Royal Gossip
December 17, 2018, 07:44:53 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Modernizing the monarchy?  (Read 1325 times)
windsor2
Princess

Harryite #21

« on: August 12, 2018, 12:55:28 am »

Does Queen Elizabeth really deserve credit for modernizing the monarchy?
This current issue of People Magazine is just People’s in-house promotion of their documentary special, The Story of the Royals, which airs on ABC on August 22 and 23rd. I’m not expecting the documentary to break any news, especially since People’s cover story seems to be so friggin’ lame and obvious. The House of Windsor is not in bad shape – Prince Harry and Prince William are pretty popular, and their wives are very popular too. The Cambridge children will grow up in front of the cameras and people will love that. Meghan will get pregnant and people will love that storyline too. That’s all this is, and all it’s ever been: a soap opera. A publicly funded soap opera. Let’s not kid ourselves.
Like all soap operas, there are storylines and “brands” and a “cast of characters.” What’s interesting now is who is getting credit for what. According to People, the Queen should get a lot of credit for “modernizing” and “allowing” William to marry the sainted peasant Kate of the Bucklebury Middletons. And Saint Kate’s entrance led the way for Meghan to marry Harry. So, basically, Queen Liz and Saint Kate are responsible for everything we see now.
There have been times of crisis when the House of Windsor creaked and almost crumbled. The tragic death of Princess Diana 21 years ago this month brought questions about how close the royals were to the feelings of the people they serve. And the gossip-laden ending of the marriages of Prince Charles and Diana and Prince Andrew and Sarah Ferguson, coinciding with the fire at Windsor Castle (all in 1992), made it feel more soap opera than stately. But, after steadying the ship by agreeing to some modernizing changes, and, more significantly, permitting Diana’s sons Prince William and Prince Harry to marry Kate Middleton and Meghan Markle, respectively (commoners whom they simply fell in love with), Queen Elizabeth has strengthened the institution she has led for 66 years.
“She’s insuring the future of the monarchy by being open and flexible and adapting,” former palace staffer Colleen Harris says in this week’s issue of PEOPLE. “She’s allowing it to rebrand.” She notes how some people around the palace were “quite shocked” that William was marrying “an ordinary middle-class girl with no background in royalty or aristocracy,” when he wed Princess Kate in 2011. “People then sort of thought, an ordinary person can grow up and marry into the royal family. How exciting, how different! With [Meghan], that takes it even a step further.”
Harris, who was on Charles’ press team from 1998 until 2003 and was the first black member of the royal household, adds, “The Queen is allowing the royal family to modernize. We have come a real long way. They are not stuffy and immovable.”
It was Kate, for example, who was the prime mover behind the royals’ successful adoption of a strategy to tackle mental health challenges. Lorraine Heggessey, CEO of the Royal Foundation, which runs the charitable endeavors of the younger royals, says that the 36-year-old mom of three is “thoughtful, strategic and equally committed to bringing about change. And she often spots the nub of the issue or a critical thing that needs dealing with.”
[From People]
Saint Kate: Nub Spotter. No, scratch that. Saint Kate: Keen To Spot Nubs. I’m sorry, I can’t even type because I’m laughing at my own dumb joke. NUB SPOTTER. Who knew that Kate really was working this whole time? She was nub-spotting for YEARS. Literally, years.
As for the rest of it… yeah, I love 20th century royal history as much as the next person, so I know that it’s not like the Queen was some brilliant branding expert this whole time. A great deal of the credit for the royal family’s late-’90s rebrand should go to Tony Blair, who saw that the Queen’s bad instincts were going to destroy the institution completely. And it sort of pisses me off to see Charles’ erasure from this narrative too – Charles is far from perfect, but he has much better PR instincts than his mother as well, and he’s good at being patient and playing things out over the course of years.
As for “people were so surprised that William deigned to marry a peasant lass, a lowly nub-spotter of yore” stuff… literally no one was surprised that William married someone who was not an aristocrat or from any kind of “old family.” Kate had waity’d for a decade and people had gotten used to the idea that she was going to get the ring. The only surprise was that Kate seemed to be William’s ONLY option.
https://www.celebitchy.com/588027/does_queen_elizabeth_really_deserve_credit_for_modernizing_the_monarchy/
Look at the state of things for Charles, Wills and Harry and the women they married. That's not modernization, but bringing the monarchy down to the low rent state it is now. The pr lies, trashy behavior and constant blinds (rumors) that MM is a play for play type chick.  Lips Sealed
SATURDAY, AUGUST 11, 2018
Blind Items Revealed #4
April 7, 2018
An author that is working on a book about the future royal couple found two more men who said the at the time bit player on a network show was strictly pay for play.
Meghan Markle
http://www.crazydaysandnights.net/2018/08/blind-items-revealed-4_11.html
God save the queen because once she's gone, so goes the monarchy that used to be something to admire and respect.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2018, 01:01:03 am by windsor2 » Logged

Keep Calm and Carry On
Val
Princess

« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2018, 08:16:26 am »

I used to be a great Monarchist even belonging to my local Monarchist group.  I can’t wait to see this downmarket Z listers soap opera end now.   Tax payers money is being totally wasted supporting this mooching, lazy, self indulgent, duping the public lot.  Yes the Queen has worked hard and lead a fairly impeccable lifestyle but she is responsible for allowing the wrong people in and dragging it to the gutter.  No one respects it anymore except a diminishing group of lacking in grey matter sugars.
Ariel
Duchess

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2018, 08:58:23 am »

^^I have a comment on that but I'll write it in the MO thread cause  ick
HRHOlya
Duchess

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2018, 01:46:32 pm »

She "modernized" because she had to. All kicking and screaming. And all this "modernization" and the British house is still the most old fashioned in Europe. That says a lot. I never realized how in fact old fashioned they are, until I started looking closer at the other houses in Europe. I think only the imperial house of Japan tops them. Can't say about other houses all over the world, as I'm not very familiar with them (but I'm sure some of them still live in medieval times too, making the Winds look positively progressive and modern. Oh yeah and many abolished houses who still won't accept "commoners". Good Gawd. Daft tw*ts).

The one person who really deserves credit for modernizing is Diana. Before her the Winds wouldn't even touch the great unwashed, even gloved up, never mind anything else.

Liz is only credited with modernization because she's loved for so long. All actual modernizing was done by other people and at other people's advice & request. She had to adapt in order for the crown to survive. Otherwise they'd still be as always.
They celebrate Xmas the was Vic & Alb used to for crying out loud! I find it embarrassing how many "traditions" they stick with and won't let go, and all of them introduced by Vic & Alb. I find that a tad disturbing tbh. They get in a huff over being called "German", but celebrate Xmas like Germans and act as if Vic & Alb were Adam & Eve, the first ever couple and the first on the throne of England, as if no one before existed. Crazy.

Liz is also only respected because of her age. Everyone who "loves" the queen does so because she's been around for absolutely fcking ever. No one knows even a bit of her private side (except for accounts by others, eg she's great at mimicking people and has a great sense of humour supposedly) and some things that are known of her private side aren't that great either.

Not to get in the age old repeated discussion, but the one who really opened the floodgates is Camz. Then Waity indeed. Murky fits right in. Modernize none of them will. Camz & Waity like to do barely anything. Waity loves playing "born to the manor", so again moderni-what? And Murky will also love playing "to the manor born", a new role in addition to "great humanitarian", "black", "mixed race", "trailblazer", "revolutionary" (the dish soap ad you guys!) and "feminist" as well as "people's darling" and "little girl lost in the big adoring crowd". Some of these roles might poof out soon (approx 1-2 years after marriage).

Besides, normal people have standards for brides and grooms too, so what about these great "houses" letting in all these tarts? But granted, you can have standards, doesn't mean your family will follow them. Black sheep in the family too, so really, little leg to stand on.

PS No offense, but Murky uses and overuses the race card, like W&H (& their wives!) use and overuse the Diana card and Kate used to use and overuse the one of the people & middle class card.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2018, 01:49:57 pm by HRHOlya » Logged
Sheridan_is_appalled
Baroness

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2018, 02:10:42 pm »

^Totally agree with this entire post, from beginning to end.  Hi

Existing is not modernizing. Revolutionary what? Breath of fresh air who?

I haven't played since I stopped
HRHOlya
Duchess

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2018, 02:45:35 pm »

thankyou
Yeah exactly.

And it just occurred to me: using "adapting" is really the most apt word, "modernizing" never. Not the Winds.

Liz had to and did adapt, grudgingly. The crown was at stake. Had it not been, they'd still speak as if they have plums in their mouths (like to the manor born Kate does) and say "pip pip" at the end of every sentence and be decked out in diamonds & fur & gloves all the frikkin time!
windsor2
Princess

Harryite #21

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2018, 03:13:18 pm »

Where it's modernization or adaptation, the focus is on the mess those married in brought with them because of the poor choices each prince made by marrying them. They're no different in many ways than reality show stars. Their charaties suffer because of the laziness that Waity brings to the table and Wills seems to condone that, Camillia is also lazy but seems to get a bit of respect surprisingly. Lying MM is just the dreck that keeps on giving because people ee what a con she is and what she's after. Her charity work was purely pr, one visit and a puff peice in the press and done. She has no credibility and no compassion for the people of the uK and the commonwealth as she swans around in her very expensive attire. As long as she's seen as part of the royal family, they can't be taken seriously or believed because they're supporting this trollop.
The pr games that M has been playing and getting away with from the beginning is suspicious because she should've been shut down and dismissed a long time ago like the other floozies that tried it with Harry. Things still don't add up with her and this marriage as well as the rule breaking done by the royals on her behalf. The press is giving her dad a big platform to speek his mnd about her and how he's been treated, so it's a mater of time before the keg breaks and the truth about why tis was allowed, MM and her pr games, because the image of Harry and the monarchy's very tainted now and the public's rightly ticked off and just want her and her family gone nd the soap opera to end.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2018, 03:21:25 pm by windsor2 » Logged

Keep Calm and Carry On
lesken
Countess

Live, Love, Laugh

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2018, 03:59:58 pm »

She's modernized the monarchy right into Kardashia land. Way to go Queenie.

The only constant is change.
HRHOlya
Duchess

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2018, 06:40:36 pm »

^ lols thumbsup
Snowpea
Duchess

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2018, 09:03:25 pm »

She "modernized" because she had to. All kicking and screaming. And all this "modernization" and the British house is still the most old fashioned in Europe. That says a lot. I never realized how in fact old fashioned they are, until I started looking closer at the other houses in Europe. I think only the imperial house of Japan tops them. Can't say about other houses all over the world, as I'm not very familiar with them (but I'm sure some of them still live in medieval times too, making the Winds look positively progressive and modern. Oh yeah and many abolished houses who still won't accept "commoners". Good Gawd. Daft tw*ts).

The one person who really deserves credit for modernizing is Diana. Before her the Winds wouldn't even touch the great unwashed, even gloved up, never mind anything else.

Liz is only credited with modernization because she's loved for so long. All actual modernizing was done by other people and at other people's advice & request. She had to adapt in order for the crown to survive. Otherwise they'd still be as always.
They celebrate Xmas the was Vic & Alb used to for crying out loud! I find it embarrassing how many "traditions" they stick with and won't let go, and all of them introduced by Vic & Alb. I find that a tad disturbing tbh. They get in a huff over being called "German", but celebrate Xmas like Germans and act as if Vic & Alb were Adam & Eve, the first ever couple and the first on the throne of England, as if no one before existed. Crazy.

Liz is also only respected because of her age. Everyone who "loves" the queen does so because she's been around for absolutely fcking ever. No one knows even a bit of her private side (except for accounts by others, eg she's great at mimicking people and has a great sense of humour supposedly) and some things that are known of her private side aren't that great either.

Not to get in the age old repeated discussion, but the one who really opened the floodgates is Camz. Then Waity indeed. Murky fits right in. Modernize none of them will. Camz & Waity like to do barely anything. Waity loves playing "born to the manor", so again moderni-what? And Murky will also love playing "to the manor born", a new role in addition to "great humanitarian", "black", "mixed race", "trailblazer", "revolutionary" (the dish soap ad you guys!) and "feminist" as well as "people's darling" and "little girl lost in the big adoring crowd". Some of these roles might poof out soon (approx 1-2 years after marriage).

Besides, normal people have standards for brides and grooms too, so what about these great "houses" letting in all these tarts? But granted, you can have standards, doesn't mean your family will follow them. Black sheep in the family too, so really, little leg to stand on.

PS No offense, but Murky uses and overuses the race card, like W&H (& their wives!) use and overuse the Diana card and Kate used to use and overuse the one of the people & middle class card.

Actually Prince Albert was a great modernizer in an extent that left Diana in the dust.

That said, Diana's sons are the ones who have turned back the clock in a way: booty calls, gauche climbers, and gold-digging mistresses had way more clout in the olden days than they should have now, but thanks to these idiots, being a fortune-seeking h# is okay.  bignono
HRHOlya
Duchess

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2018, 10:44:03 pm »

^ Oh certainly, Albert was unique, really, he not only "modernized" (more like "transformed") the monarchy and gave them a totally new image (a "family"!), he totally revolutionized and transformed the whole country, along with the dynasty. Albert is in that regard in a league of his own. Who knows what he'd accomplished and done had he not died so young. You really have to wonder...

I agree with the rest too thumbsup
windsor2
Princess

Harryite #21

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2018, 01:21:02 am »

^^very well said. It's sickening that they're then parded around children and teenagers as women to admire and take advice from.  the message's loud and clear and reinforced at the highest level in society.  ick

Keep Calm and Carry On
Snowpea
Duchess

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2018, 02:06:05 am »

^ Oh certainly, Albert was unique, really, he not only "modernized" (more like "transformed") the monarchy and gave them a totally new image (a "family"!), he totally revolutionized and transformed the whole country, along with the dynasty. Albert is in that regard in a league of his own. Who knows what he'd accomplished and done had he not died so young. You really have to wonder...

I agree with the rest too thumbsup

I am writing a book about his mother so I just had to interject with that. easter-lol

Just another reason I get so disgusted with Billy and Harry and what they have done - bringing these 2 embarrassments into the family.
marion
Duchess

« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2018, 05:12:09 am »

As for waity being the prime mover re tackling mental health issues, pass the vomit bucket if you can find one large enough. Diana was doing  that long before waity was even heard of
HRHOlya
Duchess

« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2018, 03:28:05 pm »

^^ Oh wow good luck with your book!! goodluck
Yeah, I know... I think the brightness entered and left the family with Albert and mostly married-ins I'd say... The main line could do with some brains, but alas..
YooperModerator
Super Moderator

« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2018, 03:46:32 pm »

Cheapening something isn't modernizing.  Lowering standards while still reaping rewards is a losing proposition.  The whole point for their existence is to be majestic, public servants, something which to aspire and humility of position.

They have become none of these things.

\\\"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.\\\"  Thomas Jefferson
LadySnowWhite
royal watcher

« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2018, 11:01:19 pm »

^^ I am really interested in this conversation and glad I came upon it!

What would "majestic, public servants, something which to aspire and humility of position" look like for you, or everyone here? If the British monarchy MUST exist and be paid for by the subjects, what should they really be doing? What do we want?  Is Diana the spirit we want, or is it HM?  A combination of both?  

For some it is about numbers - numbers of engagements or numbers of days worked in public.  For others, it is quality - quality of speeches, sound bites, the engagement choices themselves. For others, they want more personality.  For others, they don't want any - just get to work and don't show your opinion or passions.

Build the ideal British monarchy for present and near-future times.  What ought "the standard" be?
Sheridan_is_appalled
Baroness

« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2018, 01:55:39 am »

No monarchy at all is my ideal.  Let these tw@ts fend for themselves and know what it means to really work, not showing up at Wimbledon or unveiling statues in outfits that cost more than a car.

I haven't played since I stopped
Val
Princess

« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2018, 02:52:13 am »

^

More and more thinking exactly that too, myself included, a once very staunch monarchist who belonged to the local Monarchy group.
marion
Duchess

« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2018, 05:18:41 am »

^^I doubt any of them would last 5 minutes in the real world
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: