Royal Gossip
April 25, 2019, 11:26:14 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Royal Wedding May Be Terror Target  (Read 3490 times)
Yooper
Princess

« on: February 21, 2011, 06:18:18 pm »

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/ipad/royal-wedding-may-be-terror-target/story-fn6s850w-1226009784663

\"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.\"  Thomas Jefferson
Kuei Fei
Princess

« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2011, 06:54:42 pm »

They should do this in a chapel, discreetly, with a couple of cameras and photographers.

To receive regular news, go to "@gossippsychotic" to get updates from various other gossip websites such as "Downtown Chatter" or "Royal Gossip Psychotic" and end up reading all about all sorts of peccadilloes.
Ella
Countess

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2011, 07:06:41 pm »

Two things make terror targets, large crowds and well known-people who other normal people will cry about if they die. This has both. Maybe I'm jaded but terror threats are just "meh" and normal to me. I was young when 9/11 happened so I've never heard a big event not being a target.

I'm more than sure security forces anticipated threats and have prepared accordingly. I think the press is just trying to add drama or something to this dull union.
Kuei Fei
Princess

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2011, 07:08:03 pm »

When Diana and cahrles married, there were REAL threats from the IRA, but at the same time economic conditions weren't this bad.

To receive regular news, go to "@gossippsychotic" to get updates from various other gossip websites such as "Downtown Chatter" or "Royal Gossip Psychotic" and end up reading all about all sorts of peccadilloes.
Yooper
Princess

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2011, 08:06:30 pm »

I was not young during 9/11 and find no terror threat something to disregard.

\"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.\"  Thomas Jefferson
True Brit
Duchess

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2011, 08:18:51 pm »

Irish dissidents have indeed been regrouping of late. There have been a number of indcidents in Northern Ireland. The only thing that has always been worrying about the IRA is that they are part of an international group of terrorists.
Mind you, half of me wonders if they are building up a potential threat as an excuse to cancel  this appalling wedding (ah well can but hypothesise).

" Kate, Pippa and Carole Middleton seen at Manolo Blahnik today.. overheard asking if they carried shoes for cloven hooves. "
Ella
Countess

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2011, 10:04:55 pm »

I was not young during 9/11 and find no terror threat something to disregard.

I guess complacency has set in with me over the years because I don't really remember much of the "real world" before terrorism or someone being out to get us.  hide

Every big event I've ever attended had always had tons of security and metal detectors, last year, a man crashed his plane into an Austin skyscraper (didn't do much, killed one person), and in 2009 a building near where my mom works in Dallas was targeted by a terrorist, but he was stopped because they'd been following him and sold him fake explosives. All my male relatives, save one of my brothers and father, are either in the military, veterans, or federal law enforcement but were military, so it's not unusual for me to hear about threats or horrible things happening somewhere. That doesn't even include "cyber"-terror threats, which are more frequent and harder to stop, but cause a lot of damage, either by unauthorized access to military data (not talking wikileaks here, but like other foreign entities) or financial data.

Now we have the border drug problems on top of it all (two of my uncles work in that area and one of my aunt's co-workers was killed last week, his family got a call from Obama), so it never seems to end or change aside from another threat popping up. I guess I forget that it's not normal for there to be problems like that to begin with.

More on topic, I think this will really be one of the safest events to be at. All the security for each foreign royal and important person will pretty much ensure it's safe.
Yooper
Princess

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2011, 10:12:45 pm »

I live in San Diego a border and military town so I am not ignorant to all kinds of attacks and lost a friend in 9/11 and they weren't famous. Complacency is exactly what terrorists hope for.

mousiekins
Super Moderator

Harryite #2

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2011, 10:20:41 pm »

Can I ask how old you are Ella?  BFF2

I was 14 during the time of the Twin Towers attack and remember watching it live as it happened on TV. I think you made a good point in that is can be easy to become desensitised to terror attacks especially those of us of this generation as we are used to being on high alert.

It is not something one should be ashamed of I believe as I think it is just a result of our way of life. Noone bats an eyelid at Police and security being everywhere or bomb squads patrolling justs meters away. It has become a way of life in the 21st Century.

Every day it seems a soldier has been killed in War and many are killed in explosions and I think sometimes it washes over me.

When an event of a grand scale happens and there are reports of terror attacks it is easy to  wellduh but it is an issue and we have to hope that those who jobs ( like your amazing family) who we put our life and faith in do not become complacent and do their jobs. We should also pray that we will know what do if faced with a situation that needs our help.

I hope Scotland Yard is on top form and doing their upmost best to make sure London is safe for this wedding as I pray noone will be hurt due to people who are misguided in their fear and hatred.

Nighthawk
Princess

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2011, 10:24:16 pm »

I doubt that they'll be a problem with all the Money that the tax payes are forking out for these two idiots to get married let alone some *butt* coming in and ruining this wedding for precious WK.
Yooper
Princess

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2011, 10:28:36 pm »

Ella, my post wasn't meant to be as cranky as it sounds.  Bad day here.  But, I do believe that complacency is a dangerous stance however understandable. Terrorists come in many forms and the IRA has indeed spread so its prudent to be watchful. Just my opinion.

serene grace
Princess

Appointed Moderator

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2011, 10:44:36 pm »

I live in San Diego a border and military town so I am not ignorant to all kinds of attacks and lost a friend in 9/11 and they weren't famous. Complacency is exactly what terrorists hope for.

Yooper I worry about that border down there near San Diego, things are so terrible in Mexico and it's drifting into the US border areas. Please be careful.

Thank goodness the British goverment will have security out in full force to protect the Royals and guests on the wedding day.

[/URL]
Nighthawk
Princess

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2011, 11:08:00 pm »

Agree SG even if it's at the expense of the poor peoples taxes that are paying for these 2
Ella
Countess

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2011, 11:42:16 pm »

Can I ask how old you are Ella?  BFF2

I turned 21 in early January! celebration

I'm just too used to it, for the reasons you said. BFF2 I know it's bad to be desensitized about it and I try to keep vigilant in public places, but it does get hard to be on alert constantly when it seems like every day something else comes to light, either a new threat or attack.

I know terrorists come in all forms (personally I think the cartels are terrorists, even though they're not classed as a terror group, there's a real culture of fear on the border, worse than is reported anywhere), but I really do think the wedding, guests, and well-wishers will be safe. I definitely hope/pray so, of course, but I think logistically, it'll be one of the safest because not only do they have plenty of time to make the area secure, but because they'll get all the funding they need for extra security, manpower, etc. No PM of any political persuasion wants an attack during such a large event during his tenure, so I have no doubt that they're working hard to make it safe.
mousiekins
Super Moderator

Harryite #2

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2011, 11:51:26 pm »

I belated happy birthday, my brother turned 21 in Dec.

I understand as before the 'War On Terror' we had the IRA here in the UK and still do.

Lanvin Pearls
Countess

« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2011, 01:20:42 am »

I say THANK GOD my Prez and First Lady shall remain safe then.  Long live America The Beautiful !!   flirt

(If greedy (Kugly and Wugly and the BRF) people are going to put themselves out there, then, suffer the consequences, sad as they might be. God forbid.) .

Sorry, but your queen should know better. She should have considered EVERYTHING and she did not. She is nothing but a fool. More than ever, a FOOL.  Tongue

June
Duchess

« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2011, 01:35:48 am »

^ You make a rather unassailable case, LP.  BFF2

This may be another reason the US President wasn't invited. Perhaps the security concern was just too great in these troubled times.

Yooper: as usual, thoughtful posts.  thumbsup

Nighthawk: I enjoy your straight-to-the point, no-holds-barred posts!

KF: I agree; this wedding should have been low-key in this day and age ... its a vastly different world from when Charles and Diana married.

Who in their right mind would think that these two spoilt brats getting married would lift anyone's spirits? I mean, outside of their circle?  For goodness sake, even if I wanted to watch their tacky wedding, it won't change my life, nor eradicate my own problems?  eightball It would simply mean a television show I was waiting to watch ... I don't fawn over people I don't know, nor do I wish them the greatest of happiness. I reserve that for people I actually know, who are deserving of my concern and sentiment.

Of course, I get deeply moved and even distressed when people have been harmed or suffering - but having compassion for others is a different thing to worshipping pampered celebrities.  TCP baking cookies

I don't get that part of celebrity worship, I really don't.  easter-think Perhaps it's an Australian thing, with mature Australians, that is.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: