Royal Gossip
November 18, 2018, 02:20:22 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Princess Diana's Fashion, Style, & Beauty  (Read 95882 times)
sandy
Princess

« Reply #200 on: September 12, 2014, 02:32:06 pm »

Frugal living? that certainly does not describe the Cambridges especially with the big empty house refurbished for them that they will rarely use.

The point is Diana earned her keep and was a full time royal. She should have had the help and truly earned it. And remember she did donate many of her iconic gowns and sold them for charity.

Kate is not seen nearly often enough and does little work. But she does have help and spends time shopping and going to beauty parlors.

I don't see why Diana has to be tossed under a bus for Kate to be elevated. Kate has little if any work ethic. Why trash Diana just to try to excuse Kate's laziness.

Diana had her hair colored So what? Kate does get her hair touched up.

She was married to Charles when they had the Mercedes. As I recall both were criticized for it.

Maybe the Queen can get tossed under a bus next to try to elevate the Lazy one.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 02:35:51 pm by sandy » Logged
Jane23
Princess

« Reply #201 on: September 12, 2014, 05:30:42 pm »

I think people get amnesia when it comes to Diana - does everyone forget that Diana EVERY day had a hairdresser come to her home to do her hair?  That her natural color was mousy brown and those glorious golden blonde locks were dyed?  That she had her makeup done by a professional for all her public appearances?  That she had two people who took care of her very extensive wardrobe?  That it required an army of hairdressers, makeup artists, masseuses, speech coaches, dressers, milliners and fashion consultants to keep her looking so stunningly glamorous? That during her days as PoW there were often complaints about the costs of her clothes?  Then there were the physical trainers to keep her fit, the astrologers, the psychotherapists, the colonic irrigations, the weekly ballet classes.

Remember her Mercedes Benz that created such an uproar it had to be returned?   Ah but she worked - but her work never required that she look like she had just stepped out of the pages of Vogue.  

Diana had nannies, a personal chef, two private secretaries, Haslam decorated her KP apartment after the split.  She was no paragon of frugal living either.  

Kate is no great example but neither was her mother in law.
And she had the nerve to bite the hand that fed her and she wasn't even woman enough to do it in the open she did it in the dark stabbing them in the back ...
sandy
Princess

« Reply #202 on: September 12, 2014, 06:33:50 pm »

Oh please. Diana worked a lot harder than Kate does now. I guess people really don't expect too much from royalty now if Kate's (lack of) work ethic is praised and Diana is slammed. Diana would have been criticized if she did not look her best on her appearances. And saying that Kate is frugal is a bad joke.

What about Diana getting backstabbed by Charles (and her so-called) friends putting up Charles and Camilla in safe houses and being nice to Diana's face. Sneaky.

Or Charles friends leaking nasty stories to the press. Sneaky

Yet she is derided.

Charles who was not man enough to drop the mistress and Camilla not woman enough to mind her own business once Charles got married. The little note to Diana the morning after she got engaged--Camilla was a wolf in sheep's clothing.

Yet Diana is derided.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 06:37:47 pm by sandy » Logged
KGap
courtier

« Reply #203 on: September 12, 2014, 06:39:33 pm »

People did complain about her bills, but generally Diana was loved and adored by the British public. Diana brought a unique mix to the table. Beautiful, charismatic, and dedicated to her charities. If she didn't look good, people would be asking why. There is much to be said, that despite Diana's antics, Chuck always shelled out the $$$ for Diana's needs.

Odious Waity is not regarded in such high esteem. She is fake, arrogant, and lazy. Imagine being a british taxpayer forced to put up with her as a member of the royal family. She brings them down. Chuck taking away her credit card says a lot. The change between 2011 and 2014 is staggering.
YooperModerator
Super Moderator

« Reply #204 on: September 12, 2014, 06:46:50 pm »

Personally, I can't believe we're having the conversation.  For all of Diana's faults, and she was a human being after all, there was never any doubt that she took her role and its advantages seriously from everything I've seen and witnessed.  Her philanthropic work stands as testament to that and she knew that playing the part and dressing well was part of the package.  She said so herself.

I don't have a graph but could probably dig one up if there must be a comparison between these two women but Kate Middleton, at this point, doesn't deserve to be in the same category with Diana when it comes down to dedication as a role model and mother.  She worked her tail off for the BRF and was over 10 years younger than this current upstart.  In fact, she wasn't that much older than Kate is when she died.  So, for me, Kate has a long unimaginable climb to get even close to where Diana was in the public eye that continues with respect to this day.

\\\"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.\\\"  Thomas Jefferson
sandy
Princess

« Reply #205 on: September 12, 2014, 07:03:43 pm »

People did complain about her bills, but generally Diana was loved and adored by the British public. Diana brought a unique mix to the table. Beautiful, charismatic, and dedicated to her charities. If she didn't look good, people would be asking why. There is much to be said, that despite Diana's antics, Chuck always shelled out the $$$ for Diana's needs.

Odious Waity is not regarded in such high esteem. She is fake, arrogant, and lazy. Imagine being a british taxpayer forced to put up with her as a member of the royal family. She brings them down. Chuck taking away her credit card says a lot. The change between 2011 and 2014 is staggering.

Diana did not go in for "antics"  (Charles was and is no saint) I think that unfair. She worked very hard and even when the marriage was going downhill and when she was under stress. Kate would taken a permanent compassionate leave if she went through what Diana did back then.

Kate has a very poor work ethic and she gets away with it for some reason.

Nobody really complained about her bills except Charles people would leak stories about Diana's "spending" much like Ari Onassis did about Jackie O. when their marriage was going down hill.

If Diana looked shabby going about she would have been criticized. The Queen would not have allowed Charles to cut off her credit card--during the marriage Diana was representing the Queen on appearances and tours.
AnaBolena
Duchess

We Read To Know We Are Not Alone - C.S Lewis

« Reply #206 on: September 12, 2014, 07:46:33 pm »

I think people get amnesia when it comes to Diana - does everyone forget that Diana EVERY day had a hairdresser come to her home to do her hair?  That her natural color was mousy brown and those glorious golden blonde locks were dyed?  That she had her makeup done by a professional for all her public appearances?  That she had two people who took care of her very extensive wardrobe?  That it required an army of hairdressers, makeup artists, masseuses, speech coaches, dressers, milliners and fashion consultants to keep her looking so stunningly glamorous? That during her days as PoW there were often complaints about the costs of her clothes?  Then there were the physical trainers to keep her fit, the astrologers, the psychotherapists, the colonic irrigations, the weekly ballet classes.

Remember her Mercedes Benz that created such an uproar it had to be returned?   Ah but she worked - but her work never required that she look like she had just stepped out of the pages of Vogue. 

Diana had nannies, a personal chef, two private secretaries, Haslam decorated her KP apartment after the split.  She was no paragon of frugal living either. 

Kate is no great example but neither was her mother in law.

Having someone do your hair every day is overkill when hair is short.  Oh my goodness, I thought she was a blonde the way she's painted by many - mouse brown?  huh  OhhhKay - an improvement she sadly hid - I don't like blonde hair. Period. easter-lol

I once read someone commenting about they wished they could see her sweating it out in McDonalds for 10 hrs and then let everyone say she worked. At the time I thought little of it, but now, yes - I highly doubt the woman ever did an 8hr day let alone 12,14,15 hours.  That's working for it.  I mean really working.  None of the royals IMO really work per se.  They get so much for so very little in comparison to some ppl who are extremely poor and work their tails off for nix. This isn't just about Diana but the lot of them - they don't know true work at all.

The one thing I don't mind about old Waity is her recycling her clothes - Diana could have done a lot more of that than she did. IMO she was a very materialistic woman.

I can also understand Kate needing her hair done for her with it being long hair.

I don't know what anyone else thinks, but I'm starting to wonder if Kate really IS more the type of woman the BRF wants.  We never talk about what might be in her favor as opposed to Diana who did have excellent work ethic, but is that what the RF wanted in a royal wife?  I'm starting to think they want the antithesis of Diana.

Hopefully Waity can stop her exhibitionism and antics, but it's true - both daughter in law and mother in law had/have good and bad points depending on how you look at it.

All that aside, Diana's wedding dress was gorgeous!!!  flirt

“Without music, life would be a mistake.”
sandy
Princess

« Reply #207 on: September 12, 2014, 08:01:11 pm »

Diana donated a selection (enough to fill a catalog) of her iconic gowns to a charity auction.

The Queen, the Queen Mother, Charles, Diana, Anne, and Philip all worked very hard.So I don't think they identify with lazy younger royals.  Even Fergie who was married to the "fourth in line" had a healthier work ethic than Kate does now.

I don't see Kate as "frugal" at all. She had her parents supporting her lavishly and she left the household and now gets supported by the Prince of Wales. I doubt she ever had to really budget.
AnaBolena
Duchess

We Read To Know We Are Not Alone - C.S Lewis

« Reply #208 on: September 12, 2014, 08:21:18 pm »

^ very true! but is kate more the type of wife the RF want to smooth out?  I know, OT - but I'm curious as to why they put up with her then it hit me 'is this what they want'?

As for me, oh goodness no.  I think she's (Kate) lazy as they come, but from their point if view. The RF.

Sorry mods OT, will take this elsewhere.  sorry

“Without music, life would be a mistake.”
KGap
courtier

« Reply #209 on: September 12, 2014, 08:26:16 pm »

Diana did not go in for "antics"  (Charles was and is no saint) I think that unfair. She worked very hard and even when the marriage was going downhill and when she was under stress. Kate would taken a permanent compassionate leave if she went through what Diana did back then.

Kate has a very poor work ethic and she gets away with it for some reason.

Nobody really complained about her bills except Charles people would leak stories about Diana's "spending" much like Ari Onassis did about Jackie O. when their marriage was going down hill.

If Diana looked shabby going about she would have been criticized. The Queen would not have allowed Charles to cut off her credit card--during the marriage Diana was representing the Queen on appearances and tours.

There is no need to rehash the war of the waleses. But lets face it, they were both drama queens. Diana was wronged, but she wasn't the easiest person to deal with (neither was he) They were wrong for each other. end of story.

There is no comparison between Diana and waity. It was also the 80s and a much more deferential time for the royals. Respect is earned. As a royal, Diana earned it, Harry has and is earning it, and even chuck to some extent has built himself up over the years. There will be no sympathy for waitybot and mr. ed.
Freya
Duchess

« Reply #210 on: September 12, 2014, 09:37:28 pm »

Whatever was spent on making Diana look good, it was worth it as she was a brilliant ambassador for the UK and her charities.

Probably the most high maintenance of all of them is Camilla. Designer clothes, designer hats, hairdresser, beauty treatments, retreat, jewellery and security costs on Ray Mill House. There is also the cost of the PR campaign to make her acceptable to the British public. She is one costly woman.
india
Princess

« Reply #211 on: September 13, 2014, 05:31:05 pm »

Excellent commentary Yooper.
cate1949
Princess

« Reply #212 on: September 13, 2014, 11:25:29 pm »

AnaBolena - Diana did recycle her clothes - she would send them back to the designer houses and have them changed in some way so they looked fresh.

So a peplum dress would become straight - the collar would be removed from a dress, the sleeves would be changed - that sort of thing.

And right - none of them including Diana work anywhere near that much - certainly not  a 40 hour work week.  And certainly not enough to justify what it costs to turn out these glamorous looks.  I even think the whole "glamor" thing makes them too much like celebs - they should look good but there is no need for that sort of maintenance.

Compare the color of Di's hair in her engagement pic to what she looked like a few years later - but unlike Kate - you never saw Di with roots

One of the things that Di did which I think was so impressive about her style (although probably expensive too) was how complete she always looked - she knew how to accessorize and how to finish a look which is something Kate woefully lacks.  Look at pics of Diana - her hats would be made in exactly the same color as her dress/suit and often the hat would feature the fabric from her dress which would just tie everything together so well.  Her jewelry also fit whatever she was wearing.  She seemed to really like pearls and used them to such great effect.  She had these gorgeous pearls PC gave her - black ones with white ones - must have cost a fortune but they were gorgeous.  Kate just cannot pull that sort of look off - so it is probably best she sticks with the simpler jewelry she wears.  Plus I just do not see Will buying her  pearls.   ick

sandy
Princess

« Reply #213 on: September 13, 2014, 11:33:23 pm »

I read someplace that Diana lightened her hair because "Charles liked blondes." Though she did not do so until around the time of the wedding--her hair looked a honey blonde color. When Harry was born she had it a lighter blonde.

Kate really needs to update her hairdo.
Principe Raphael
royal watcher

« Reply #214 on: September 14, 2014, 12:26:07 am »

Edited: to speak about Diana's fashion sense, not her personality.

She was not perfect-looking, but like Jackie O, interesting looking and quite photogenic.  One doesn't have to be a classic beauty for people to admire your appearance.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2014, 12:28:05 am by Principe Raphael » Logged
Kuei Fei
Princess

« Reply #215 on: September 17, 2014, 05:46:30 pm »

No matter what, Diana gave full value and never was a snob; she knew how hard people in fashion worked to make those classic frocks and she never put on airs of 'not being a clotheshorse' (you guys know who I'm talking about) and was inventive. As for Diana as a person, she was nineteen and did all she could do, with the little practical skills she had. She was basically there to breed and look good, but later on in life become more in depth and was meeting heads of state. She was not someone who derided the hard work and she MADE several designers into icons, not at all going with more established designers. Besides, she was making so many appearances that she had to wear endless new things and make sure it fit properly.

To receive regular news, go to "@gossippsychotic" to get updates from various other gossip websites such as "Downtown Chatter" or "Royal Gossip Psychotic" and end up reading all about all sorts of peccadilloes.
Miss Hathaway
Countess

« Reply #216 on: September 17, 2014, 06:48:57 pm »

Thank goodness Diana did use a hairdresser and makeup artist.   She was the most photographed woman in the world and she made efforts to look her part.   
Alexandrine
Super Moderator

« Reply #217 on: October 08, 2014, 06:51:21 pm »

'Princess Diana had sheer presence, we had so much fun and I'd love to dress Kate' Late royal's dresser credited with transforming her look shares his favourite memories

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2785282/Princess-Diana-s-dresser-shares-favourite-memories.html#ixzz3FZqCaERW
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

“Three things are to be looked to in a building: that it stand on the right spot, that it be securely founded, that it be successfully executed.” ~ Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Miss Hathaway
Countess

« Reply #218 on: February 17, 2016, 09:10:27 pm »

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-3439040/Princess-Diana-Queen-Princess-Margaret-s-dresses-feature-Kensington-Palace-exhibition.html?ito=social-twitter_dailymailUK

YooperModerator
Super Moderator

« Reply #219 on: February 17, 2016, 09:45:14 pm »

^Wow, another nod to Diana's keen eye.  She either had the finest advisors (and listened to them) or instinctively knew that not only did a dress do her justice but photographed well.  Not many people 'get it' that a dress in the mirror and a dress exposed to flash bulbs are two different animals.   thumbsup

\\\"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.\\\"  Thomas Jefferson
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: