" to get updates from various other gossip websites such as "Downtown Chatter" or "Royal Gossip Psychotic" and end up reading all about all sorts of peccadilloes.
india
Princess

« Reply #85 on: September 15, 2013, 12:55:46 pm »

It is amazing to me that this RF is still around. They have done so many terrible things and they just keep on getting away with it at the British taxpayers expense. They control the media there. Maybe with the advent of the Internet, more of their heinous behavior will be exposed and they will be dealt with in time.
Kuei Fei
Princess

« Reply #86 on: September 15, 2013, 02:10:54 pm »

I'll never understand why the exile, why Edward couldn't just live as a family member even if he wasn't reigning as king. He was already out of the succession and the public and government would never have allowed him to try for the throne again. As far as I can see, he was effectively neutered.

To receive regular news, go to "@gossippsychotic" to get updates from various other gossip websites such as "Downtown Chatter" or "Royal Gossip Psychotic" and end up reading all about all sorts of peccadilloes.
HC
Countess

« Reply #87 on: September 15, 2013, 03:07:22 pm »

I watched a documentary where it was said that Edward apparently had been not only meeting with Hitler but perhaps also had shared informations. I would think Edward should have been met with legal actions after the war. So the exile was the best solution to everyone.
True Brit
Duchess

« Reply #88 on: September 15, 2013, 03:16:53 pm »

^ There's also this story about the Duke of Kent and bear with me as I only know the bare bones of it but a growing number of commentators are claiming the plane he was travelling in was deliberately downed and he was killed to stop him communicating between the Nazis and the Duke of Windsor.

There was allegedly a plan to install DoW as a puppet ruler once the King and family had evacuated to Canada in exile. It is confirmed that a plane was kept on constant alert ready to fly the RF out of the country.

Also I believe the documents on this are subject to a 100 year embargo unlike most documents which have 50 years. Further it is the reason that Sir Anthony Blunt made secret missions to Germany (I think) during the war to bring back correspondence between DoW and DoK and the Nazis. Which is why he was never prosecuted when he was revealed as a Soviet spy in the 1970s.

It all is supposed to have something to do with Rudolph Hess who was alleged to have also been on the Duke of Kent's plane and was killed and an imposter kept in Spandau prison all those years.

Yes sounds like the Man in the Iron Mask. Sorry if this sounds jumbled - which it is but it's just bits and pieces I have read over the past year or so and apologies if it's nuts.

A bit more info here but this seems to say he was working for the King. More reading and research required methinks.

On 10th May, 1941, Hess flew a Me 110 to Scotland. When he parachuted to the ground he was captured by David McLean, of the Home Guard. He asked to be taken to Duke of Hamilton, the “middleman” mentioned in the earlier letter. In fact, Hamilton lived close to where Hess landed (Dungavel House). If Hamilton was the “middleman” who was he acting for. Was it George VI or Winston Churchill? Shortly afterwards Sergeant Daniel McBride and Emyr Morris, reached the scene and took control of the prisoner. Hess’s first words to them were: “Are you friends of the Duke of Hamilton? I have an important message for him.”

After the war Daniel McBride attempted to tell his story of what had happened when he captured Hess. This story originally appeared in the Hongkong Telegraph (6th March, 1947). “The purpose of the former Deputy Fuhrer’s visit to Britain is still a mystery to the general public, but I can say, and with confidence too, that high-ranking Government officials were aware of his coming.” The reason that McBride gives for this opinion is that: “No air-raid warning was given that night, although the plane must have been distinguished during his flight over the city of Glasgow. Nor was the plane plotted at the anti-aircraft control room for the west of Scotland.” McBride concludes from this evidence that someone with great power ordered that Hess should be allowed to land in Scotland. This story was picked up by the German press but went unreported in the rest of the world.

According to Lieutenant-Colonel Malcolm Scott, Hess had told one of his guards that “members of the government” had known about his proposed trip to Scotland. Hess also asked to see George VI as he had been assured before he left Nazi Germany that he had the “King’s protection”. The authors of Double Standards, believe the Duke of Kent, the Duke of Hamilton, Samuel Hoare and Lord Halifax, were all working for the king in their efforts to negotiate with Adolf Hitler.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2013, 03:23:22 pm by True Brit » Logged

" Kate, Pippa and Carole Middleton seen at Manolo Blahnik today.. overheard asking if they carried shoes for cloven hooves. "
Countess of Holland
Duchess

« Reply #89 on: September 15, 2013, 08:16:35 pm »

I watched a documentary where it was said that Edward apparently had been not only meeting with Hitler but perhaps also had shared informations. I would think Edward should have been met with legal actions after the war. So the exile was the best solution to everyone.

For some time after 1939, when the war started, the Duke of Windsor was living in Portugal. the country was 'neutral' (like fascist Spain was neutral) and Lisbon was flooded with agents from both the west and the axis powers. The Duke of Windsor entertained many nazi's and caused a big embarassement to the UK government. In the end the UK government send him to the West Indies, out of sight and away from the nazi's.
Alexandrine
Super Moderator

« Reply #90 on: September 15, 2013, 10:39:15 pm »

^I thought he was living in France? I remember that at least he was there when the nazis invaded the country which caused a big embarrassment and Wallis asked for help to get all her things to the nazis? Or maybe my mind is fuzzy because I watched the doc about the DoW a long time ago.

I'll never understand why the exile, why Edward couldn't just live as a family member even if he wasn't reigning as king. He was already out of the succession and the public and government would never have allowed him to try for the throne again. As far as I can see, he was effectively neutered.

Edward was very popular with the "plebs" while George was still not very accepted. They thought that the establishment had rid of him because he was their ally. So adding the nazi connection exile was the obvious choice.

^ There's also this story about the Duke of Kent and bear with me as I only know the bare bones of it but a growing number of commentators are claiming the plane he was travelling in was deliberately downed and he was killed to stop him communicating between the Nazis and the Duke of Windsor.

There was allegedly a plan to install DoW as a puppet ruler once the King and family had evacuated to Canada in exile. It is confirmed that a plane was kept on constant alert ready to fly the RF out of the country.

Also I believe the documents on this are subject to a 100 year embargo unlike most documents which have 50 years. Further it is the reason that Sir Anthony Blunt made secret missions to Germany (I think) during the war to bring back correspondence between DoW and DoK and the Nazis. Which is why he was never prosecuted when he was revealed as a Soviet spy in the 1970s.

It all is supposed to have something to do with Rudolph Hess who was alleged to have also been on the Duke of Kent's plane and was killed and an imposter kept in Spandau prison all those years.

Yes sounds like the Man in the Iron Mask. Sorry if this sounds jumbled - which it is but it's just bits and pieces I have read over the past year or so and apologies if it's nuts.

A bit more info here but this seems to say he was working for the King. More reading and research required methinks.

The Kent accident is very strange simply because there was one more person than they said at first in the plane. So the DoK was bringing his lover to the meeting or they were going to do something else.  eating cookies I think the papers about this accident should have been already released but they are "lost".

In the Kitty Kelley book she mentions that the Queen Mother/King George asked for the papers in the nazis hands about the duke of windsor to be given to them and they are supposed to be in Windsor.

“Three things are to be looked to in a building: that it stand on the right spot, that it be securely founded, that it be successfully executed.” ~ Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
RoyalWatcher
Baroness

« Reply #91 on: September 16, 2013, 09:47:13 pm »

I had read that Hess was actively seeking a way to overthrow Hitler which is the reason why he was in England. 
Stephanie
Princess

« Reply #92 on: February 24, 2015, 01:53:39 pm »

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2966575/Resplendent-royal-robes-French-exile-Duke-Windsor-poses-garden-country-retreat-shared-Wallis-Simpson-abdication-never-seen-photograph.html
Stephanie
Princess

« Reply #93 on: March 01, 2015, 01:48:40 pm »

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2973681/Edward-Nazi-King-England-Princess-Dianas-biographer-reveals-Duke-Windsor-s-collusion-Hitler.html
Edward the nazi king. nervous
Val
Princess

« Reply #94 on: March 01, 2015, 06:49:58 pm »

Interesting facts now coming out supporting the many rumours over the years.   His stubbornness plus his lazy indolent lifestyle etc are similar to Willy's in so many ways.
cate1949
Princess

« Reply #95 on: March 01, 2015, 07:47:40 pm »

Edward seems like a thoroughly despicable and weak character to me - I'd say the British dodged a disaster with his abdication

His private secretary in later years claimed Edward always planned to abdicate as he did not want to be King with all the responsibilities.  The person claimed he became King so he could build up a financial nest egg and then abdicate in comfort.  His view of Edward is quite negative.  http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-417388/Prince-Charmless-A-damning-portrait-Edward-VIII.html

Edward did briefly entertain the idea of a plot to regain the throne but then lost interest in the project.

I read in a history of WWII that it was the Americans who finally had enough of his dallying with Nazi's and passing state secrets to them.  So they insisted he be sent to Bermuda as governor (off the coast of the US) so they could keep tabs on him.

When you consider his behavior it is understandable that he was sent into exile.  Did you know his biographer claims Wallis had many affairs after the marriage which Edward was aware of and tolerated?

Yes Anthony Blunt is a mystery - the Americans kept warning the Brits they had spies and suspected Blunt.  But the Brits could not imagine that a well bred Eton Oxford gentleman would be a spy.  What idiocy.   Prince George the Duke of Kent was a thoroughly rotten man leaving a wake of affairs, one of which was with Blunt,  suicides and drug addiction.  It is natural I guess to wonder just what happened in the plane crash given how controversial he was some even claimed he was not on the plane and the crash was made up to cover up his death from an overdose.  http://www.express.co.uk/news/royal/414924/Scandal-of-forgotten-Prince-George-Duke-of-Kent-and-his-tormented-lovechild[url]]

Edward did briefly entertain the idea of a plot to regain the throne but then lost interest in the project.

I read in a history of WWII that it was the Americans who finally had enough of his dallying with Nazi's and passing state secrets to them.  So they insisted he be sent to Bermuda as governor (off the coast of the US) so they could keep tabs on him.

When you consider his behavior it is understandable that he was sent into exile.  Did you know his biographer claims Wallis had many affairs after the marriage which Edward was aware of and tolerated?

Yes Anthony Blunt is a mystery - the Americans kept warning the Brits they had spies and suspected Blunt.  But the Brits could not imagine that a well bred Eton Oxford gentleman would be a spy.  What idiocy.   Prince George the Duke of Kent was a thoroughly rotten man leaving a wake of affairs, one of which was with Blunt,  suicides and drug addiction.  It is natural I guess to wonder just what happened in the plane crash given how controversial he was some even claimed he was not on the plane and the crash was made up to cover up his death from an overdose.  http://www.express.co.uk/news/royal/414924/Scandal-of-forgotten-Prince-George-Duke-of-Kent-and-his-tormented-lovechildhttp://

I think the whole myth of Edward and "the woman he loved" and poor Wallis being ostracized by the British establishment is nonsense - he was a true problem and certainly had no loyalty to the British people or his heritage.
Alexandrine
Super Moderator

« Reply #96 on: March 04, 2015, 08:54:20 pm »

Interesting facts now coming out supporting the many rumours over the years.   His stubbornness plus his lazy indolent lifestyle etc are similar to Willy's in so many ways.

Coming out now? I watched a doc a couple of years ago which said exactly the same. Maybe twenty years ago this was known only by those who looked into it but now I think is common knowledge. One can argue if he was in love with Wallis or not but his connections with the nazis were already known and verified.

“Three things are to be looked to in a building: that it stand on the right spot, that it be securely founded, that it be successfully executed.” ~ Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
YooperModerator
Super Moderator

« Reply #97 on: March 05, 2015, 01:22:59 am »

WWII is a passion of mine and there were a lot of people in the world who, in the beginning, thought that Hitler's politics were potentially successful.  It's difficult to equate that now with what we all know but that happens to be a fact.

\\\"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.\\\"  Thomas Jefferson
Rosella
Duchess

« Reply #98 on: March 05, 2015, 02:46:42 am »

WWII is a passion of mine and there were a lot of people in the world who, in the beginning, thought that Hitler's politics were potentially successful.  It's difficult to equate that now with what we all know but that happens to be a fact.

Yes, there were appeasers, including those in the British government, right up until 1940 (when invasion was expected in Britain) and beyond. The trouble with the Duke of Windsor though was that, like his brother the Duke of Kent, he held very right wing views and in his case never changed them.

He was also an anti-semite. In a biography of Rex Harrison his then wife Lilli Palmer, Austrian-born and a Jewess, recalled the Duke and Duchesx regularly calling on them at their home in Italy. The Duke obviously didn't know Lilli's background but he would drop offensive remarks about 'Yids' into the conversation when they were sitting around having drinks after dinner. And this was long after the War.

If it had been me listening to it I would have told him not to come and visit again, but that's just me!
YooperModerator
Super Moderator

« Reply #99 on: March 05, 2015, 03:34:06 am »

FDR was an anti-semite.  I never forget that.

\\\"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.\\\"  Thomas Jefferson
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: