Royal Gossip
September 24, 2017, 05:57:59 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Commonwealth Relationship With The British Monarchy  (Read 24741 times)
Nighthawk
Princess

« on: March 02, 2011, 05:12:01 pm »

Fiji to dump queen from currency
http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5g0G71IUfAaD0WxAIwFaDSmcEF-Wg?docId=CNG.c3b34c9b9309df2fa737f2c85c702358.3d1
Fiji will drop Queen Elizabeth II from its currency and replace her with local plants and animals, the South Pacific nation's military ruler Voreqe Bainimarama has announced.

Bainimarama, who seized power in a bloodless coup in 2006, said Fiji's cabinet had accepted his recommendations for new designs on the country's 10 coin and note denominations, none of which featured the Queen.

"Important and iconic flora and fauna of Fiji has been selected to replace Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II?s portrait," he said in a statement released Tuesday.

He said the new coins would be introduced in June next year.

Bainimarama, who holds the titles of Prime Minister and Finance Minister among a clutch of other portfolios, gave no reason for the change.

Britain supported the Commonwealth's decision to suspend Fiji in 2009 after Bainimarama's government broke a promise to restore democracy following the coup.

Kuei Fei
Princess

Moderator/I'm so royal I piss blue

« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2011, 03:54:12 pm »

On one hand, I understand it, but on the other, sad to see HM being discarded.

To receive regular news, go to "@gossippsychotic" to get updates from various other gossip websites such as "Downtown Chatter" or "Royal Gossip Psychotic" and end up reading all about all sorts of peccadilloes.
Yooper
Princess

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2011, 04:08:12 pm »

Fiji's a parliamentary rep democratic republic now, so it makes sense to me.   I'm going with Jesus on this one.  Render unto Caesar...  Not that HM is like Caesar, but that's their gov't now and their choice.  Don't wanna drag religion into this.  Sorry!

\"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.\"  Thomas Jefferson
YooperModerator
Super Moderator

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2011, 09:04:55 pm »

But I get your point Yoop, it makes sense (like you usually do hihi!)
I mean look at what's starting to happen Down Under, acording to some they are getting closer every day to tear themselves off from the big Brit family as well so..
This might just be the first of a series of articles like it!  dontknow

\\\"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.\\\"  Thomas Jefferson
Yooper
Princess

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2011, 09:22:37 pm »

There does seem to ba a global shift in that direction, indeed.  The times they are a-changing it seems. I wonder what the future holds! All good, I hope, and wise.

\"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.\"  Thomas Jefferson
Kuei Fei
Princess

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2011, 12:20:09 am »

it sounds like the Commonwealth and other such things are breaking up mainly because nations are afraid of being dragged down with others in this economic mess and instability.

To receive regular news, go to "@gossippsychotic" to get updates from various other gossip websites such as "Downtown Chatter" or "Royal Gossip Psychotic" and end up reading all about all sorts of peccadilloes.
Yooper
Princess

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2011, 01:41:50 am »

For me, I think it's bigger than that.  The economic instability is a symptom.  The waste is the cause.  It's one thing to spend your money on a gumball machine when you have a spare .05, 'cause it's a throwaway.  It's another, when that .05 is all you've got.  Your priorities shift dramatically.  No longer is excess acceptable.  You wake up and think, "what about me, where is my money going and what are my priorities?"

The problem is, people have to keep a clear, defined head when they choose to become a democracy.  It's a tough business when nobody's wiping your nose anymore.  You and you alone are responsible for your future, although that future is limitless.  That's the good news.

Not sure the world's ready, but it sure wants it and I don't blame them. 

Alexandrine
Super Moderator

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2011, 02:07:17 pm »

I think it's a good idea to have thread to discuss this topic  flower

An article I found:

WA govt slammed over Queen's $445,000 lift

n the state budget, the WA government said because the first floor of Government House was where all guests would stay and where the governor's private suite was located, $445,000 would be spent on the purchase and installation of an elevator.

A further $282,000 will also be spent on capital works including accommodation upgrades at a cost of $191,000 and the purchase of catering set-up and furnishings for the royal banquet.

http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-national/wa-govt-slammed-over-queens-445000-lift-20110522-1eylc.html

“Three things are to be looked to in a building: that it stand on the right spot, that it be securely founded, that it be successfully executed.” ~ Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Yooper
Princess

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2011, 04:21:11 pm »

Ok, well, that's just bullsh@t, Alexandrine.  It's a law in the US that there has to be handicapped access to pretty much everything for the PUBLIC, but I highly doubt that the public is going to be going up to the Governor's private suite or floor.  I'm really sorry to hear of this expenditure that doesn't consider the overall needs of WA.  What's the latest on Australia's politics regarding the monarchy?

June
Duchess

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2011, 04:56:23 pm »

Given the prolific waste our State and Federal Gvt engages in, it's really small change and not worth worrying about for Western Australian/Australian taxpayers. I have no problem with refurbishment for HM's visit - it may be her last - and I think she's earned it for her good service.  aww

Our position on the monarchy is that it is outdated, archaic and has no place in 21st Century Australia. Most Australians, I would argue, are republican, because the last referendum was in the late 1990s and a great deal has occurred since then. The whole landscape of the Australian economy has altered dramatically.

Our Federal Gvt is republican by policy and is waiting for the right time to put a referendum to the Australian people. However, it isn't what it known as a high priority, or any at all at the moment ... too many others more serious matters to contend with. It was always agreed that there would be no referendum until HM is deceased, out of respect. However, since I don't trust the current Federal Gvt - and I'm not alone - that would not stop them, IF they didn't have their backs to the wall over other, more compelling matters.

There is a great deal of apathy toward the BRF. Even Mary has really waned in popularity, not that it's relevant politically of course, but Australians just don't give a fig about royalty. Australians can be rude, crude and myopically uncultured, whilst we have no class system in the Feudal sense. Except of course, there are a select few of us, who care about the monarchy and the republic issue, for varying reasons.  easter-wink

I could ramble on about what is happening regarding Australia's place in the Commonwealth, but I am way past my bedtime. Good evening. I'll try to post this update tomorrow, time permitting.
Alexandrine
Super Moderator

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2011, 05:09:14 pm »

Interesting June, I hope you continue to tell us what's happening in Australia.  interview

“Three things are to be looked to in a building: that it stand on the right spot, that it be securely founded, that it be successfully executed.” ~ Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Yooper
Princess

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2011, 05:09:57 pm »

Good to know, June.  I'm just so weary of seeing money going out, out, out.

Interesting info!  'Hope you have a good night's rest.  I'm on my way to bulldoze my way through Nordstrom's semi-yearly women's sale to find SOMETHING for my class reunion.  It's an ugly thing, shopping with a bunch of desperate women.  runforhills

June
Duchess

« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2011, 05:14:39 pm »

Thank you ladies, you are so kind.  Bless you. Kiss  loveshower

I had a hectic day, and I'm having trouble sleeping.  TCP baking cookies Fortunately, I can survive on little sleep when needed.

The update would be more intellectual and I'm just not up to that right now! I'll only tell you lies.  tehe

Yooper, you are so funny - good luck!  lips  lols
Alexandrine
Super Moderator

« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2011, 02:11:25 pm »

Republic a low priority: Rudd

However, Mr Rudd confirmed the Labor Party's intention for Australia's future.

"The Australian Labor Party is committed to turning the country into a republic," he said.

"We've not stipulated a timeline for doing that. We are sensitive to the other priorities we've got as a nation and in the world, but in time the country will head in that direction.

"There is a deep affection in Australia for the Queen and I mean, the Queen has been the queen ever since I was born. She is part of the firmament of Australia's national life. There is a deep respect for her role. But the country is evolving."

While Prime Minister Julia Gillard has said that Australia should become a republic at the end of the Queen's reign, Mr Rudd did not rule out Prince Charles becoming Australia's king.

http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-world/republic-a-low-priority-rudd-20110612-1fz2y.html

The Widow Jones
royal watcher

never put a blanket over a sleeping owl

« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2011, 01:31:07 am »

Fiji's a parliamentary rep democratic republic now, so it makes sense to me.   I'm going with Jesus on this one.  Render unto Caesar...  Not that HM is like Caesar, but that's their gov't now and their choice.  Don't wanna drag religion into this.  Sorry!

The irony of that statement there Y is that Fiji is now under the rule of a somewhat nasty military dictator who refuses to hold elections. Fiji got kicked out of the Commonwealth because of it.
Alexandrine
Super Moderator

« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2011, 03:56:22 pm »

Maori MP Hone Harawira refuses Queen allegiance

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-14153963

Harawira addresses media after being thrown out

http://www.3news.co.nz/Harawira-addresses-media-after-being-thrown-out/tabid/419/articleID/218839/Default.aspx

Kuei Fei
Princess

« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2011, 10:08:03 am »

Australians can be rude, crude and myopically uncultured, whilst we have no class system in the Feudal sense.

Which is precisely why there is no point in worrying about whether or not Australia will make a solid Republic, you are already self sufficient in the fundamental sense. thumbsup

Alexandrine
Super Moderator

« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2011, 08:58:02 pm »

Ottawa under fire for taking down Quebec art

http://www.cbc.ca/news/arts/story/2011/07/27/montreal-art-ottawa-727.html

Canada to put "Royal" back in its Navy, Air Force

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/08/15/canada-royal-idUSN1E77E19020110815
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 09:29:30 pm by Alexandrine » Logged

Alexandrine
Super Moderator

« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2011, 10:06:42 pm »

Tim Harper: Her majesty becomes a wedge issue

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/politics/article/1051255--tim-harper-her-majesty-becomes-a-wedge-issue?bn=1

very interesting article imo

Kuei Fei
Princess

« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2011, 05:41:30 am »

I wonder if it is because the Commonwealth countries don't get a single, stinking bit of attention from the BRF at all. It's not like the members are out touring, out bringing jobs to Commonwealth nations, or bothering to raise money for the needy in Commonwealth countries. They don't spend time at the embassies of the Commonwealth countries schmoozing with the representatives there, or inviting them to pleasant (formal or informal) luncheons or dinners. The monarchy concentrates on African charities or British charities, not Commonwealth charities. They are becoming kind of a disgrace now that they are not behaving well and I don't see William being taken seriously if he takes Kate on State visits. The Commonwealth is like a collection of shoes that you have in your closet taking up space, but don't really wear, or care about even. The only reason the Commonwealth seems to be around is to make the monarchy look good, really when you think about it, they're the remnants of the British Empire, that's really it to be frank.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: